1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unconfirmed Rumor......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseCat, Sep 12, 2000.

1. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

Hey guys, normally I wouldn't do this (so don't bash me too hard)but I have rumor tidbit about Chris Webber and the Rox. I just got back from Stockton, CA on business with Lipton Food, Inc. Well, after our presentation, I was shooting the **** with this exec and we got on the subject of basketball. He is an avid Kings fan (of course I had to tell him that I was a die hard Rox fan)and I started pseudo-joking with him that we were going to steal C-Webb from Sac-Town. Well, his smile melted and then he told me something that I could not believe.

This guy deals with marketing/public relations agency out of Sacramento (no, I didn't get the name)that does p.r for Arco Arena. Well, as it goes, he had gotten some insider tidbit that Webb has been hearing the love that he would get if he came to Houston. This is what supposedly came from Chris Webber's own mouth:

"If I'm found guily of this reckless drive bullsh!t (trial set for Sept. 25, 2000), if we (Kings) finish below .500 or Houston can make it to the second round then I'm out.... Yeah, I would consider Houston, hell they got cap. The love they gave Pip when he first came to Houston, **** they'll throw me a parade if I signed with them."

Anyway, that is what was told to me by a complete stranger that would not have any reason to lie to me, but I can not confirm this insider information. Take it for what it is worth. All I know that I would really like to see him in our ugly, pin-stripped pajamas next year.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you guy/gals as much detail as possible. Keep in mind, that I neither believe nor dis-believe this, but I do hope it is true.

------------------

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

If this is true, it's great news. I wouldn't get too excited. Most probably it's just heresey in Sacto area. However, there is a decent chance that either the Rox will go to second round because of matchup problems with three-guard rotation, Kings finish sub-.500, or he'll be found guilty of reckless driving.

All I know is that if C. Webb wants to come to Houston, I say we do everything short of trading Francis to get him. In other words, bye, bye Mo Taylor....Anyways, what am I thinking, Mo hasn't even played his first Rockets game yet. It's fun to think of this lineup though...

Cato
    Webber
    T. Morris
    Anderson/Mobley
    Francis

WOW!

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The part about Houston may be complete BS, but I know that he's pretty fed up with Sac. Other than Divac (who is an aging, finesse center) the Kings have surrounded CWebb with below-average starters at every position (White Chocolate, Christie, and Nick the Brick scare noone). And I don't know that their bench is enough to make up for their other inadequacies. With Webb, they win 40 to 45 games this year. Without him, they'd be lucky to win 20.

------------------

4. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

[/B][/QUOTE]
    This news has really enlightened my mood.
    Anyway, I think Chris is just trying to see the response from the Rockets.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

Jason Williams' 5 game suspension to start the season might very well cost the Kings a playoff spot considering how tight the West is.

I guess we should all hope that J-Dubya gets into even more trouble. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited September 12, 2000).]

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

That is actually bad news that jason is suspended. Now it means less turnovers, less scrappy play. The kings will start the year off 5-0.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

No matter what anyone says about Williams, Webber likes playing with him. He feeds him on offense.
    Also if Webber does leave it will be to Detroit. That is where he was at today when Jim Rome talked to him.

------------------

9. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>> 4Chuckie <<

Didn't Webb say that he would not play in Detroit, that it was pretty much out of the question? Besides playing in the "soft" eastern league, what can Detroit offer him. I've heard of an old saying...."that you can't go home again". C-Webb doesn't want the pressure of playing in front of family and friends, besides, he can save a ton of money by coming to Texas....no state taxas.

Webber will be in Houston for the 2001-2002 season.....so it is believed, so it is said, so shall it be! [​IMG]

------------------

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Heck, if he gets a Reckless driving in SLEEPY Sacremento, he could upgrade to full on DUI in Houston.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

11. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>> DaDakota <<

[​IMG]

Knee slapper!!

------------------

12. Bballplayinplaya

Heres the deal.... i gurantee webber is not signing here next summer. If he does i will mail every last soul on this board $100. You want more? I wils turn my signature into "im an *******"(fitting isnt it?) More? Hell ill do what ever you want me to do. i Promise you he won't sign here. I will not post on webber signing rumors any longer ....... i have spoke my opinion

------------------
    Bow down to GOD FRANCIS!

"If they offered me (a lifetime contract) tomorrow, I'd take it."

-- Steve Francis on if the Rockets offered him a lifetime deal. He has now been elevated to "God" status.

13. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>> Bballplayinplaya <<

First, you are a Stevie Wonder fan....Pluses to you. You know a fantastic superstar player when you see one and you post on the Rox forum, so you must be a fan. But I am confused as to why you think Webb will not come to H-Town. Can you explain this to me?

------------------

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

And your source is.....? Somehow I doubt that YOU know more than people who have heard what has come right out of Webber's own mouth.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Mind hooking us up with some elaboration?

Interesting stuff FC, although I still think Webber to Houston next summer is a long shot.

------------------

16. Darryn

Darryn Member

Uh-oh, you posted a rumor about another team's player coming to Houston. The Kings fans will be here in mass by tomorrow [​IMG]

------------------

17. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Bring em on!!!

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Rockets are like Pamela Anderson Even if we're small we still look good . I dont know if CWebb would come to Houston , I would see him joing Detriot , If we had to trade Maurice Taylor for Webber that would be automatic in my book . OH CRAP NOT ANOTHER 350 POST THREAD , PLEASE DIE !

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Maybe so....the rumor has already spread.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cold Hard (edited September 12, 2000).]

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

I really know i´m going to be in the minority here, but i think you guys are looking pretty bad drooling all over Webber without even seeing Mo play yet.

Just doesn´t seem fitting for a board who was full of criticism of Mo´s character to behave like this and sound so eager to dump Mo for Webber if he wants to come here.

Not that there´s really something wrong with that.

It just puzzles me how people expect loyalty but show none when it doesn´t fit their plans.

Something to think about. I would definitly honor the wink-wink deal that has brought Mo here if he performs according to the expectations of Rudy and CD.

I really dislike posts like "i would trade anyone short of Francis for Webber". Fortunately, the Rockets front office does not second such thoughts, as Hakeem´s being able to finish his carrer here on a high note is a clear demonstration of honor on their part.

Shame that some fans don´t think like that.

Of course, if Mo doesn´t deliver i say ship the bum outta town and do everything within our reach to grab Webber, but UNTIL then, give Mo the benefit of the doubt.

I NEVER want to see the Rockets doing the careless dumping of players that the Blazers do every postseason.

This kind of talk really looks bad, IMHO.

------------------
    "The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It´s Heaven and Hell!"