1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Illustrated: Rockets offer to Magic was much lower than reported

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I agree with most of what you are saying.

However, if we were in that three way with LA,ORL, & us, I do not think we would have taken on JRich and Hedo (just JRich). Plus I do not think we would put both picks in (possibly TOR OR DAL + CHA's 2nd - which is like a low 1).

Other than those nitpicks, I think you are spot on.

Clearly we had we been involved, ORL would be better off.

Also, I just do not get how Hennigan wouldn't have taken Iggy and turned him into another pick and / or prospect at the trade deadline. I honestly think Hennigan is in over his head right now. He had seen what Morey had done to other teams in terms of trades and wanted no part of that so he took a worse deal on its face.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Both of those picks are of more value than ANY of the three Orlando ended up getting in a trade for the third-best player on the planet. Deal with it.

Yes, Martin's value is as an expiring contract, thereby allowing Orlando to shed long-term salaries - you know, part of their supposed goal.

Get it through your head. The Rockets DID throw the kitchen sink out there. Martin, Lamb, three firsts, Morris and more? That deal is FAR superior to what they ended up with. Why should the Rockets bid against themselves? The point is, the Magic were unwilling to deal Howard to Houston no matter what the deal was. Unless you're talking about Bynum, there's nothing else Morey could have done to complete a trade.

3. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I think DM did not what to overpay for Bynum. Just not worth it. He was willy to over pay for Howard even if he may leave. But I think Magic just did not want to send Howard to Houston because Howard did not want to be in Houston! There is a chance he may have to sign in Houston and Howard didn't want to take that chance. It is beyond basketball decisions and if indeed Howard was promised something I wouldn't be surprised.

So unless you believe Bynum is a superstar now or in the future then DM did what he always does, trades for fair value in mind. No over paying.

Magic went looking for better deal for Bynum, their trading chip once they realized LA was giving them Bynum for Howard.

They found 2 teams to give them what they thought was better offers then Houston. The key word is what they thought, doesn't matter what we think hear in this BBS. Magic thought the crab they got is better then the secondary offer from Houston for a Bynum trade. As simple as that.

So in summary, Houston did not get a Superstar center, did not want to overpay for an Allstar center, and now has way too many forwards on the team. Not even counting the players from trades for Camby and Lee.

Forwards: DMo, PPat, TJones, RWhite, MMorris, PChandler. That's 5 for PF/SF spot. I know, DMo and TJones may play some C. They have to, no backup for Asik.

Am I happy? Who cares, Actually I am because I like Lin a lot and Lamb will be very good. So I may be in minority but I think Houston will have an excellent backcourt, better then people here think and will be surprised.

But I do think Rockets will lose a lot and end up way down the wins column. Thus going for a higher lottery pick. Now if they get into playoffs anyway then Rockets did very well off season for picking up players/rookies that actually upgraded the team. Remember, they missed Playoff for 3 years.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Guys, we need to let this go and move on. It's becoming embarrassing.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just goes to show how and why Morey would have praised as a genius god if the a trade would have went down.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Really?........You are talking about "Asset Morey" right?

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thorton is solid to all-star IMO and I placed both Asik / DeAndre are there mostly because they are centers that have shown enough to warrant serious attention. Asik one of the top 2 or 3 defenders in the league when he's on the floor and Jordan was highly sought after as well last off season. Chandler is clearly all star caliber if you look at his play and is better than Galinari (his teammate from NYK) IMO.

BTW, you know you like my response to your post! :p.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He hasn't inked an extension yet. We are still in the running. :rolleyes:

10. Toast

Toast Member

Sports Illustrated: Rockets offer to Magic was much lower than we reported

That would be a much more realistic article.

11. shortylilboi

shortylilboi Member

if only harkless fell to us

12. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

I for one am glad that Morey seemed to not want to sale the farm with the risk of DH leaving as a FA.

And as you said, it appears he made offers that kept the Rockets in the best possible position and not end up in Orlando's situation.

Good form...

13. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

Source...

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

The title is misleading: It's not the title of the quoted link, and even the quoted offer IS NOT lower than previously reported.

There's report that we are only offering 1 pick, 1 prospect and Martin for 1 bad contract and Howard. Actually that is better than what Magic received. I think we are offering even less than that.

15. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Source for what ? His opinion ? Which I fell is spot on

16. The Cat

The source is my opinion - I thought that was fairly clear.

Obviously, all parties involved will deny that anything like that occurred. But compare the deal the Magic got with the Houston offer (for Dwight, not Bynum), and there's no way any rational human being with basketball knowledge would prefer the deal they got. Just not possible. I think a scenario along the lines I presented is much more likely than Rob Hennigan simply being the dumbest executive in the history of sports.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I was embarassing from day one.

1 person likes this.
  18. The Cat

Best typo ever. :grin:

19. vince

vince Member

It would have been insane had the Rockets landed either Howard or Bynum. The whole board would still be going nuts right now.

But it appears that the Rockets weren't that thrilled about Bynum. They'd of gladly taken him, but I don't think Morey thought he was a centerpiece building block. Hence a lower offer than what was available had Howard been the target.

And maybe Howard and the Magic had agreed on a deal to not trade him to Houston. Let's remember that he signed his extension only after the team agreed not to trade him to Houston prior to the trade deadline.

But I agree with posters here, Orlando got a much lower deal than they should have. !And the Lakers made out like bandits once more!

20. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

Opinion? Try conspiracy theorist...

He came from left field that people must have threated to blackball organizations.... that's not an opinion, that's an overactive imagination.

Seems as if someone forgot to take their medicine...