1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets or Magic, which team is better positioned moving forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 10, 2012.

?

Rockets or Magic, which team is better postition moving forward?

1. Houston Rockets

486 vote(s)
    97.0%
  2. Orlando Magic

15 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Which team do you like better moving forward, the Magic or the Rockets? Both teams are in a definite rebuild mode but the Magic had Dwight Howard as a trade chip to kick start their rebuilding effort while the Rockets did biggest trade this off-season was the Kyle Lowry trade. Both teams are in year 1 of their rebuilding effort and both teams look to be lottery bound for next summer’s draft. So if you could choose either the Magic or the Rockets to move forward with which team would it be?

Orlando Magic

Key Assets:
    Aaron Afflalo – 26 year old 6’5” SG, very good player
    Moe Harkless – 20 year old 6’8” SF, a rookie that would likely be a top 10 pick in next year’s lottery and is building block piece.
    Andrew Nicholson – 22 year old 6’9” PF, a rookie with good upside as a scorer
    Nikola Vucevic – 21 year old 7’0” C, could be a nice role player but not a high upside player
    76ers 1st round pick – lottery protected
    Nuggets 1st round pick – In year 2014
    Lakers 1st round pick – In year 2017
    Orlando’s 1st picks – They are likely to be very early lottery picks over the next couple of years

Other Assets:
    Al Harrington – 32 year old 6’9” PF, very solid role player but not likely to be around when the Magic are good again.
    Cap Room – Not sure how much but I heard one radio announcer say that they have the ability to sign a max free agent next summer

Probable Starting Line-Up in 2012:
    PG – Jameer Nelson (Thanks to "Rockets_4_life" for the correction)
    SG – Aaron Afflalo
    SF – Hedo Turkoglu
    PF – Glen Davis
    C – Al Harrington

Key Reserves:
    Andrew Nicholson, Moe Harkless, Nikola Vucevic, J.J. Redick, Quinton Richardson

Houston Rockets:

Key Assets:
    Jeremy Lamb – 20 year old 6’5” SG, rookie with very high upside as a scorer
    Donatas Motiejunas – 21 year old 7’0” PF / C, rookie with very high upside
    Chandler Parsons – 23 year old 6’9” SF, young player with elite level defense
    Jeremy Lin – 23 year old 6’3” PG, played at superstar level for a 10 game stretch last season, has all-star potential
    Omer Asik – 26 year old 7’0” C, is a legitimate center with size that plays defense at an elite level
    Royce White – 21 year old 6’8” SF / PF, rookie that would have likely been a top 10 pick in next year’s draft with very high upside.
    Terrence Jones – 20 year old 6’9” SF / PF, rookie with high upside that could be a double / double machine during his career.
    Kevin Martin – 29 year old 6’7” SG, when healthy he scores at an all-star level but he is not always healthy. It’s hard to see him in Houston’s long term plans and he has value as an expiring contract or a trade asset.
    Toronto 1st round pick – Lottery pick, top 10 possibility
    Dallas 1st round pick – Top 20 protected until 2017 and unprotected after that
    Charlotte’s 2nd round pick – Likely to be one of the first 5 or 10 picks in the 2nd round
    Houston’s own 1st round picks – There is a good chance it’s a top 10 pick or better next season.

Other Assets:
    Patrick Patterson – 23 year old 6’9” PF, after showing promise as a rookie did not do much as a sophomore. Will likely be a journeyman type of player.
    Marcus Morris – 22 year old 6’9” SF, pretty bad as a rookie but was a lottery pick last year
    Cap Room

Probable Starting Line-Up in 2012:
    PG – Jeremy Lin
    SG – Kevin Martin
    SF – Chandler Parsons
    PF – Donatas Motiejunas or Patrick Patterson
    C – Omer Asik

Key Reserves:
    Jeremy Lamb, Marcus Morris, Royce White, Tony Douglas

Even though both teams are in year one of their rebuilding plans and even though Orlando had Dwight Howard to jumpstart their effort, it appears with my very biased eyes that Houston is substantially further along in the rebuilding process than Orlando.

