1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

6 degrees of separation: Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 19, 2012.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

2. BBAL

BBAL Member

Very insightful description of how all the events played out. NY was pretty shady, but to make it worse tried to dump it on Lin, and SAS was their front spokesman. Vomit worthy.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Really, you guys should read this.

4. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Spot on! Good read

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, does this mean I am only 3 degrees of separation from Lin.

So, I played HS ball against Isiah Thomas.
    Isiah was president of the Knicks for Dolan
    Dolan let Lin go.

Does that count as 3 degrees?

6. megatruong

megatruong Member

Long read but interesting nonetheless. Great find!

7. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Knicks are dumb, really dumb. Rockets really didn't think they would get Lin. Im Glad things worked out in our favor.

8. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

What I found interesting was the mentioning of the genius of Daryl Morey...like we didn't know already

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find the main premise non-sense. The idea people prefer to see an Asian guy succeed over a black guy is just ridiculous.

When Tiger Wood was first winning titles he was HUGE sensation - far bigger than Lin. Part of it was how good he was. But a bigger part of it was that he was a black guy dominating a white man's sport. He was a trailblazer and hero. It was fascinating. Would a white guy have been able to generate as much publicity for the sport of golf? I seriously doubt that. Let's face it, it was a big part of the story.

Now with Lin, you have an Asian player who is doing well without having to be freakishly Yao-Ming tall. That's unique. Throw in the cinderella story line and you get a sensation. Lin has a remarkable story - just like woods, and also is a trailblazer. He's succeeding in a world that Asians don't.

I don't think the issues with Lin had to do with race. I think it had to do with Carmelo's big ego and him feeling that he had to be the man - the article did get that right. But the other stuff is ridiculous.

10. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

of course race has a lot to do with. it would be bigger because there's not a lot of asians that play in the nba or other sports for that matter. there's been plenty of successful black & white guys.

if a potentially great nba player from india or another sport emerges it will be a big deal because there hasnt been any of them.

you cant deny human nature & human nature at its core is very tribal.

11. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

I agree with you

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

That was the first piece of journalism with any sort of real quality for Henry Abbot. Usually he is not a very good journalist but darn it, I'm impressed.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

I just realized he only did the first part. Still, well done piece by all 6 contributors to the story.

14. TheresTheDagger

ESPN puts out a good NBA piece.

Huh.

I guess even a stopped clock IS right twice a day.

15. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Great read. I especially found the last chapter - Lin's Camp - most interesting. I feel bad for Lin for being painted as the bad guy by NY and all. It really does seem like while he does have interest in Hou, he was really set to return to NY.They said they'd match anything yet when it was all said and done, they chickened out. It seems to be that Lin didn't screw NY but it was the other way around.

Also found it very interesting that Lin compared his game to Dragic's. I agree that its quite similar. One thing I'd like to know though - does Lin stay with his dribble like Dragic? Because that's probably the most impressive thing about Dragic.

16. Raven

Raven Member

You're right, and there's nothing wrong with Asians cheering for Lin because they identify with him. And while I haven't finished the article yet, I found the attempt to portray Marshmallow as having good intentions to be pure spin. This is about media adulation and shots, and Marshmallow wasn't happy with sharing either of them with Lin. Selfishness pure and simple.

1 person likes this.
  17. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

[​IMG]

Mack Truck Morey lol.

18. dragonz

dragonz Member

I loled after reading this article, the author is trying so hard to make both NYK and Melo look good in this incident, hell, not only this incident, but overall image.

Although I think not matching Lin's contract is in both Knicks and Rockets' interest, but I disagree with this so called "family" concept, and Melo's role as "family protector", every single act of Melo is a reflection of his self ego and greed. If he wants to be in NY so bad, he shouldn't force NYK's hand to make a deal with Denver that traded almost every single asset NYK had.

IMO, NYK is a dysfunction franchise, their owner is a messed up rich boy with a no idea what he is doing, and Melo is a self-serving diva who is hungry for self and self only glory. No beautiful words can change that.

19. dragonz

dragonz Member

No, no really, I watched enough games of Lin to realized he is smart & quick around picks. He usually makes good decisions, but most of those decision involves certain level of gamble (like all asian ppl do like, lol jk), and if the gamble turn out bad, he has limited ways to get out of it. And that contribute to his high TO rate.

On the other side, Dragic had played and learned from Steve Nash, who is so good at keeping his dribble alive.

20. dragonz

dragonz Member

By Chris Broussard

No wonder