1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin agrees to terms on offer sheet [Update: Lin officially signs]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Do you want Lin's contract matched

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

505 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't know, but to drag this thing out? Looks like a lose-lose for both teams to spend time fighting over this, when they need to be focusing on basketball, and selling their fans on the new season (and selling season tickets!) Still, Dolan is capable of anything. My concern is that if there's any question that calls for a "judgement" by the league (Stern), we probably lose. Any business with the courts would come after that, but I doubt that it will.

I think that, in the end, we'll find out what we want to know at midnight tonight, or tomorrow morning, and Dolan will probably match. What we'll do then is beyond my pay grade. Who's left to get as a starting point? Even Brooks is gone. I was intrigued that Goran Dragic has yet to sign his deal. Has to be just a timing thing for the Suns, but it would be a trip if he suddenly bailed on that deal to join his brother with the Rockets, taking the same contract Lin was offered that was matched by New York, if they match. While it's a 3 year deal, the average pay is close to $8.4 million for Lin, compared to an average of $7.5 million for the Dragic/Suns contract offer. The way I figure it, that's nearly $900,000 a season more. Highly unlikely to happen, of course. All hell would be raised, and a lot of hell is being raised as it is.

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

if dwill can sign his new contract on an ipad, theres no reason the offer sheet shouldnt be in the knicks FO seconds after its finalized by the rockets..

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It has to be hand delivered to NY's GM.

4. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Let the character assassination begin, I guess.

At this point, between this stuff and the quotes from Anthony and Smith, it would be pretty a pretty awkward locker room if the Knicks ended up matching.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I don't know about all that, but think your name is funny anyway -- Jimmy C.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

One thing I'm starting to really question is, would they really be talking this much **** about Lin and yanking his chain this much if they planned on matching? Not exactly great for a player's relationship with his organization.

I could see them putting reports out there that they are "leaning toward not matching" to stir up a fuss and create media interest. But all this stuff about him having a big head, them not being sold on his abilities, "hell-bent" on not matching, etc... I'm sure that feels great from Jeremy's perspective.

Wouldn't they just put it out there that they're not matching then quietly wait until the deadline? Why keep dragging up more muck?

7. Numb Saiyan

Numb Saiyan Member

I think the New York Knick(el and dime)s are just trying to save face to cover the fact Dolan allowed Lin to test the market and set his value. He's nothing more than a 'cash cow' with his merchandise on sale now. I can't wait to buy a Rockets jersey with his name on the back.

8. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Welcome Knicks TROLL and goodbye!!!!!

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you!!!!

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

No, they have contracted away their rights to redress in the courts.

Remember the Wilbut Marshall to the Oilers incident back in 1992 (i think it was '92)?

Ironically, it was then Redskins' GM Charley Casserley who actually colluded with Marshall's agent, a big shot DC lawyer (the same one who tried to get Clinton out of his troubles) to actually forge a document and screw over Houston. The Oilers could not sue then, even though they were clearly wronged. At the time, everyone assumed the Oilers would get screwed since the matter could only be resolved by the commissioner himself (not the courts). And the Commish was close personal friends with Dedskins owner Jack Kent Cooke.

Anyways, Houston (miraclulousy) "won" and got Marshall (who went on to be mostly a dud due to injury and age). But the Redskins got off somewhat lightly considering what they did. And Casserley was allowed to remain in his job, even though what he did was technically criminal fraud. And we all know where he later ended up. The sad irony that it was.

Anyway, point being, just like the NFL, NBA teams in dispute with one another are bound by the rulings of the league office with no right to appeal. It makes some sense if you think about it -- they dont want all their dirty laundry aired in public like that.

So far, here, the NBA has tried to distance itself from this matter, saying that the teams "traditionally" determine the time frame. They don't want to touch it.

But, if it gets to a point where they have to, remember 1992. Like back then, the Commish might want to side with NY, but his hands are tied. The Knicks have no defense here. They acted like children with the hiding and pouting, and the NBA will not be able to sanction that type of behavior.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

The DeadLIN ?

1 person likes this.
  11. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

The DeadLIN live on ESPN. "Where will Jeremy Lin take his talents to?!

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think a significantly underrated angle for the Knicks is that a Lin match would take them out of play for sign and trades in the next two summers. The media and NY fans are parading around this line that there's nothing for the Knicks to gain (basketball-wise) by not matching, since they're over the cap regardless. Essentially making it a debate of what's good for billionaire Dolan's wallet vs. what's good for the team. But that's not exactly true. For a team with a relatively short window, this is a big deal.

NY was close to Steve Nash this summer, in a sign-and-trade that would've involved Schumpert, picks and filler. They can easily do it again, especially with the amount of free agents that will undoubtedly try and leverage their way to NYC. If the Knicks match Lin, not only are they making a near $60 million commitment in two years, but they're essentially locking themselves into this team for the duration of the current window. It would be extremely difficult to make any additions of substance.

So, from a basketball standpoint, you have to ask... is that team good enough to contend with Miami? If it's not (and I don't think it is), the correct basketball decision is to let Lin go and see what's behind mystery door #2 over the next two years. Seems a lot of Knicks fans/media don't get it.

1 person likes this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

We better get him because there's no PG options left unless you want Foye to run the show..

15. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

No, lol.

16. Garner

Garner Member

Machado = step towards a the 2012/13 lotto pick.

I could live w that.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm still expecting a match despite the media assassination plot.

FWIW, Carmelo clarified his statements to say that the ridiculous part of the contract was the balloon payment, not the value of the contract. He said he and Lin have a great relationship and that anyone can ask Lin and he'd say the same.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I fully expect New York to match, who better than Screamin' A Smith to feed misinformation to?

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

https://twitter.com/rodboone

Rod Boone
    @rodboone

I cover the Brooklyn Nets for Newsday. It's been 35 years in the making. Chronicled Jets from '09-12. And before you ask, no I didn't play basketball in college

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

You also have to ask, did they have such little faith in Lin as the starter that they were willing to give up Shump, whom they love?