1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Post: Knicks unhappy with Rockets, Lin Offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

This is why it's a bad plan to just sit back and say "oh, we'll match any offer." Sometimes it works out, like it did for Morey with Landry and Lowry, but sometimes this happens. No one to blame but yourself, NY.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dolan owns Newsday. NY Post and NY Daily News are rival tabloids.

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Bara pa pa pa I'm luvin' it

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We could have had a great pick if not for Linsanity. And it's not the Knicks' fault we sort of squandered some of the assets later. In other words, the Knicks lost more than we gained in the deal.

I am not trying to bash Morey. But these whole getting assets for chump change maneuvers aren't as exciting as I once thought. Some assets lose value over time (Martin; also a part of the TMac deal, BTW) or they become too expensive to keep (Dragic). At the end, the "profit" is only marginal.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Why would you want to "stick it to" a recent trading partner? The Camby deal was a "win" for the Rockets. Apparently, Morey must really want Lin which is more of a business decision than a basketball decision.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dragic has not officially signed with PHX yet. Daryl still has time to up his offer.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Different circumstances though. Lin and the Rockets just re-negotiated the terms they already had agreed to.

Dragic has already agreed to terms with the Suns. If he now backs out and goes to another team that's a bad look on his and his agent's part.

8. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It's not a bad plan and in fact it is what not teams are doing. It is truely the only way to let players/agent see what their true value is. That is a good strategy if you think the players true value is something that you would match or if you can't reach a deal without feeling like our are over paying.

Houston let Lowry and Landry hit the market and they found that their true value was less than they were making. Indy and NO found out that Hibbert and Gordon were vlued as Max guys but they matched.

Its a good strategy as long as you re willing to live with the results. The issue here is that NY didn't plan for the new rules changes regarding Arenas free agents.

10. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

THIS.

11. Carl Herrera

Probably, but Boozer did it to Clevelans and still lived to get another big contract.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i dont get it

why does it matter if ny don't like the offer?

Isn't that sort of the point?

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

How ****ed are we though if NY just matches

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Other way around, it would be a good thing. No Stern to save the Rockets this time, it's up to Dolan.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I haven't had internet for a week. I heard sessions signed with Bobcats. What are the Rockets' backup plan for Pg's if NY goes full r****d and matches.

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Wow. The entitlement on that Knicks site is extraordinary. While we're exploiting a loophole here, it certainly doesn't give me even the slightest feeling of guilt. NY's fan attitude is worse than this board... "What does it matter to the fans. Dolan just has to pay."

By signing that offer sheet, Lin is sending a message. He wants Houston, not NY. That is nice for a change.

17. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Not very. It's just a million more a season than before for us, and no longer has the team option for the 4th year. We're not the ones being hit with 15 million more in luxury taxes in 2014.

18. wobwobwobwob

wobwobwobwob Member

if we do get D12 trade him over to L.A. get Bynum ,who wants to play in Houston, and P&R all day with Lin!

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course they are unhappy. We've been jacked around before ourselves, and by no less a personage than Mad Dog Stern, among others. The NBA is a competition that isn't simply between the players and coaches. It's GM's going head to head, conniving agents pulling strings behind the scenes, often leaving players wondering if they are representing them, a team, or themselves. "Show me the money!" Well, that's where it's at. Franchises like New York often have a sense of entitlement, in my opinion. Their fans certainly do. They don't like getting slammed by another franchise they deem unworthy. "How dare they? Don't they know their place in the NBA pantheon?" And more to the point, "Good lord, look what that b*stard Morey is going to cost us if we match Lin's contract!"

Tough. Match or don't match. If you want to put the Knicks even further into luxury tax hell, match. If the pain is too great to bear, then say adios. Don't whine and whimper like a puppy left outside in the rain. You're a franchise with a great history, representing one of the world's premier cities. Either cut bait, or go home, as my Grandpa in East Texas said from time to time.

20. Carl Herrera

NYK is mad, I think, because they made other moves in reliance of the expected ability to retain Lin at the earlier reported price: they signed J.Kidd to be a backup/mentor type rather than a younger new starter, they used their S&T assets on Camby rather than a starting PG, they brought back Novak and JR Smith, etc.

Well, Daryl has no duty to make NYK's life easy.