1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the best PF dunker of all time?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Aug 16, 2012.

Tags:
?

Who was the best (Electrifying) dunker at the 4?

1. Shawn Kemp

72.3%
  2. Blake Griffin

20.2%
  3. Sir Charles

2.4%
  4. Other

5.1%
  1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I voted for Sir Charles. Sure, he may be best remembered as the "Round Mound of Rebound" and taking 18 seconds to back someone down from the left block before scoring, but when he entered the league, he could fly. He dunked with an aura of violence and loathing.

Put a Kia in front of 1987 Charles Barkley and you end up with a broken Kia.

1 person likes this.
  2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

shawn kemp fo sho... the reign man

3. PeppermintCandy

LOL #5 dunk. You know it's a good dunk when the player that got dunked on congratulates you afterwards for it.

Kemp all the way.

4. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

kemp... by far. glad i got to watch him and payton in their prime.

they were stacked beyond belief in that '93-'94 season. if the rockets would have run into them that postseason... :eek: ...would have been scary.

my bad derailing, but really they were a fun team to watch back then (when they weren't playing the rockets of course). :)

kemp.

5. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I have to go with Kemp. There is something majestic happening when a big guy with God-given athleticism and hops knows how to punctuate a dunk with artistry, ferocity and abandonment.

6. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Chambers played the 3 as I recall, and I watched him play. If you put 3s into this you bring guys like Dominique into the mix.

7. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

very nice mix by the way.

the term "posterized" harkens back to the days when we didn't yet have the Internet, or even cable TV/ESPN. we got our sports by subscribing to SI and we bought the posters from them. chambers was one of the original "posterizers"- his posters always had his nuts in some dude's face.

8. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tyUf-9ruJi8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

I saw VC play in Austin. He was always shorter by six inches than the tallest guy on the floor and yet he played head and shoulders above everyone. Just an amazing freak. On one play, he missed a FT and then elevated over everyone to throw down the carom.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4EWsBQGDj3A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. jvu

jvu Member

Shawn kemp for now.. However, i believe BG will surpass Kemp in a few years

11. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

That could be a nice way to describe the way he got to the other holes in his life.

12. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Reignman FTW. His was that of reckless abandon...even outside the court. Too bad.

13. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Chuck's athletecism during his Sixers days was actually amazing. Especially when matched with his ability to handle the ball on the break but it was pretty short lived. By the time he gets Pheonix he becomes more of a bruiser and didn't run the floor as much.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

With his already multiple surgeries to lower body extremities? If at his healthiest and youngest he can't surpass Kemp how is he supposed to surpass him when he is older?

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Man, I forgot how badass Dominique was back in the day lol. Seriously, Kemp/'Nique are superior to VC and BG in every possible way. They are closer to Barkley if anything and that's nothing to sneeze it. We are talking all time posterizers.

16. Bob

Bob Member

Two power forwards from the past that should also be mentioned are Larry Nance, 1st NBA dunking champion, and Orlando Woolridge. I am not sure if there is any video of that first slam dunk contest but I remember it as being the best. Nance beat out Woolridge, Dominique and Dr J.

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lmfaoo#1 what kind of **** talking is that

nba nowadays that a tech

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

For the most part, he did and spent most of his time at the 3, played like a 3, but he was a power forward in given seasons, sort of like Rashard Lewis. Much better player, though.

Funny not many have given a brief mention of Connie Hawkins.

19. Classic

Classic Member

That's the ****ing 90's brah, **** was real then

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Tough one. Kemp had huge hands that allowed him to finish plays after absorbing a lot of contact but he didn't get as high as young Amare or Griffin. Kemp's energy after his dunks also earns him points but there is no way he is the clear cut #1.