1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, are we suddenly in a good position now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragonz, Jul 18, 2012.

1. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Jersey sales will go up the roof! Thank you Morey.:grin:

2. Charlesj

Charlesj Member

It sounds like your down with rebuilding, but I think that we are already into that process. We have a solid rookie class to count as rebuilding pieces to go along with a sure lottery pick when we dont make the Playoffs this year! To trade the rooks plus those future first round picks would be more then killer, we'd be off the map for 10 years with the Howard strategy, rebuild from where we are now and maybe four years up the road one of these rooms will have established themselves along with one of the high lottery picks we will aquife from loosing the next two years and we will be on to something! I am not for giving away that ability for Howard only to see him walk

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Well pretty soon we'll have Duhon as a backup... so there is that.

4. koby1868

koby1868 Member

criticize with facts instead of speculation. The haters should just keep their opinions to themselves. He's our starting pg.

5. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

-Lin & Douglas? None of these guys are long-term solutions. Ones too turnover prone and mostly here for "marketing" and the other is a scrub who'll probably be flipped next year for another scrub. This is pure truth, no bias

-We've been "leading" in the right direction for 5 years. Call me when it happens. When it doesnt happen you'll say "Well um, atleast Morey tried dude it's not his fault he didnt get Howard!!!" Excuses will be used.

- I do like Jeremy Lamb. He can hoop. But he won't have time to develop under Morey because he'll probably be flipped in one of two years. This is the worst place in the professional sports as far as player development. Doube edged sword

Bottom line, the Rockets are still 5-6 years from being anything special. They'll eventually rebuild successfully but not under Daryl Morey. Lin is overpaid and Omar Asik is a scrub with hustle who's overpaid as well. The only positive is we're going to suck and will probably have a good draft next year. But we still dont have the right coach or FO to make basketball decisions. The only decisions Morey's best at are "marketing" or cap cutting.

6. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

My thoughts exactly lol. I guess that's what happens when you're spoiled by a HOF Center to back to back 'ships. Some how the world is not right until the middle is sured up....

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am truly appalled with your fault ridden analysis.

1: No one and I MEAN NO ONE can accurately forecast the probability of Howard staying if the Rockets trade for him. For you to pretend that you can strikes me as complete folly.

2: Howard is possibly the best defensive player in the NBA (a case could be made for LBJ of course). When he is in the lineup the game plan of the other team is changed for the worse. He is a one man paint protector and those cheap ass PG drives into the paint become much less palatable.

3: 20/14. OK say it with me. 20/14. The guy is a monster.

4: If Howard played in the finals Bosch becomes a non-factor and LBJ on the high post does not require a double team. It sort of nixes the Orlando game plan doen't it?

1 person likes this.
  8. dram1

dram1 Member

Well being in the leading position for Howard and our summer rookies looking good are the same point as getting Howard would require all or most of our rookies.

And with Lin coming in....we are still a roster full of rookies and PFs...nothing in that regard has changed YET.

9. Happii

Happii Member

We need to get rid of K-Mart...

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think the Rockets are in great shape. If the Rockets go with the rookies, lets look where we will be after this next season. We may possibly be a team filled with promising young players. We will have cap space to sign free agents, or to easily make trades. We will have one or possibly two lottery picks in the next draft.

At this point we don't know how well the rookies will play, but we have seen them play well in the summer league games, so we at least have a shot at a couple of these guys turning into quality players. If four rookies get major minutes, I think you could expect a poor record. Even if the rookies show a lot of promise I think the record will not be good. A poor record and our position in next years lottery improves. If the rookies and Lin do very well and our record isn't all that bad, our draft position will suffer, but the value of the rookies goes way up and helps us in a possible trade for superstars. The only real danger that I see is if most or all of our rookies turn out to be total busts. If that happens then their trade value is almost worthless, and the rebuilding process would be long and difficult.

So, I think it all comes down to how you feel about the future of our current crop of rookies and Jeremy Lin. So far, everything looks good.

11. Pete the Cheat

The Five Stages of Grief

1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining<--- dragonz?
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance

12. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Man I would hate to see some of you in real life..This team does not suck...not a Championship team but looking much better than a few weeks ago..

13. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Furthermore,

This teams plan was to build around Yao and Tmac we have suffered some bad luck with injuries....Ever since they went down Morey been trying to make us relevant again and he has...They're at least talking about us now(getting Lin)

14. dram1

dram1 Member

1.Dude didn't say it's guarateed he stays...the situation is just a bit more appealing for him stay as he would hitch a ride on the LINSANE TRAIN into China. Dude would be a world icon...he will like this. But no guarantees.

2. Paint Protector? I agree with you on this...he is very good defending the basket in the paint.

3.20/14...IN THE EAST....does he put these numbers up in the Western Conference going up against consistently better competition that is the West? No guarantees there either.

4. Take Bosch out of the paint forcing Howard out to the 3-pt line and attck the weak-side. (OK I always wanted to say "attack the weakside") But my point is Howard can't be the paint defender he always is if he is being drawn out by his man, unless they are in a zone.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

yes and agree! BEAUTIFUL position capwise next year - with tons of young cheap talent....

1 person likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not really. My trust in Morey (and I'm supposedly a hater) is the only thing that keeps me from going ballistic on the team. I think Lin will be a flame-out and an albatross, and I think we've blown up too much of the team to convince Howard to sign a new contract with us. But, yeah at least our rookies are looking good. But, I'm giving Morey this season to play with. If he gets Howard and then Howard leaves next offseason, I'll be demanding his head. If he gets Bynum and Bynum has a significant injury, I'll be demanding his head. I had been insistent on getting a franchise player this season, but because he dismantled the old team, I'll be okay if he stands pat and gets a high lotto pick instead.

17. southernconfort

I'm curious if Howard would re-sign with Houston because of Lin. Isn't the main reason he wanted Brooklyn cause of Adidas wanting him there and he would get more money? I maybe wrong, but China is a bit larger than Brooklyn and alot more people, so Adidas may try to get him to stay here for their purposes, plus with him getting more money from us than anywhere else.... humm

Just a thought

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'll take Lin, Machado, Top 10 Pick from Toronto, considerably less cap space the next two seasons at PG over Dragic and Lowry any day.

If you think about it keeping Lowry and re-signing Dragic would be more than what we'll pay Lin in the 3rd year while Machado is still on a rookie scale.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You have good points. We are mostly in agreement and I am OK with that.

Peace dude.

1 person likes this.
  20. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

^^this