1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will start at Power Forward when the Season Starts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 29, 2012.

?

Who will win the starting Power Forward spot in Training Camp?

1. Patrick Patterson

361 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. Donatas Motiejunas

174 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Royce White

9 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Terrence Jones

35 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. anson-ke

anson-ke Member

why not sign Yi Jianliang? let's go Yi.

2. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Actually McHale said he liked Jones and he worked the hardest out of the 3.
    We just waived Ice-cream man... Not seeing the reason of adding a 28 year man...

3. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

fixed

4. Raven

Raven Member

And this is what rebuilding does, it actually makes you excited about training camp.

:)

5. nickg

nickg Member

If pat possessed something even resembling a post game and was a better rebounder I would say he is the starter. I dont think he has shown nearly enough for him to be considered the definite starter.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Other than being a "veteran", I'm not sure why anyone would prefer him.

I think it's D-Mo's job to lose.

7. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

I'd take any of those 3 over ppat surely

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think Patterson is going to show improvement this year. It's been a full year since his surgery and I see him getting better over the off-season.

Patterson will start in the beginning of the season. Montiejunas will get backup center minutes. Jones will get 20 minutes backing up the 3 & 4 positions. There's not much to say about Morris other than he has a shot. White is a project who will get minutes here and there throughout the season.

9. jhagerdorn

jhagerdorn Member

If Asik is our Starting Center, then you have to have a 4 that can post score(DMo). But if we were to get bynum, i dont see any other starter than ppat.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Didn't McHale say that DMo is not ready to be a starter?

11. opticon

opticon Member

With Omer being the slated starting Center it is critical that we have a offensive threat at 4. If not the others teams Bigs will sag off their men and make it harder for our wings.

Who plays the starting four will come down to who has the polished offensive game.

For me that narrows it down to Pat and Dmo. If Pat is the starter D-Mo will see quite a few minutes at the 5 which Coach wants anyway.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I was assuming that Patterson and Donatas are both traded before the season starts.

13. ejarts

ejarts Member

Patrick Patterson. duh. McHale has a man crush on this guy and he actually has EXPERIENCE. maybe halfway in the season, DMo takes over. DMo has never played in the NBA, he has to get used to it first.

Lin/Livingston/Machado
    KMart/Lamb/Douglas
    Parsons/White/Jones
    PPatt/DMo/Jones
    Destroy/PPatt/Harrellson?

well be competing against Phoenix at west spot, at best. worst case, we're better than kings.

14. ejarts

ejarts Member

I'm really hoping we get bynum. Young guns will take over the west in 5 years.

Lin/Machado
    Lamb/Parsons/
    Royce/Jones/
    DMo/PPatt
    Bynum/Asik

If we keep this core plus another star. In 5 years well be set. And well have a really good 2nd 5, like how Detroit Pistons did it a few years back when they sub the whole starting 5 with the Hustle 5. east finals yearly.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yep. Thats what he's gonna have to work, getting really good at a couple of things.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He has not played in the NBA but he has been playing professional ball against grown men. Certainly there will be some adjustments but I think we will see DMo be very productive from the start just because of how aggressive he is. He already has the skill to be dominate but just needs to work on his physical strength.

17. crash5179

McHale is on record as saying he beleaves in dumping it into the low post and letting the big men work. I think he would love to have Bynum and DMo to dump the ball to.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. I don't know, but it's irrelevant to the point that NBA coaches want to acclimate rookies to the game before starting them, with only a few superstar exceptions.

2. I already said that.

3. I know and it doesn't matter.

4. Yes and they might even show themselves to be better than Patterson. But, I expect Patterson to start anyway. Being a better player doesn't mean you're going to be accustomed to the NBA pace and so on. To overcome Patterson's veteran advantage to start in Game 1, they don't have to just beat him in practice; they have to absolutely blow the doors off of him. D-Mo at least does have professional experience. But then so did Scola (even moreso) and they still didn't start him in his first game.

But, unless Morey makes a big trade, we'll get to see in a couple of months. If it makes watching training camp interesting, hold out hope for D-Mo. I still think it's a foregone conclusion, even if Morey hasn't admitted it yet.

19. crash5179

They did not start Scola from game one because the Rockets had an incumbent starter at the Power Forward position in his rookie season. The Rockets do not currently have an incumbent starter at the Power Forward position. I think best player in training camp and pre-season will start. And there is not a proven veteran even available at the Power Forward position, unless you consider Pat a proven veteran which I do not.

#99 crash5179, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member