1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets consider amnestying Scola, as talks with the Magic grow "serious"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 11, 2012.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'm worried that we'll be eager for him to leave.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I dont agree that we're a 4 seed in the west with Howard and a gutted team. But even if I did think we were good enough to be the 4 seed in the west, I could still name 10 other teams that would be better: NYC, brooklyn, Miami, OKC, Boston, LA, San Antonio, Chicago, Denver, and Minny.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You have no vision. If Dwight leaves next year, he can't sign with Brooklyn and he'll need a s/t to get max dollars. We could flip him to LA for Bynum. Next years draft class is weak, it's the perfect time to give up picks. Also, those bad contracts from orl seem to be team options for their last years. That means we only need to carry them for one season before they become expiring contracts, aka assets. Point is, losing Dwight after one year won't be that bad.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Seriously, put away the crack pipe.

5. novpj

novpj New Member

So our best case scenario, if he leaves, is to get Bynum and be stuck with the bad contracts; why wont we go for Bynum right now and have LA pick up the bad contracts.

6. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well if you take away all the EASTERN Conference teams you listed the Rockets would be in the top 4-5 in the West.

:p

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He'll need a sign and stay for max dollars.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This needs to be addressed. The Rockets can't trade their own pick in this deal as they owe a pick to Atlanta that is conferred when we make the playoffs. Therefore, if for some reason we end up in the lottery again, yes we will have our own pick still. The picks we would lose would be the TOR pick and the DAL pick.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Lakers don't want the bad contracts either lol.

The only real concern I have about Dwight is that he'd leave for Dallas.

10. Garner

Garner Member

If the Bulls do not match Asik, does it then make more sense to amnesty Scola to bring back someone like Jason Richardson?

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I understand your frustration/concerns. Let me propose an alternative:

1. Wait and see if a Howard or Bynum trade to Houston even happens.

2. Review the actual terms of the deal that gets executed.

3. Make a decision as to if it's a good or bad deal.

4. Depending on how you feel about the actual trade, then celebrate or complain as you feel is appropriate.

Nobody knows if we will pull off a deal or not. If we do make a deal then nobody knows the specifics of the deal. Without knowing exactly what we would give up and what we would get back then it's impossible/pointless to try and evaluate a specific deal.

Just a couple of weeks ago people here were ranting about the fact that we drafted forwards and didn't have a center. Gloom and doom was prophecised as if the Rockets truely intended to go into the season as they were at that point in time. Well, now there's a chance that we will have a top two center rather than no center.

Lets not assume that we are going to trade all of our better players and all of our draft picks for what we know is a guarentee of only one season of Dwight Howard and leave ourselves completely capped out. Does anyone really believe that the Rockets think that scenario is good? Does anyone really believe that the Rockets don't see the dangers in any deal?

I have no idea what it will take to get Howard or Bynum. What I do know is that the Rockets won't be unprepared or without a plan. The other thing that I know is that no matter what happens there will be people here that complain, that's just a fact of life. Many of the same people who complained after the draft that were doomed to mediocrity are now the same people saying that we should just stick with our young players.

Complaining is fine, I just wish we could minimize the complaining about fictional trade details that have very little chance of happening.

Aruba...I'm just venting...all of that wasn't directed solely at your post.

1 person likes this.
  12. Garner

Garner Member

If nothing else, Morey has proved himself highly capable of cap management.

I have a hard time believing that Morey would put us in a situation with bad contracts and no picks in our pocket.

Just wait and see

13. shady1

shady1 Contributing Member

LOL owned. :eek:

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

No one is infallible. Morey is simply a heck of a lot better GM than the ones pretending to be one on here. Let's wait until he actually pees on someone before complaining about it.

15. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lol if the rockets trade for a 1 year rental

just lol

lol

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You've repeatedly mentioned "all of our lottery picks"...what picks are those? Far as I know, we have a potential/likey lottery pick from Toronto. What other lottery picks do we have?

You paint a picture of a) we give up all of our young prospects, b) we trade away our lottery picks, c) we will take on several bad contracts and d) Howard is guarenteed to walk after the season. If all of those things were true then you are correct that it would be a bad thing. More likely is that all of the conditions that you are describing don't happen.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I hate all this Howard nonsense. I'll cheer for him if he's here (and signs an extension) but I hate the thought of cutting Luis, a guy who wants to be here, and our most consistent player over the past few years, for an over sized drama queen (as good as he may be).

Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

18. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

For the love of God people, if Dwight lands here, he WILL sign extension. 30 mil is too much for ANYONE to walk away from.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

fair enough. and for the record, i wasn't one of the complainers on draft night. ;)

with regard to my post, i agree that i do not know what will happen. I guess i was just expressing my concerns that i'm not sure the road less traveled, so-to-speak, isn't the right one vs. dwightmare sweepstakes. much respect 99er!

20. what

what Member

Talks on Wednesday grew “serious,” and at one point seemed close to an agreement, according to a person familiar with the process, but the Magic backed off to consider their options.

Yo Rockets. You trade for me????
    [​IMG]

Double Yao:
    [​IMG]