- Houston as a team is much younger than Orlando, 29 year old Kevin Martin is the grey beard of the Rockets while Orlando has multiple players in their 30s.
    - Houston has more youth and high ceiling potential at every position including the reserves than Orlando has.
    - Houston has better draft picks than Orlando. Personally I would not trade either the Toronto pick or the Dallas pick by themselves for all of the picks Orlando received in the Howard trade. Both teams have a legitimate shot at landing a top 3 pick with their own picks.
    - Houston has better cap flexibility.

Obviously, Houston’s high potential rookies have to develop into top level players and if Orlando wins the lottery and drafts the next Michael Jordan then all bets are off. Orlando does have some nice pieces to grow their team with (Harkless, Afflalo, Nicholson). Having said that I think Houston is in much better position than the Magic at this time.

#1 crash5179, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Rockets_4_life

Quick note: The magic signed Jameer Nelson to a long term deal. So he's their starting PG.

As for whose better positioned. I think its pretty obvious its the Rockets, with our better collection of young talent, and superior draft picks.

Also I think Orlando, with all the veterans they still have on their roster, could potentially be better then us this season which gives the Rockets another pick better then theirs.

1 person likes this.
  3. da_juice

da_juice Member

We have a better cap situation. Our overpaid players are more cap-friendly than theirs. And we have double the amount of promising young guys than they do (IMO their only good young guy is vuvecic and I think he hit his ceiling).

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

Depends on who gets the best draft in next few seasons.

Right now, Magic is ahead of Rockets because they will have worse record than Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  5. ClKent

ClKent Member

Gee. Maybe they wanted our assets because we already had a better future set up than them? Thats my thoughts. They wanted the easy road to rebuilding and chose instead to tank. The problem is they chose veterans who will outplay our rookies in terms of wins probably. They will develop nobody while doing so except Harkless. There is no silver lining in Orlandos immediate future. Their path to mediocrity has just started. Where as ours may only be transitional. They are real far away now.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Didn't vote. The question alone is an insult to this forum. Did you not just see the trash that went to Orlando??:mad:

7. Rockets_4_life

Will they really though?

They have a lot more veterans that can still play then we do... not to mention the east is weaker then the west.

Nelson / Richardson
    Afflalo / Redick
    Turk / Harkless
    Davis / Harrington
    Vucevic / O'Quinn/ Nicholson

They have a solid starting lineup and a strong bench with Harrington and Redick. I think as things are currently constructed that they are borderline playoff team in the east. They could actually be much better then us.

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

What a pointless thread. If you need a Clutchfans poll to answer this question for you then I feel sorry for you.

9. deshen

deshen Member

I would not be surprised if Magic could manage to get into playoffs earlier than Rockets.

10. Happii

Happii Member

You're living in a dream world. The priority of the Magic right now is to get a high draft pick to remedy the mess they made and restart their franchise. So obviously they are going to play their younger players more and get less wins. On the other hand us Rockets might not even want to tank. I'll be surprised if we're going to tank this year because of Les Alexander.

By the way the Toronto pick is pretty overrated at the moment. The Raptors aren't a bad team. I can actually see them making the playoffs because the east is so bad compared to the west.

11. ClKent

ClKent Member

Me neither. To me thats not success. To me success is defined by how long it takes to build a viable contender or that has the next superstar on its roster to rebuild around. Things that would only take 1 or 2 moves away from a championship contender. Not perpetually stuck at the 8th seed with no chance to go any higher.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Right now, without a doubt, we have the better team in every single aspect. Youth, talent, cap maneuvering room, etc, etc.

I mean, you figured if you had Howard you would end up at least as good as we are but not worse. Oh well.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

If we played in the east we would have made the playoffs last year too. (And I think the previous 2 as well)

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think Rockets have better current starting lineup, more and better young players, and better draft picks in the future. Not much of a debate IMO.

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Lin > Nelson
    Martin > Afflalo
    Parsons > Hedo
    Patterson < Davis
    Asik < Harrington

16. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Stupid thought but I've always wondered why the Magic kept Jameer Nelson. He's a good player but he's not that special is he? Why did the Magic sign him to a long term deal?

17. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Magic on the mediocre treadmill, we're off. Nuff said.

1 person likes this.
  18. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

hopefully. that's another spot above the raptors

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

Good locker room presence. Loyalty. Good talent.

20. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Are you serious?