1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tragic: Chicago Police Shoot Father . . .

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wing-year-old-daughter.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Tragic - This is a tragic situation all around.

Rocket River

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Runs over daughter then kills fathers... Horrible all around.

3. Burko

Burko Member

His first reaction was to pummel the guy rather than see if his daughter was ok?

4. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What the hell is an off-duty officer doing riding around on a motorcycle while armed?

5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Couldn't they have worded the title a little better than that at least?

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It is tragic, but the cop did what he had to do. I wish the dad tried to tend to his daughter instead of trying to get payback.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . I am sure the mom and other family members when to the child
    based on the story . . he heard the commotion so probably other family
    members were with the child

besides . . . . the story didn't give a time frame from incident to beating
    If you checked you daughter .. . saw her hurt . . . but surviving
    chances are you going to go see the A-hole that hurt her

I was trying to figure out the best way to make the title
    that would not be so sensational

I think most cops are strapped most of the time

Rocket River

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Seems to me like the Police Officer was trying to do the right thing. A little girl was crossing the road late at night, he didn't see her until it was too late so he dumped his bike in an effort to dodge her. The bike hit her, but it seems like the officer's effort allowed her to escape with mere scrapes.

And then the dad decides to beat the crap out of him instead of allowing the law to sort itself out (which, I don't think the officer would be in the wrong for anything anyways considering it was dark out and the girl was in the middle of the road where she shouldn't have been).

I don't carry a gun. But if I did and that happened to me, I would definitely shoot the guy if I didn't have another option. It's tragic that the young man died in this way... but it was his fault that it escalated to that point. You can't just jump on a guy and beat him up in this type of situation.

#8 3814, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  9. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

This is TRUE. My ex-brother in law is a cop and he would take his gun everywhere. I mean my sister worked at a school and after hours they would play volleyball. This f****** idiot played volleyball with the gun in his pants instead of putting it up.

They are not the smartest bunch.

I have no opinion on this particular case.

#9 wreck, Aug 14, 2012
  10. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Usually I would say **** cops but I guess I can't really blame him here. Sad story

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Obvious cop bashing thread is obvious.

WTF is the cop suppose to do while he is being beaten by what I bet are two very upstanding citizens? :rolleyes:

Very unfortunate accident for the little girl. The father probably got what he deserved.

12. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Most officers carry a gun with them at all times.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Stand your ground?

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This type of reaction has been documented and happens often enough. First thing that jumps to mind is some UT basketball game years ago when a player dove into the stands and I think knocked down a pregnant lady by accident or something like that. The enraged fiance then started choking the player instead of checking on his pregnant girl. Instant emotional reactions to stressful situations can make normally rational people act crazy (not to say that everyone is normally rational).

As RR pointed out, pretty sure off-duty cops are generally, if not always, armed.

And yeah, what an all-around tragic situation..

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Her face was skinned off. I'm pretty sure he just went into an all-out rage then and there. I don't blame him.

16. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I'm inclined to agree. Hell, if he wasn't a cop, he'd still be in the right to shoot two people beating on him on the ground.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its a tragic situation. Nobody is at fault here.
    The father, reasonably went into a full-on rage when he saw his daughter WITH HER FACE SKINNED OFF and he went insane.
    The officer was attempting to save his own life and shot the man attacking him.

You can't blame either one. It was just a complete tragedy.
    Now the cop loses his man card a bit for jumping off his bike and letting it maul the girl without attempting to steer clear of her first. Other than that, its just a tragic situation.

18. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

No doubt... can't really blame the guy for getting into a rage, but it was still wrong. And you can't blame the officer for defending himself either. Just a tragic situation... one that nobody will feel good about.

It's too bad that the whole family will hate the police because of this - I imagine it would be near-impossible to see the other side when it is such an emotional situation.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Exactly..

Cue "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong"

Normal reaction would be tending to the severely injured daughter until medical help arrived, not go around beating up the motorcyclist.

I understand the father would be in rage but priority #1 should be his daughter, exacting revenge is #2. If he wants to beat the guy up beat him up after :rolleyes: What an iddddiott.

#19 krnxsnoopy, Aug 14, 2012
  20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Seems like it was a last resort. She has scrapes on her face... it's quite possible that if he didn't drop the bike it could have been far worse.