1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard's plan to sign w/ Dallas next year makes trade from Orlando problematic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by slothy420, Jul 26, 2012.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

It's because he knows we're the frontrunners to get him. If Dallas was the frontrunner to get him, he'd be saying the same sh** about them.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't buy it but I do think this will actually work out for the Rockets. Dwight's leaks to the media and Orlando's continual bluffing is driving his value through the floor.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uh, in case you haven't noticed Cuban dismantled his championship team to save cash, and Les Alexander ate 17M in amnesty money by buying out Luis Scola when he didn't have to.

I think the Fegan thing is real, there's no logical reason why they would want to go Dallas otherwise. First of all, there's no such thing as "under the table" money. One team before got fined for giving its team a trip since that would count as compensation, and the T-Wolves got penalized 3 first round picks after they made an under-the-table negotiation with Joe Smith. If DH was smart and really after just the money he'd play in Houston, he and Feigan would have access to China $$$. So I personally think its more than that.

4. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

If we do trade for him we get his birds rights. Would he really leave - Dallas couldn't offer him more than Houston.

5. Ashes

Ashes Member

Not much happens in Houston either lol

6. MONON

MONON Member

Why all the hate, LonghornFan? He isn't an Aggie. Heck, he ain't even smart enough to be an Aggie!

7. Raven

Raven Member

Les needs to end this nonsense. Now.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So basically, Dan Fegan is a greedy, selfish SOB who could not give two ****s about where Dwight ACTUALLY ends up, and is only using this as a way to get back at the Rockets for past misdeeds? Sounds about right, actually.

He would be an idiot to tell Dwight to pass up the extra $30m we can offer him, considering Fegan has yet to see a penny from Dwight, and his contract total directly affects his commission. What a piece of ****.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

If it's like the Randy Johnson trade I'd do it, but not if we have to get terrible contracts back as well.

10. Ender00

Ender00 Member

Call me crazy, I am going to go out on a limb and goes against every posters here and say Howard wants to be in houston and the problem is Orlando front office. He cont to put out these rumors to drive his price down, which is better for Houston. I know it's a reach but hey a guy can dream right

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Cuban did that to get deron and dwight. Before cuban the mavs were garbage. After cuban they win 50 games every year. He has shown the willingness to way above the luxury tax line. He is the best owner in sport and I would trade Les for for Cuban in a second.

12. superden

superden Contributing Member

Absolute genius if that's the case.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

that's the past

When teams like LA and NY are worrying over the new CBA provisions pertaining to paying luxury tax, Cuban isnt going to be able to just toss money at his problems anymore. It's not just the punitive monetary penalties involved, the team is *actually* prevented from making certain roster moves if they are always over the tax apron.

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

No, it would be worse if we traded everyone to Orlando for Dwight and bad contracts. Then Dwight leaves in free agency and signs with the MAGIC! :eek:

Ha! Would never happen but still worse nonetheless..

15. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

That'd be great!

16. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Lebron James started this s***, wish he never existed.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Huh? LeBron simply left as a free agent. I don't think he's the first dude to exercise free agency.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This has been going on for a long time. The question is how do you put an end to it?

The cap system in place now works. Keep it.

Contracts should be limited to 2-4 years. The increment of a max contract should decrease as you go from a shorter contract to a longer contract. This will prevent superteams like Miami from having a dominant core year in and year out for half a decade. The shorter the contract the harder it will be to keep superteams in place. The player will either need to choose more money for a shorter contract or less money for a longer contract.

Further restrict Bird rights.
    -Make Bird rights more lucrative. (only in conjunction with the following other changes) For example, a player can be given more than the max contract and it wouldn't count against the team cap and can sign longer contracts.
    -Bird rights should only be granted if a player has been on the team for x amount of years...say 7-10 years.
    -Bird rights can't be traded. If a player has a contract that is granted bird rights, then those rights are forfeited if traded. The original team should continue to pay the "bonus" after the trade and that bonus would kick in towards the receiving teams salary cap. This will prevent teams from doing sign and trades. The team and player will have mutual reasons to continue their bird rights.

Im not sure how beneficial if sign and trades would be prohibited.

I believe those two changes would really take the power away from players being demanded to be traded.

19. thekad

thekad Member

Yet Morey and his apologists will continue to drool over mortgaging the Rockets' future for a one year rental of an injured player.

Dwight Howard can go on Youtube and tell the entire city of Houston to eat a **** and these guys will still swoon over him.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

At this point, it's hard even for me as a Rocket fan to see Dwight as actually wanting to come here for any reason.

I mean, our entire roster is gutted and filled with mid first round rookies and sophmores. Now that Deron is signed why in the hell would Howard want to sign a long term contract while we are rebuilding.

The only argument we can make for Howard is the promise of Chris Paul. But then again Paul never really showed any interest in us either.