1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welcome JaJuan Johnson 6-9 PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Jul 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. alethios

alethios Member

I like our forward thinking. We definitely have too many guards on this team.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

hopefully not posted from nbadraftdotnet

25 - JaJuan JohnsonPurdue

Birthday: 2/8/89
    NBA Position: Power Forward
    Class: Senior
    Ht: 6-10
    Wt: 220
    Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
    High School: Franklin Central
    Team Site Profile
    Statistics
    erall
    2011 Mock: 27 Big Board: 25 Pos Rank - PF: 9
    NBA Comparison: Maceo Baston/Hakim Warrick

Strengths: A long, tall forward with good scoring instincts ... Is a legit 6'10" in shoes with a long 7'2" wingspan ... Has very impressive leaping ability with unusual explosiveness for a big man ... Tied for having the highest maximum jump reach in the 2011 NBA Draft Combine, getting as high as 12'1.5" ... Frequent target for ally-oops and lob passes ... Very agile and mobile ... Has the speed to play the small forward position at the next level ... Really improved his scoring ability every year he was at school ... Has a smooth and refined turnaround jumper, which is very difficult to defend due to his length ... Has shooting range out to around 18 feet from the basket ... Has become a real threat in the post ... Nice-looking hook shot from the left side of the rim, with a soft touch and a high release point ... A factor on the offensive glass, gets a lot of tip-ins and put-backs ... Great free throw shooter (80.9%) that gets to the stripe a lot (209 attempts in 2010-2011) ... Moves his feet well on defense ... Big-time shot blocker, averaging 2.3 per game ... Had a successful 4-year career at Purdue ...

Weaknesses: Lacks bulk ... Doesn't appear to have the frame that can support much more weight in the future ... Gets pushed around when trying to defend players in the post ... Offensively he prefers to play in the post, but there are questions about whether this will translate to the next level where just about every power forward will be bigger than he is ... Will have trouble establishing and maintaining good position down low ... Somewhat of a tweener ... Doesn't have the strength of a power forward, but doesn't have the perimeter skills of a small forward ... Poor ball-handling ability ... Cannot create offense for himself on the perimeter ... He isn't the rebounder that someone with his size and athleticism could be ...

Overall: Johnson is an NBA athlete, but there are questions regarding his position and skill-set ... Does he have the frame to support more weight? Can he hold his own in the post against bigger players? ... If a team is confident that he'll be able to contribute, he could find a spot in the late-1st round ...

Tyler Ingle 6/17/11

Strengths: A lean, athletic forward who thrives in the open floor … A superior athlete with excellent length, leaping ability and body control … Also a force defensively using his 7-foot plus wingspan to register over 2 blocks per game … His offensive game has shown steady improvement (15 ppg as a junior) … Solid and consistent from the line at over 70% … Has developed a righty jump hook shot … Gets a lot of dunks off of ally oops … Quick off his feet … Good fluidity. Runs the floor well … Came into Chicago adidas Nations camp in August looking bulked up (possibly in the 225 lbs range). Shoulders appear to be rounding out some … Plays with good energy. High motor … Mature person off the court (senior) who will enter the league with a degree …

Weaknesses: A tweener. Although he has the length to play either forward position, his lack of strength inside and skills on the outside makes him a tweener for the NBA level … Weight appears to be a long term issue for him. He has not been able to put on significant weight in his time at Purdue … Wears an undershirt which appears to hide his lack of strength in his shoulders … He lacks the frame/body type to put on substantial weight and carry it without limiting his athletic ability … His lack of weight keeps him from being an imposing rebounder and throw down dunks over defenders as often as he should. Defenders are able to push him out of the paint and bully him around the basket … Despite adding weight over the summer, he may not be able to retain it throughout a basketball season … Still needs to become better at creating offense for himself, both on the perimeter and especially in the paint. His post moves have shown some improvement but he lacks offensive polish … Knocks down the occasional mid-range shot but must expand his range and improve his consistency … Passing ability is average at best … Lacks great ball handling ability to create offense for himself ... The majority of his offense comes from transition baskets, rebounds, and shots within 5 feet of the basket ... His 50% FG shooting for a post player is evidence of his lack of offensive skill with so many of his baskets coming off of dunks and easy buckets ... ]

3. Swami

Swami Member

That can not be true, we never acquire PFs taller then 6'8". ;)

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

why would the Rockets waive him, he's on a guaranteed contract.

your overall position reminds me on when someone claimed that the Wolves were offering Derrick Williams (no.2 pick last year) for Batum because they wanted to cut salaries.

I mean, sure, we can fantasize. But within reason.

The more reasonable position would be that the Celtics would rather keep their assets. The Bobcats 2nd rounder alone will be nice. Johnson is a cheap 1st rounder.
    Both would be received for free if the deal goes through.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Roster went from short and slow to tall, long, and quick. Sure, we gave up skill, but skill can be developed.

And how long before he can be traded?

1 person likes this.
  6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

reread my post. i didn't say that the Celtics aren't getting anything. i said that you aren't giving up anything.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Dusting off the old 'hitler finding about about rockets getting another tweener'

http://meemsy.com/v/2568

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Being a recent Purdue Alum, I watched a lot of JaJuan in college.

He has great length and is a decent rebounder and scorer but lacks the bulk to be effective in the NBA. Good range that extends out to the 3 point lane. He needs to put on 20-30 lbs to be effective

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this is like the funniest thing I have read here in a long time. It's like a rat getting cocaine. Just wants to do a little more cocaine.

[​IMG]

10. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

11. Raven

Raven Member

No bigger critic of Morey's rebuilding plan than me, but it's obvious this is another asset move, so why the snark?

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

13. ling ling

ling ling Member

The Boston pick is likely to be an early 2nd round pick (30-35), while the 2 NY 2nd round picks will likely be lower 2nd round picks (40=50).

14. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Why Morey no ask for Greg Steisma

15. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Come on , it's not as bad as Camby's shot. If this guy hustles and plays defense and rebounds and attacks the basket unlike PPatt, he will be ok. I don't see Ppatt in our future however.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

sorry didnt mean it that way. I like you actually. what you said was funny. I mean the funniest thing I read all day. I guess the irony is not lost on you now that we are going nuts with the trading.

It's like the 2nd he's in the door the axe is coming down and we are passing that hot potato on to the next thing. Seems a tad on the gore side. Like I said lets do some coke and trade some more !! I realize its a shell game, and moreys hands are probably quicker than you/me eyes.

still it was funny. thanks for the laugh.

17. Dei

Dei Member

I'd only like this move if he can play center.

18. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Funniest thing I've heard in a while. A Rocket having to ask to be traded :grin:

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

lol right .. and when have you ever heard of a scrub level rookie demanding a trade ...c'mon man :rolleyes:

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still hard to believe they kept Brockman over Leuer.....guaranteed bla bla