1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey annoyed during SR610 interview.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dram1, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not so sure I get what you mean. They were criticizing him on no championships and it will be impossible to get stars here.

He came back with tons of NBA players live here (so the city isn't the problem) and not very many teams win championships in the NBA. He is basically calling them out as intellectually lazy.

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Remember when he first came here, he was the nicest person. What happened? I just your true self will come out sooner or later.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who? Josh Innes?

4. conquistador#11

definitely, the douche had left messages on Maury's twitter, heckling him.
    It's strange that the douche says nothing bothers him and that people are sensitive, but he can't even handle the gentle Caliendo or any criticism at all. Always so touchy.:p

5. onreego

onreego Member

Intellectually lazy is right; there are still guys on 610 trying to argue whether or Lin is worth a 15 mil cap hit in year 3. I know some people on here can't get the facts right but at least they're not on the radio giving incorrect info.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Why are they so worried about something that is happening 3 years from now? I don't get it. Since when are a players first 25 games there best 25 games. Morey has a knack for selecting good guards who always end up surprising people so this fear is highly unfounded. Mark Cuban also wanted Lin this FA. In fact, Cuban and Collangelo called Lin at 12:01 am once FA started. Cuban is also very statistically driven.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. What little I've heard from 610, and believe me it's very little, their arguments been so generic and weak. Not even arguments really, just baiting statements. He answered their "arguments" exactly as they had been stated.

If a person wants rational answering, they should provide succinct Questions and well laid out arguments.

8. onreego

onreego Member

Agreed that Morey has had a good record thus far with point guards. I do think Lin, however, was not based on the same decisions he made for acquiring Lowry or even Dragic.

That said, my issue is with the fact that there have been multiple media reports stating that Lin's cap hit is averaged at 8 mil/yr for the Rockets. Even weeks after the offer sheet was offered, these guys at 610 still can't get it right.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

What do you mean by this?

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lord asked the right questions and did a good job.

Innes on the other hand is a hot-head and should try ask himself the same question. He is mediocre. Why should he be around at this time next year? Dude needs to take a breath when he gets pissed off.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

And yes you are right. It drives discussion a lot better when they say 15 million in year three over 8 million in year 3 lol. They know what they are doing.

12. onreego

onreego Member

What I meant by that is that Morey's decision to acquire Lin had less to do with his potential to become a very good pg and more to do with "Linsanity." In other words, it was more business compared to his reasons to acquire Lowry and Dragic. But of course that's just my opinion.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Oh. I have to disagree. Lin's production is directly related to "linsanity". If he doesn't produce that all goes away. Morey knows that. That is why I think the investment has pretty much everything to do with him having the potential to become a very good pg. If it had more to do with Linsanity, he would have offered Lin a lot more than 25 million. Lin's salary is equivalent to that off a top draft pick (check kyrie's salary) which is essentially what Lin is.

14. onreego

onreego Member

Oh I completely agree with you. What I'm saying is that when he went after Lowry and Dragic it was based on his statistical belief that they would develop into solid to very good PGs. However, Morey knows that compared to Lin, those 2 would in no way bring in the revenue nor the potential national media coverage that Lin would. I'm sure that he also believes that Lin could be just as productive as Lowry and Dragic but there's a reason why he let Dragic walk so easily.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Well he let Dragic walk because he wanted more money right. He wanted that fourth year. If Lin had wanted that fourth year he wouldn't have giving it to him right. If Dragic had settled for that 3rd year Dragic would still be here. Remember he didn't contact Lin until after Dragic and Lowry left. There were three teams that contacted Lin at 12:01 Toronto and Dallas were two of them and there was another unknown team (not the Knicks or Rockets).

16. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Morey's is putting the focus is positioning but he apparently doesn't realize we're in the same position every year. Cap space, assets bla bla bla. Innes was speaking for the fans that don't have a "In Morey we trust" jacket on. What's the use of having cap space & assets if you can't do anything with them

17. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

So you're saying we should forget about managing cap space and assets? Genius idea.

Tell me what you want the Rockets to do instead. Oh wait, I guess you haven't even thought that far.

Morey and his approach to maintaining salary cap flexibility is infinitely better than GM's like Isiah Thomas who gives out ridiculous contracts to overrated players: Allen Houston $100M, Jerome James $30M, Stephon Marbury $76M, Eddy Curry $60M, Jared Jeffries $30M.

#237 tikwanleap, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  18. roxxy

roxxy Member

Let's be the knicks.

19. lockmat

lockmat Member

I am not here to complain about Innes. I actually agree with him a lot, he just needs to be more professional about it.

The main reason I came to post was because I am sick and tired of these radio hosts bashing Morey bc of this recent interview. These guys are clueless and totally unrealistic. They may not have liked Moreys answers from a fans perspective, but its realistic and the truth. These guys are so short sighted its annoying!

Of course every fan wants a championship every year. Did their parents give them everything they wanted growing up?

The NBA is not the NFL. Unless you trade or sign a top 10 player, it takes years to become competitive.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

There is a funny thread way back there somewhere that tries to break down the different types of CF participants using humor. Such as the "Cool Thread Bro" posters and so on.

I thinks it's more simple that that in reality, just not as funny as that other thread. I break it into two types. Fact-based posters and Emotion-based posters. We see this play out here all the time, every day, and especially this summer.

To me, 610 and especially Josh are trying to appeal to the latter. 610 has become fact-free radio. It is all emotion driven, along the lines of - "How does it make you feel?" IMO, this crosses the demographics but especially resides in the younger generation who have been raised on the idea that every person is special as is each person's opinion. This applies to Josh specifically, and his generation generally. I see it as the Montessori School approach on steroids, applied to adults. All humans are born narcissistic. It's up to parents and society to a lesser extent to bring them around. Parents seem to be skipping this step nowadays.

It's too bad Morey had to deal with it. Just like it is too bad for the rest of us. But just like Morey did, we deal with it and move on.

1 person likes this.