1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has Game Flash Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 14, 2000.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Steve,

Can you describe the play, or just the result? I can't offer you dunking highlights with Xs and Os.

Dunks are found at other sites and on Sportscenter. Maybe you can tell me what you think is interesting out of the list I provided.

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

Phislamma/Behad,

I think you guys are overestimating the impact of a "playbook" falling into the oppositions hands. Any coach will tell you that its all in the execution. Even if you know exactly what the opposition is going to do, recognizing it, reacting to it, and executing a defensive strategy to counter it is 90% of the work.

Just ask anyone who has tried to defend the Utah pick & roll in the last 10 years.

Sure - coaches can pick up information from knowing specific plays and watching tape, but they are more likely to concentrate on mitigating the effect of certain players, or a team's overiding strategy.

HP, I want to see 6 and 17, because I think the team has been structured to take advantage of high big man maneuvres. Hopefully we will see players like Langhi, who can shoot long, and demand a big defender, setting high picks for the guards.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

[This message has been edited by davo (edited September 14, 2000).]

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Davo:

I think you misunderstood my position. I am all for using flash diagrams. I can't believe that they would help out the opposition in any way.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

4. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Cat slamming on Pippen's face, that chuckled me up. WOW! Cat totally blew Pippen away with his first step then he dunked over Pippen and Sabonis(I think). Now, THAT is cool. Hero kicking villains ass... in Rockets point of view.

Did anyone mentioned it before me in this topic?

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Flash is fine, but once you start getting into video and animating that video I do believe that it could benefit the opposition very easily.

I agree for the most part. Basketball is a very reactionary sport. However, it is because of that fact that diagramming our plays becomes a problem. If I know your play I don't need to react. I know your options. I can reasonably guess what your going to do. Add in the fact that I already know your strengths and tendencies and I can reasonably guess where you'll be on a given play. That gives an intelligent player an advantage. It gives an intelligent coach the advantage. I'm not dimissing the physical element of the game as having a major impact, but the game of basketball is played between the ears. The more information somebody has the better they can defend you as an individual, and as a team. You shouldn't underestimate the significance of that.

No analogy is a good one. But take this example. If I know Clemens is going to throw a fastball, then as a hitter I have a clear advantage. I don't know where that pitch is going to end up. It could be high. It could be low. I've still got to recognize and react, but I've already elminated having to think about a curve, knuckle, or splitter. So I'm at an advantage that somebody else woudn't have.

I don't think it's an easy thing to measure the advantage that knowing a play will have, but I'm quite sure it provides one. we're not worried about Flash, we are worried about where this web site will go next.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Go HP,

Do you have any done on file or website?

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How much ya wanna make a bet that teams in the NBA have VCR's and people with cameras? LOL! [​IMG]

Come on, man, you weren't serious, were you?

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bobo, man... you're killing me. Of all the people on this board I could probably get along with in real life, you'd DEFINITELY be in the top oh... 238, but you're making me sad.

Of course I think NBA people come here, but to think coaches in the NBA are going to rely on us for their scouting? They may look at what we say and what we do, but to make game changes based on it? Hrmm....

But then who am I to say how others' minds function?

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh... and #3.

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

D0D, the internet is a new avenue for the NBA to scout, it is not the only avenue, just another one of them. I did not say coaches use this site to make their gameplans. The scouts gather as much information on upcoming games and process them for the coach. The coach then makes a game plan accordingly.

Of all the people on this board, I would have thought you would have some insight as to the power of the internet. But, I have been wrong before, and will be again.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

12. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Well, HeyP, I'm glad I finally read this thread. When you're unsure about something, sometimes you avoid the subject so as not to expose your ignorance. I remember in the early '80's, I kept thinking,"What in the hell is this word processing that everyone is talking about? Geez, I feel dumb!" Anyway, now that I understand what you're talking about, it sounds like a great idea. It will be very helpful for people like me last year that didn't get to watch many games. And, for people like me this year (hopefully with League Pass), it will be much more fun to have this Flash stuff to discuss with.

