1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If the USA went U-23

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikeyharris, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I don't think he meant that it was a requirement for ALL basketball teams to be U23, only team USA would make that a requirement.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The US would lose. Argentina and Spain would be better. Scola or Gasols would destroy the US front court.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do the soccer countries care that soccer is U-23 for men?

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Basically true... the Thunder would beat any country's U-23 team.

Also I wonder if you really meant to type "minus well"?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I assume he meant to type "might as well".

6. blunto

blunto Member

Yeah, I also agree that the NBA would get too much push back from FIBA and the international community assuming the "ban" would apply to all NBA players over the age of 23. London games would be void of the Gasol brothers, Tony Parker, Scola and Manu, etc. Can't see that going over well.

Sure, Yao theoretically may have been able to squeeze out a few more years in the NBA if he avoided international competition, but would the Chinese govt. even allowed him to come to Houston in 2002 if they knew he'd be banned from playing in Beijing six years later? (I think China had already been granted the summer games by then).

7. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

There is already a "World Cup" for basketball held every 4 years held by FIBA (USA won it the last time with Durant leading the team). One of the arguments for the U-23 Olympics is that it would give this championship more importance and such it could grow on its own just like FIFA did with the Football World Cup. Honestly this would be a good long term move for FIBA and possible one of Stern's better moves.

8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

How could this possibly be one of Sterns better moves given all that you've already read in this thread?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It would be great for bureaucrats at FIBA because they could then pocket the loot for their own personal use rather than having to split it up with their IOC fellow-vampires.

FIFA's got it figured out. No need to cut the IOC a check when you can have alll the Five-star hotel rooms and cushy dinners for yourself.

10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Crazy. Spain would be obliterated by that team.

11. blunto

blunto Member

For what it's worth, here's an excerpt from a 1992 interview with David Stern addressing some of the public backlash about allowing NBA players to compete in the Olympics for the first time:

All of that said, I really wouldn't mind a U-23 Olympics if the recently renamed FIBA World Cup of Basketball were to get some credence as THE international tournament which crowned a true world champion. Every other two-year interval we'd have a different style of international competition, and it would share the spotlight with up and coming talent instead of continuing to oversaturate the airwaves with a select few stars.

However, I'm skeptical of how the international community will respond, seeing as what's being proposed is the first time in which the NBA instituted a ban on it's players while FIBA did not.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think that only means USA would go U-23. Or would this apply to all NBA players?

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's not compare basketball to soccer.

If Olympic basketball changed to U-23, there would be a huge drop in interest globally.

Granted, if the proposed World Cup for basketball became the greatest thing since sliced bread, the drop in interest in Olympic basketball wouldn't be as big a deal for many of us.

14. blunto

blunto Member

Everything I've read on this topic leads me to believe that it would be all NBA players.

15. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

In 2016,
    PG: 2015 first pick
    SG: 2014 second pick
    SF: 2015 third pick
    PF: 2013 first pick
    C: 2014 8th pick
    Bench:
    Morey's second round picks in 2013, 14, and 15.

16. sime0n

sime0n Member

This is exactly why they are considering this move. Soccer lost alot of interest when it switched to this model to funnel all the interest towards their world cup.

I think it is eventual that this happens. FIBA basically wants to copy FIFA's model and I think it'll be good for everyone except the IOC. The IOC already has swimming, track and all those other olympic sports anyway. I think if basketball were switched to u-23 for the olympics, then other sports would just be featured more prominently.

17. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

derrick rose is still 23 till october..

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

keep in mind, "U23" in typical definition = players who became/will become 23 in that calendar year.
    So no Love, Durant, Westbrook, Parsons, maybe someone else on that list (won't double check everyone).

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

no Derrick Rose too.

20. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Who the hell want to see rookies playing in the olympic. This will surely disappoint many international fans. The US is winning it regardless of U23 so why not just send the most popular players there to put on a show.