1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Walton: Shaq should've thought before he spoke

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ShanghaiShark, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ShanghaiShark

ShanghaiShark Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/walton_bill/1493849.html

How many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry?

Although the comments have been reported before, the recent release of recordings of Shaquille O'Neal mocking, criticizing and generally disrespecting Yao Ming are startling.

Being bigger than the other kids while growing up, Shaq knows what it's like to be different.
    How disappointing for Shaq -- he should know better. He's the leader of the NBA and you expect more from him. Can you imagine Bill Russell, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic, Hakeem or David Robinson saying anything like this?

We constantly hear from people like Shaq that they want to be respected. Well, to get respect, you must give respect. We live in a world and society where diversity needs to be encouraged not discouraged. If Shaq were your 10-year-old child, what would you do or say to him after making such comments?

What if Yao Ming had said something about Shaq's ethnicity? You can imagine the outcry and it would be justified. But it has to cut both ways. Where is Jessie Jackson? Where is Al Sharpton? Where is Johnnie Cochran?

Yao Ming has far too much class to get involved in this nonsense but you know it has to hurt. With the way he has been mistreated, manhandled and butchered by so many for simply coming here to play basketball -- something he was asked to do -- he must be asking himself, "What is going on here?"

There is no place in our world for Shaq's intolerance and insensitivity. And this from a man who has as much experience and knowledge in dealing with the media as anyone alive today. Shaq is a man who has obviously been teased and made fun of a lot in his life because he is visually different from what some consider the "norm." He can't like it when it happens to him -- so why this?

And as far as Shaq's 'apology' is concerned, well, I don't get it when someone says, 'IF I offended anyone, I'm sorry.' That tactic really worked well for Trent Lott.

If that is what he is saying publicly ... then what can he be thinking privately?

And as far as Shaq's "apology" is concerned, well, I don't get it when someone says, "IF I offended anyone, I'm sorry." That tactic really worked well for Trent Lott.

But is this any worse than what the Miami Heat did when Yao Ming came to play in South Florida and the Heat -- as a promotion -- handed out fortune cookies? You can never ignore or rank levels of intolerance of any nature.

Just remember the quote on the wall at the Holocaust Museum in our Washington, D.C. that tells the story of the people who didn't complain or object to the mistreatment of others. Their final lament was "That when they finally came for me, there was nobody left to complain."

How many times can a man turn his head, pretending he just doesn't see?

Bill Walton, who is an NBA analyst for ESPN, is a regular contributor to ESPN.com.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Walton should stick to basketball because this article stinks.

3. Rocketsss

Rocketsss Member

It isn't stink, it does make some sense. way to go bill walton.

4. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

ShanghaiShark, I think you might get flamed here.

By the way, I agreed with this article.

5. Toast

Toast Member

"What if Yao Ming had said something about Shaq's ethnicity? You can imagine the outcry and it would be justified. But it has to cut both ways. Where is Jessie Jackson? Where is Al Sharpton? Where is Johnnie Cochran?"

I like this part. Not so much because of its relevance to Shaq's comments, but because it points out people like Jessie Jackson just go chasing headlines where they think black people are being treated unfairly, in hopes of getting some media attention.

I don't think Shaq's comments were THAT bad, considering Shaq's been known to have some fun with the media, but Walton's right. If someone said derogatory remarks about Shaq and his racial background, you KNOW there would be some consequences.

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Ive have no clue what you're talking about.

I know it's been beaten to death but It's pretty much right on point.

7. Friday

Friday Contributing Member

I've gotta agree with Bill this time... Joke or not.

But he should heed his own advice though, I'm sick of his own stupid a$$ comments...

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The reason I think the article stinks is because he describes Shaq as intolerant. Stupid and ignorant? Yes!! But intolerant no. Did Shaq ever say Yao wouldn't make it because he was chinese? Did Shaq not compliment Yao after the first Lakers game? Shaq said he was going to introduce him to some bows which is a sign of respect for him.

Shaq made stupid ignorant comments in an attempt to be funny. It failed but he apologized and that should be that. I think Walton is the one that is intolerant because he has to bring the subject up again a week after the fact. Even after Shaq apologized.

There is a big difference between Shaq and Lott. Lott was being serious and has alot of power in policies that effect minorities. Shaq was joking and no one takes him seriously unless he dunking on you.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Intolerance? Since when has Shaq been intolerant? He said he was happy for Yao.

Bill Walton is just overstating the importance of the comments of a basketball player. Shaq throws a ball into a hoop for a living. It's not that big a deal.

And he's not Trent Lott. Trent Lott is a Senator and probably racist.

10. moomoo

moomoo Member

Just to set the record straight, this is a transcript of a commentary that Walton read on Monday, January 13, on the Dan Patrick show. Shaq apologized on the Friday before that.

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Rockbox

Shut up you idiot before I punch you in the freaking grill.

Does that sound like respect to you. That has to be the all time worst internet argument ever. Respect..no. Maybe Shaq does respect Yao now, maybe not, when you say your going to drop elbows on someone....meaning it or not.....at that moment is anything but respect.

12. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Right on.

13. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

His article is RIGHT ON. NO, he is not overreacting. How would the NBA react if Yao all of a sudden did his best imitation of a gorilla when asked about Shaq? Just think about it for a second.

14. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I think Shaq and Walton had a falling out over some comments Walton made about his weight being one of the reasons his toe hurt. Shaq even threatened him after a game once. This definitely isn't going to help.

15. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I personally believe Yao wants to make fun of Shaq but will not because 1) He's parents are still around and 2) the Down Syndrome Society of America ferociously protects one of their own!

16. IVFL

IVFL Member

This is why I like Bill Walton, he will tell it like it is. Just remember this guy was taught, in general by John Wooden. I don't know if anyone here has read Wooden. IF you have not, I am telling you to pick up some of his books. The guy is a class act all the way and has a basic but great philosophy on life. He taught that to all his players and I think it shines through with Bill in this article. Bill makes some great points. Shaq is the main star of the NBA right now, and his actions are not a reflection of that. All Walton is asking from Shaq is a little class. Something that seems to be lost on most NBA players. Its a shame really.

Still I don't always agree with Bills game analysis but that does not make this article more or less valid.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shaq should know better because he's been different for most of his life. That's the general message.

Picking a single point and debating in semantics makes your reply stink.

18. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

A few years ago,Bob Costas was announcing a lakers game. During the game he made a comment about Shaq that would be looked at as racist. He called him a 300 pound gorilla. Needless to say, it raised some eyebrows. Costas apologized to Shaq and said it wasn't meant to be racist. Shaq said that didn't believe Costas was being racist and said forget about it.