1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin agrees to terms on offer sheet [Update: Lin officially signs]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Do you want Lin's contract matched

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

505 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree with Bima. It's a smokescreen. They're keeping Lin even if it's financial suicide.

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

A smokescreeb or what? The offer is on the table. What would they be smokescreening wheather they match or not?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Help me understand what the smokescreen is for and why they'd go out and acquire Fortson, after already signing Kidd, if they're planning on matching this offer.

5. 713

713 Member

*felton

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I really was impressed with Lin when we had him and was against letting him go; however, he is not as good as Dragic and we are paying him more. This is about the Chinese market. Les is all over this. Money over basketball, always.

This is Beltran all over again: "perfect storm," incredible hot streak, never to be repeated. I so hope I am wrong. I want him to do well.

7. alcatrazpsycho

Hmm... Check it again.
    New York Knicks 2012-13 Roster

8. MadMax

duh..sorry about that.

9. Danckchi

Danckchi Member

Lin still have lots to learn and is inexperienced. Rockets should bring in someone to mentor him. Who do you guys think will be ideal?

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:confused:

Why all the dramatics? Believe it or not, there's some middle ground here. Yes, Lin's run in February was an incredible hot streak. But we aren't playing him the max or anywhere relatively close to what Beltran got from the Mets, for example. If the Knicks don't match, we're paying him just over $8 mil/year - perfectly reasonable for a young, starting-caliber PG with upside.

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

[​IMG]

The NY papers are punny this morning.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Remember, Lin is over 2 years younger than Dragic. So, he is still developing. He's gonna get better. You don't have to worry about him being mediocre. But he is being overpaid for the time being to develop. Goran was making chump change at his age for the last couple seasons.

13. MadMax

Stephen A. Smith says it will cost the Knicks $30 million in that 3rd year, and that he's been told directly by the Knicks this morning that they will not match.

Also says that Knicks felt unappreciated because Lin got a big head...sat on the bench because he didn't want to risk missing out on his contract even though NYK were in playoff push.

they go back the anchor and she says: "yeah, why are we hearing about all the criticism from NY for the first time this morning?" :)

he says yao was working back channels.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Damn. Looks like they WILL match then.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Didn't hear the "directly by the Knicks" part, but he definitely sounds very confident they won't match. Said it's what he heard "in the last couple of hours".

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think it's more like this.

[​IMG]

17. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Why am I getting the feeling that all this is fake and is nothing but a smokescreen by Dolan and Co. (aka the National media?) This all sounds too good to be true... Back up your words with actions Knicks organization (meaning do NOT match the offer sheet come Tuesday night!) or GTFO.

:mad:

18. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

He was probably paid by the Knicks organization to read that on the teleprompter. LOL... Stephen A. will do anything for some extra cash in his pocket... I don't buy it! :eek:

19. MadMax

Just rewinded to see if I missed on that...

he says he spoke to numerous sources over the last couple of hours...you're right, i interpreted that wrong.

20. MadMax

i don't understand why it would be fake....for what purpose? there's no negotiation...they either match or they don't.

and i think stephen is likely right..he pushes them into luxury tax territory that makes him a $30 million expense in year 3...i wouldn't match either if i were them.