1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Hakeem have played for Nigeria?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Aug 2, 2012.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ohhh. That thread was Terrible.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This. Nigeria has only become semi-decent recently. Africa is usually only represented by one country (usually Angola). That Tunisia qualified to give them 2 teams was a surprise. Nigeria wasn't making the Olympics even with Hakeem.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes, I hate it that many players just change nationality if it suits them.

Ibaka is suddenly Spanish? Abouy 80% of Qatar's soccer team are from Brazil.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Ibaka moved to Spain as a teenager and was granted citizenship in 2011

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

People with dual citizenship are more annoying. I suck at Basketball in America, so let me go play for Angola instead. :rolleyes:

6. Machado

Machado Member

Should Kevin Durant have gone to Maryland instead of Texas?

So many questions, so little time to answer them.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Actually agree with the OP, would've boosted basketball in Nigeria and given many youngsters a person to look up to.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Okafor could have played too

9. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Just proved how much of a coward Olajuwon was. Took the easy way out to play on a stacked U.S. team, instead of playing for his home country.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Olympic soccer is irrelevant.

they qualified to 4 of the last 5 world cups from a very tough continent.
    they don't have a superstar, but they have numerous players on good Euro teams.
    their national team is comparable to the US soccer team, probably a little better.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

actually Tunisia qualified as the best African team.
    Nigeria is the surprise one. They got past Greece to qualify, quite an achievement.

12. southernconfort

My thoughts exactly

13. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Nigeria was garbage back then and is still pretty bad now.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The last thing I would want in my life is Olajuwon beating that Dream Team by himself then having everyone say it was only because Jordan didn't play. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

:):):)

16. coweye

coweye Member

Yeah and have him banged up because he played the offseason for Nigeria every year.
    Hi Yao

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'm sure the Nigerian National team would have accepted Andre Iguodala as well. But with those two and many Nigerian-American players, they don't have enough connection with their parents homeland to try.

Sadly the problem with the Nigerian team and many African teams remains that a lot of the best talent leave the country and unlike many South American players in soccer or basketball, they don't want to come back, outside of maybe some community service or brief visits to family. There are quality players of Nigerian descent out there, some of them just need to have actual pride if not in the country then in the ideal of representing its people.

Also the Nigerian coach apparently didn't teach the team anything about team and perimeter defense because yesterday's beat down could be used as footage on what not to do.
    :(

19. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I believe Dream really took pride in getting citizenship....
    So....NO...he was brought over here as a Lanky 17 or 18 year old who PLAYED "Goalie"-
    IN Soccer...He lived the American Dream, I think, NO, and NO...there ya go.

I think he played for USA to win Gold, and to be a US citizen. This was important to him,
    to his country of the USA, he is a man of character, he is Dream, he unlike us who were
    just born here respects where he came from, but the USA made him Dream, not Nigeria,
    Houston more importantly Guy Lewis brought a project over and well "it was a dream"

20. coweye

coweye Member

Guy didn't bring Hakeem(or akeem at this time) over. His parents bought him round trip ticket after coaches in Nigeria recommended him to play at college in the US. Houston was his second stop and thank god his last.His first was St.Johns i think.