1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Bulls tell Morey today they will NOT match Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't both LeBron and Bosh leave more money on the table in order to play at Miami? I always thought the ability to win a ring does factor into some players' considerations.... for some folks, they may be willing to take less money in order to win sooner if not now, rather than take more money and have a risk that they do not win a ring at all...

I mean, if money is the only decision-maker for where a player decides to go, then I can say I finally understand why the NBA and most other high-end professional sports are in the state they are now... :grin:

2. cyberx

cyberx Member

You are right... They all took cuts so that they could all play together.

3. cyberx

cyberx Member

OKC is not in it...

I don't think there's a lead. Howard wants to go to NETS (which can't happen now) and Lakers.

4. inowsingle

inowsingle Member

but Bynum hv no way to promise extension , he should want to break this deal , so i don't think LA can find a third party . even if Cleveland agree this three-way trade without Bynum commitment , rockets can raise their bid to over Cleveland's , it's not difficult . do u agree ?

and seems u think howard will leave houston after season if we get him, but if we reject to sign & trade him to dallas or nets , he is ok to sign dallas directly ? nearly 20 million dollar loss .

i always think it's not big risk to get him , as either he sign extension with us , or we can sign and trade him to Clippers or Thunder . no way he will ignore our attitude to sign dallas directly , agree ?

5. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah but did they take 30 MILLION LESS?

I have heard they took 'less', but there's less and then there is LESS.

Howard would be walking away from LESS.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It was an incredibly minor paycut for LeBron and Bosh. They're all on six-year deals worth at least $112 million. It's night and day different from a scenario in which Howard would leave over $100 million on the table to play for the $3 million MLE in Brooklyn or LA. Of teams with actual max cap room (like Miami in that year), the options Howard would have available - Atlanta, Dallas, etc. - pale in comparison to Miami on both a contention and endorsement level.

7. Socrates

Socrates Member

I wish everyone would stop saying that he's losing 30 mil by not signing with the team that owns his rights.

The only reason that number is that high is he gets a 5 yr deal as opposed to a 4 yr deal with anyone else.

If you were you add the first year of the next deal he signs to the 4 yr deal, I doubt its anymore than say 5 or 6 mil.

So unless, he's afraid he's not gonna be able to command the same kind of contract in his next deal or maybe his back is a bigger problem than he's leading on......I think he walks.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

fair point. But the first year of the next year, first of all, can only be 35% of the cap. For argument's sake, I'll say 15 mil

But the back issue IS an issue--especially 4 years down the line. And it's not a predictable one.

So on one deal, we're talking 100% chance of 30 mil

The other way, we're talking maybe (I would think even very optimistically for him) 50% chance 15 mil, 30% 8 mil, 15% 5 mil, 5% 0 (injured)... that's roughly 11 mil expected value. So it's still basically 20 mil less, even using your logic

(admittedly rough percentages and figures and all, but I can't imagine the changes one might expect would change the # that much)

9. Socrates

Socrates Member

Ok, I didn't know about the 35% rule. So you're saying that players like Lebron and Wade would have to take a pay cut on their next deal? That doesn't sound right for some reason.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I wouldn't downplay the importance of that 5th year. A LOT can happen in that time span, and there's no guarantee that you'll be getting paid that much on your next contract. We're talking half a decade here.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The last Max players to sign a 4 year deal as opposed to a 5 year deal were....NO ONE.

All of them have sign and traded at the least and tax paying teams can't do that after this year.

12. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Also the raises are smaller 3 percent less a year) so spread over a career and given the size of his contract the impact be cumulative. Also there is the possible loss of 1 year on his contract (eg if he stays with Houston he signs a 5 plus y years contract at higher rates of increase instead of a 4 plus 5 year contract with the lower pay raise. Depending on his health and performance in year 9, he may not get that last year.

Also, people remember that the old sign and trade is gone with the new CBA - only the team he ends up on next year can give him the five year contract.

13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Cyberx,

Thanks for all the info. I believe you are giving us info that you know. However, I share the same confusion that other posters have, which is, why are you so certain Dwight will walk if traded to Houston. I get that he is vehemently opposed to Houston - it means the death of his dream (NY or LA) if he is traded here. So he has no choice but to threaten as much as possible to walk away if traded to HOU, and threaten as much as possible to blackball ORL if traded here, because a trade here means he's screwed out of his dream.

I also understand that if the packages are relatively close, ORL would traded him to LA. That's why there's the talk of the 3-way; ORL is trying to give him what he wants and is hoping that HOU will give nearly as much for Bynum sa they would for Dwight (but it requires HOU to play ball).

However, if he is traded here (assuming we offer the best package by a decent amount which we could), how would he feasibly go to LA or NY at the end of the year? All those teams are capped out and CANNOT make an offer to him above $5M/year. If he goes to Dallas, Atl or Cleveland, he leaves $30-50M on the table over his career, and those markets are NOT really any different from HOU (plus HOU now has the Chinese market). HOU would have to agree to a trade. If they don't, how will he get to LA/NY? Are you really so certain that he will walk away from the money when there is no LA/NY/CHG market he can head to in the offseason?

Chris Webber was traded to Sacramento. He cried on the plane ride over, but later admitted it was a blessing. Gasol got traded (and then rescinded, but still) to HOU without his consent. Josh Smith has been trying to get traded out of Atlanta forever. Maybe these superstars don't have quite the same clout nowadays as they used to...

14. Fullcourt

Which doesn't matter anyways because S&T don't allow 5 year contracts anymore, nor allow the % increase that a bird rights provide.

15. cyberx

cyberx Member

I am not certain... I know what he is saying and who he is saying it to. He is saying he WILL walk. He will cry and whine his whole way here, but there is a chance that Morey will call his bluff and the end of the year and basically we will see then who has the cojones to make something happen.

Dwight could be all talk, really... As we know, he changes his mind up daily.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I guess we can add those to the list. lmao.

Here's more Asik in an Asik thread

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lo5hPhUqKow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Fullcourt

Even if I were to believe you, Howard saying he would walk doesn't necessarily mean much. Truth is, Howard wants Brooklyn (and now possibly LA). He knows if the Rockets trade for him, his preferred destination will be forever impossible to get to. Guess what the only thing Dwight can do to gain leverage is? Say he'll walk next offseason to scare the Rockets off. It's the only logical thing to say, even if you don't mean it.

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Ok something's weird. I KNOW this thread is about our brand new center, right?
    I hear he is from Chicago, right?

So how come every time I enter Dwight Howard it changes automatically to Dwight Howard? Weird right?

And what's REALLY weird, it is happening in all the posts here about Dwight Howard! Bizzare I tell ya !

Well at least later today the real Dwight Howard will be introduced by Dwight Howard down at Toyota center right ?

19. Fullcourt

There is an Asik sticky up top. This thread is the cyberx "inside information" thread.

20. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Got a text from Morey that the Bulls told him today they will not match.

Just thought I'd let the board know.

Just sayin....the inside info is about....Dwight Howard....oh no I meant to write...oh gawd oh gawd...

lol Chill out....