1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you start following the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackball, Jul 17, 2012.

1. southernconfort

About 1981, that was the home team and my favorite sport. Plus I remember meeting Moses Malone when I was a kid and being in awe

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

People that weren't following the Rockets in the 90's don't really know what a championship team really is in Houston so I can now understand why guys can think starting Asik and Motiejunas at center and power forward will win us a championship in 2-3 years.

3. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

It started when I was just 5 in '98. My dad was a Hakeem fan so by default I was a Rockets fan. Been in love with the franchise ever since.

4. jvu

jvu Member

Dumbest post ever. Get out of here with that elitist bs! You sound like a little kid who just got the first batch of Pokemon cards. No one even said asik and montie would win a championship. Dumb.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

92-93...were some of the first games i remember watching and attending with my fam...

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You should check the Asik threads before you go calling anything dumb.

7. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

My brother and i became fans around 13 years ago, we used to think Steve Francis was the best player ever!:grin:

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

First Rockets memory: Game 4, 1995 finals. Too young to really grasp it and the ensuing years, but still understood just enough to appreciate the hell out of Dream, Clyde, and company.

When did I really start having a cogent understanding of Rockets basketball? That would be the Quitten season, although I prefer to think more positively of it as "Cuttino's first season".

9. RocBoy

RocBoy New Member

Around the time they Drafted Yao, then they got T-Mac and my head exploded. :eek:

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

My love fare with the Rockets was on and off. Lived in the Chicago area, I started following them after watched a couple games against my Bulls in 90's, I just loved the Dream, thought he was the best. I didn't follow them as much when Dream got traded, but reconnected after they got Yao.

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I used to run with the Rockets on Tecmo basketball for Nintendo. Watched my first NBA ball during a couple Tornado scares on a little black and white set when it was Rockets against Knicks in the Finals. Been a fan since.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Casually they were on my radar since the early 80's when Akeem got drafted. My grandfather had him in his freshman English class at UH, so I followed him as much as any young kid would.

1992-1993 season was when I got sucked into fandom. My boss played the games on AM and I had no choice but to pay attention.

13. fkc20

fkc20 Member

When they draft yao

14. Mariachi ROCKET

15. FadeAway_Dreams

I wasn't brought up on basketball and I'm nowhere near houston. I missed the first championship. Came into it the next season when I ended up watching basketball with a friend who was a fan of David Robinson. One Texas team led to another and I got to witness Hakeem play (and destroy Robinson). Hooked ever since.

16. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Yao's rookie year. It had literally nothing to do with Yao. I was in 6th or 7th grade and was finally getting into the NBA and really liked Franchise/Mobley. I had a Hakeem jeresey when I was little, so even though I knew nothing about the team, I claimed them as my favorite. I didn't start paying attention until the Yao era though.

17. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

i remember a few games during the chip years but i was only 7 so i wouldn't count that. i really followed them around '02 when i started playing fantasy basketball. i remember always grabbing the chronicle to check stats. since then i've been a true rockets fan.

18. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I started following them in '05-06 when I was a kid in highschool. T-Mav was the man, and JVG was a damn good coach

19. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

When I was a 5 year old kid in '78 and remember the Rockets losing to the Boston Celtics in '80-'81 season... talk about a heart break. I loved watching the Rockets and we didn't have much extra money growing up, but I would get to go to the at least one game a year. Awesome memories.

Been on Clutchfans, back when it was Clutchcity since '86. Dropped old email account and forgot my log in for the site. So guess I look like a newbie. **** happens.

20. wadero

wadero Member

I started in 1989!!!