By the way, with the kind of money funneling thru the NBA, if there is any team whose scouting is so pathetic and archaic that it could be upgraded by going to a BBS fans' diagrams, .... well, they could never win a game anyway. [​IMG]

------------------

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I dunno Bobo, maybe we'll hafta just disagree on this one. I just don't think they're gonna get that much more from these diagrams (no insult towards HeyPee, of course) than they get from scouting and existing basketball knowledge.

Ok, now I'm officially outta this thread 'cause HeyPee may get his panties in a wad if we derail his topic. [​IMG]

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

HP! I'm so touched! [​IMG]

Dude, I have been thirsting for flash plays since... uh... February. I feel your pain here, and I understand your frustration, but there is something you need to understand. Nobody here understands gameplay breakdown/strategy/terminology as well as you do. I've always thought you knew this, but they way you keep impatiently waiting for someone to respond to flex double pick is, well, cute. Dude. Very few fans, especially those who bash Rudy, are going to come out and ask you what a "flex" is in a public forum.

You're going to have to bring us along slowly. Diagrams 1-3 would be essential, with lots and lots of explanation, so at least we can talk in a common language. This may sound pureile, but I suggest defining "baseline", "wing", and everything else so that there can be no miscommunication. If we don't have the basic knowledge, we won't be able to discuss a damn thing. I would spend major time getting the basics down with everybody. Then we can get to the fun stuff.

I know from the first post of yours that I ever responded to last year, that you have made a point to not seem too arrogant or to separate yourself from everybody else with your game knowledge (or at least try [​IMG]). Go ahead and educate us, man. People who want to learn won't be insulted. Screw the rest. This is stuff I want to learn, and I have no other resource. Strategy is my favorite part of the game, but I need more help to understand the set plays.

After you've covered the basics, I like #7 and #14, mainly because they give a far more complete picture of how the team works, and shows why we absolutley must have players like Bullard, Wizard, and Collier. I would like to see Mobley's clear-out paired with Steve's clear-out to point out the differences. The defensive schemes employed by San Antonio and Minn can wait until last, as far as I'm concerned. I want to know how the play is supposed to work first. And I definitely want a flash of the multiple alley-oop threat. I don't get how you have have more than say, two in any given set play.

[This message has been edited by Nolen (edited September 14, 2000).]

15. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

HP:

Ditto everything Nolen said!

While I do have a good working knowledge of basketball terminology, I get lost on some of the specific terminology concerning Rocket plays. Yes, I coach, but remember, my players range from 12 down to 6 years old, so I can't get too technical with them.

How about this: a legend or a glossary? Most of us can skip over words like baseline or wing, but I will admit I don't know what the "zipper" play means. That way, you only have to explain it once, and people can refer back to it if your explanation of a diagram goes over their head.

This is a thread you want to do during the season, a thread you are passionate about. But if you want to keep the masses in line, you must educate them.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited September 14, 2000).]

16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Furthermore, I don't think we can aid opponents by making flash diagrams of Rocket plays. No way. These teams have millions and millions of dollars and very highly paid technicians who do nothing but make tape. They have the greatest coaches in the field baby feeding everything to these guys in any form necessary. Rudy isn't worried about the boys at NBA Tonight doing 3D diagrams of Rocket plays. He isn't going to worry about some Flash plays on a fan site.

Flashing out these plays is a must. Once we educate people, we'll actually have some very intelligent game talk in here. The world's best basketball BBS will get even better.

------------------

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yah, I really have no idea when it comes to the terminology.

I would like to understand how that offense with Walt at the 4 works.

what would that be called?

flexing the offense stifling the defense?

and what about the defense? But perhaps it's easier to start with the offense, eh?

too many questions?

huh?

huh?

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I think you are underestimating this web site and the fans that are here. The information you get from a fan site is entirely different than what you can learn from the inner circle. You get a whole different perspective on the same subject.

It's easy to forget how biased one can become when you are with the team. Group think is a real problem. You become clouded. A fresh perspective makes a difference. This site brainstorms if nothing else. And that is something that a good gatherer of information will seek out.

If you found this site useful, which I think you have, don't think someone else hasn't found it just as useful. The Web is one hell of a tool. So be careful of the information you share here or elsewhere. It can come back to sting you even if your intentions are good.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited September 14, 2000).]

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Thats an old Boston Celtics play.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.