1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight update: Not close to a trade with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocketblood713

If this rumor was so true they would of at least had the headline on there page saying that Lakers are back in or somthing

2. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

Yeah, but the issue is LA doesn't have an asset to give. It makes no sense because the rockets still have to provide literally every asset in this deal. If they are gonna do that Morey has made it clear he wants Bynum.

3. liveguy

liveguy Member

I cant see a Laker deal going down without the Rox being involved because the lakers have nothing in regard to picks and prospects which is what ORL wants.

Of course the Rox would be going after Bynum or Gasol.

At least it's said Bynum would be willing to sign an extension.

Not a superstar tho. Eh...

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

I call their bluff. Lakers ain't getting nothing unless Orland is willing to trade up for Bynum straight up without any assurances of him resigning.

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I disagree. Orlando has an UNHAPPY Dwight Howard who WANTED OUT YESTERDAY. That means Orlando is in a RUSH to trade him or risk poisoning the Magic Team dynamic.

Dwight is demanding a trade ----------->leverage drops
    The Nets are no longer suitors---------->dropping some more
    No "sexy team" (LA, CHI, NY, MIA) has cap space/assets to trade--->drip drop drip drop
    Houston is not competing against anyone else------------> splash!

And Orlando now has a disgruntled dwight. So, if you are Orlando's GM and you have to give up on your best player with mediocre support cast, what do you do?

You rebuild! How to best rebuild? Picks and young players and cap relief.

Houston offers that best opportunity. Unless Orlando wants to retool but there the problem is noone wants to take back their FOUR crappy contracts.

6. valorita

valorita Member

this is getting ridiculous.

why would magic want to get less assets in a three way as you've proposed?
    if we are paying less for bynum than dwight, the assets we are giving to orlando is less.
    also cap wise, dwight's 20, pau's 20, kobe's 25 + nash 10 = roughly 75 million for just 4 players. someone has to take pau.

not saying that we want pau.
    i'm just trying to help people understand that we are not going to be the third team that help facilitate a lakers/orl trade because we are direct competitors and actually have some resemblence of an upper hand in this scenario.

7. jacoby

jacoby Member

There's no point in going after Bynum if we have no shot at competing against a 68 win Laker team.

"Oh, but they'll only dominate the West for 3 years."

Well, these days, superstars want to play with superstars. Howard will still be a superstar then. Combine that with Los Angeles, and you have younger stars demanding trades and signing with the Lakers to win a title with Dwight Howard. There's no winning if Howard is a Laker.

8. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Report looks bogus, but this is what I'm talking about.

Try to play chicken with them and you could get burned. The Magic could eventually go full-"special" and start considering really dumb offers.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

sigh

I agree that in general, Houston has a better offer for Dwight straight up for a rebuilding Magic than LA. This scenario (below) only supposes that The Orlando GM is bending over backwards to send Dwight to the Lakers.

1)If rebuilding is the goal, Dwight for Bynum doesn't make a lot of sense because its a 1 year (possible) rental, and the mediocre support cast is on the books another 2 + years, delaying a rebuild--plus your draft picks will be in the middle--not ideal.

2) If sending Dwight to LA is done to either appease Dwight (I still don't get why they would care) or up the ante b/c Dwight signs a long-term deal, then I agree that the price might go up, but then for LA. This is where it gets enormously complicated. LA would HAVE to get rid of some of its big contracts (like a Gasol) BUT, LA would have to take on some bad contracts as well because ORL cannot have Bynum + Gasol+ 4 crappy players on big contracts.

Otherwise, Orlando is really getting the short-end of the stick and they would much rather deal with Houston (hence Houston has leverage and DOESN'T have to sell the farm).

The only way that happens is if a third team is willing to take on Orlando's bad contracts but without Dwight OR Bynum going back, why help faciliate this deal? You wouldn't. THEREFORE.......

3) A three team deal is necessary. And the only way a third team helps facilitate Dwight to LA is if BYNUM is coming back to that team. In in this scenario, including Houston makes sense because we can give picks and assets that Orlando wants. In addition, LA could send over a Gasol, future pick, and some of their young players (they have some that aren't making max contracts!!). What it boils down to is Houston offers less, Lakers may or may not contribute beyond Bynum, and Orlando has to accept it.

OR..........Orlando trades with Houston which gets back to why Houston has all the leverage and doesn't have to sell the farm!

Its a f**cking tautology but there you have it.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Giving up the farm for Howard =

[​IMG]

11. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really feel like Houston and Orlando pretty much have something wrapped up and are just waiting for the RFA process to finish up. As long as we don't give up too much, then it is all good.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

That's how we all felt about Dragic :(

14. JD88

JD88 Member

David Aldridge was just on NBA TV:

Nothing imminent but it could change any minute. Rockets are saying they've cleared as much room as they can and are basically telling Orlando that they have their offer out there ORL should go see if they can beat it. If not they will come back and deal with HOU. Aldridge says the ROX have "exactly" what ORL wants.

15. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

So Morey really is playing hardball then. Good I think, but I would still be afraid of Henny doing something stupid and pulling the trigger on the LA deal or the Hawks coming out of nowhere with a nice package of players/picks.

16. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

I understand the confidence in the fact that we have this perceived leverage and a package that the Magic want, but many are ruling out the fact that the Magic could just blow the top off of this whole thing by doing something incredibly stupid. Let's not give the Magic TOO much credit for being, "smart," and eventually making the logical decision.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you were going to copy my post you could at least give me credit. :p

18. opticon

opticon Member

Morey put the whole league on notice we he amnestied Scola. The teams who are really still in the hunt are going to put out there best offers soon. Scola had value as a player and was on a good contract for his level of production.

Getting rid of him in the way they did shows they are ready to act now and that these negotiations have moved out of the idle talk phase.

Morey just told ever gm in the league, "Come at me BRAH!".

19. ejarts

ejarts Member

I find it hard to believe that David Aldridge is saying something positive about the Rockets.

20. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Believe it, lol. I saw the segment they're talking about last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.