1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les "was so angry" at Daryl during the Rise of Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 20, 2012.

1. sabesque

sabesque Member

Does this imply that Morey has a reasonable level of autonomy?

I dont know why, but I always assumed most moves, cuts, ect needed to be okay'd by Alexander.

2. Know Your Role

oh man, I thought I was the only one who saw that. Lin came up more clutch than the other two and finished better at the time.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Those were probably just thoughts :) Dragic had a strong 2nd half of his previous season with the Rockets. There wasnt a CHANCE he'd be 3rd PG behind Lin. Even Terrence Williams mighta had as much of a shot.

Generally in preaseason, its the bench closing out games to limit injuries to the rotation guys. How are Lowry or Dragic going to be clutch in the closing moments when they're intentionally taken out the game?

Lin played ONLY less than 8 total minutes in preseason. And really just 4 of those minutes meant anything. And the Rockets lost anyway. He he did show in those minutes he was clearly better than Jonny Flynn and Jeff Adrien. Lin was the 15th guy if not for their "handshake agreement" with the Jeff Adrien signing.

4. vernonmaxwell86

this is good

les cares alot about this team doing well

5. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I don't know what Morey and the rest of the team were thinking when they cut Lin. The dude was impressive in the pre-season games. Clearly better than some of the other competition that made the cut

6. deshen

deshen Member

Nothing surprises me. Even Morey showed positive sign on signing Lin, he is still below-averaged GM so far, imo.

7. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Wow interesting.......
    Les is the Jerry Jones of the NBA it seems....
    at least he is trying to build Something great

8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

He was probably like "Morey you idiot i said cut F-lyn-n not Lin, i knew this kid was special from the start!"

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think these are signs the Rockets won't be part of a Dwight/Bynum trade. They're switching over to overdrive on Linsanity to the media.

As I said before they're taking a huge financial risk this season without the Fox TV money. That loss of revenue plus the money put in to launch their own channel will hurt if subscriptions are tepid. Marketing needs something to sell.

11. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

loooool!!!!!

12. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

never understood some rockets fans saying Les didnt care about winning.

Les has always shown guts to make big time trades. I love Les as an owner.

13. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Wow, Les :grin: They say there's little more beautiful than a child's laughter :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

or how he was responsible for signing dalembert last season? or how he gave that contract to matt maloney who was dating his daughter at the time?

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dude Les Alexander just ate 18M$ in salary from a PF he didn't have to cut just so we'd have a chance to get a superstar.

To say Alexander doesn't care about money is not true, but he's also not all about the money. This is the same guy who forked out cash that enabled us to buy DMO's pick, not to mention C-Bud's pick, Parson's pick among others.

16. Crush

Crush Rookie

Or they're not dumb like the Knicks hyping up Lebron to NY, LMAO, or anything talking about how special they are (even though they need desperate ploys to try and get people interested.

The Rockets organization would lose respect if they did these dubious things

On the contrary, Linsanity could even help land Dwight, beyond its simple purpose of keeping people interested

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'll never call the man cheap. Les ain't no Donald Sterling. He may be petulant. He may be permenantly trapped in a mid-life crisis, keeping his button-down shirt too wide open like he still thinks he's at a 70's swinger party, revealing his wrinkley grey chest-skin to all who dare look. He may cackle like a witch who's caught her nipple on a rosebush. But he aint cheap.

#57 Aruba77, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course it does. But I think Alexander trusts DM 99% of the time and probably lets moves go with just a few sentences.

"Hey maybe we can shell out 3M to buy back our own pick from Minny. I think we can get a real good player at that spot"

"K."

Or

"Hey we're probably gonna have to cut that kid Lin from the roster, he's played amazing so far but we need roster space to sign Dalembert, and that kid's the only unguaranteed contract we have left"

"K."

Remember one of the biggest gripes Alexander has from RA is he wouldn't give regular updates on what he's been doing, I think Alexander wants to know what you're doing but lets you do your own thing....until Linsanity occurs LOL.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, we would have matched...are you kidding me? You're asking that in a Les Was So Angry thread? And this assumed Linsanity would have happened here when Lin was 3rd string.

Besides, all reports from Lin and his agents say the Knicks could have got him to sign straight away had they treated special after July 1st. We would have, so he might never have signed an offer sheet in the first place. He wanted to be loyal to the team where Linsanity occurred. If it occurred here and he got to know Yao more, he would have stayed with no offer sheet.

Also, the only reason the Knicks didn't match was because they'd be in 4:1 luxury tax territory. We would presumably be under the cap, or just over it. So, the $15m 3rd year would have not be taxed, or only a little, relatively to Knicks.

20. amaru

amaru Member

When your the guy signing the checks you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. :)