1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you really be unhappy if the Rockets strike out in FA and go with youngsters?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 5, 2012.

1. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Dont forget jones either.jones and white can both play the three and four.i think you can have all three rookies on the court at the same time.They r very versetile.I loved our draft but Jones and white where my favorite picks.

2. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

Wouldn't bother me at all. Worst thing that could happen is we get a high draft pick.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I am very unhappy they let Goran go but putting that aside, I'd be happy if they did clean house and go all young. To better define that:

Trade Martin, Scola and Patterson (too soft and too many other PFs I'd rather see play) for a young, backup C or SG or picks.

Asik (assuming Bulls don't match), Smith
    Monty, Leuer, White, Jones
    Parsons, Morris
    Lamb, the best FA SG that no one else wants (sad face)
    Lowry, Machado

That's got the smell of burning diesel fuel in a good tank but one I'd like to see run.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Fortunately or unfortunately, the asset stew is still marinating. The highest value for our veterans won't be reached until the trade deadline when injuries, playoff pushes and cap maneuvering make them more compelling.

I posted about the 'Jimmy Johnson" theory of NFL drafting: " get all the good players you can, throw them in against each other, and let the cream rise to the top". Rabid competition for playing time can be a great for the overall quality of a team. Who knows which of these kids, and I'm including the rookies, second year guys and the Milwaukee tradees will grow in to stars. If you only have one or two guys they can be complacent, and, when they bust you don't have replacements.

I still want Howard, I wanted Goran, I would enjoy having Lin, but with the 'assets' plan we at least always have a fallback position and an interesting team dynamic to watch. It's the entertainment value that's important to me. And you always have that if there is hope for the future, You don't have that when you are stuck on the mediocrity hamster wheel.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

That's not going all young.

Trade Lowry and Scola to the Blazers for draft rights to Lillard and all their expiring (garbage) contracts. The salaries work out.

Martin is retained because he's an expiring contract. If another team has cap space, a TE, or an expiring contract of their own. Then deal him for a pick.

Use the year to bring along the young players. A high lottery pick isn't the aim, just the result. It's not tanking, it's developing talent.

Fast forward to 2013 free agency. Either keep the course in rebuilding or cash in with CP3 and Dwight.

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Scola and McGrady weren't free agents in the summer of 09. Ah, revisionist history.

7. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I would like this: Trade Martin, Scola, Patterson and Morris for a young, backup C or SG and picks.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i would be very happy. Losing Dragic hurts, but overall, going into the season with a eye towards developing our young talent makes me happy.

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Unless we get DH, there's no chance to contend in the next 5 years given how good heat/thunders are. In that sense, fair market value contracts to Lee/Dragic are meaningless in the long term. Morey mentioned that the best contracts in the NBA are those for capable rookies and those max ones for superstars. I still remember when Scola was getting 40 points and 20-20's right before his next big contract. Looking back the best thing might just be letting him go or snt to get some picks.

Most fans are stunned when we first traded for Lowry/Dragic and picked AB. All of them outperformed our expectations. Even though we let Lin go because of capspace issues, Morey actually is one of few GM's who signed him in the first place(it's better than those dumb GM's who don't know much about lin now and then). History has proved Morey has the uncanny ability to get young undervalued PG's beating expectations later. And the decisions to trade away Alston, AB are also good ones in hindsight but unpopular then. I'll stand by him this time given his track record.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Completely fine with it...but I want Scola and Martin off the roster if that's the case.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, but I will be pissed that we decided to tank a year too late and that the "asset collector" let young assets get away without getting anything back.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Rebuilding would be awful, long and painful. The fans will leave in droves. If we rebuild, that means Morey has failed. It's not like it's his first season.

13. Nook

Nook Member

A couple of points.....

The fact that Asik and Lin have offers that are back loaded will NOT effect Houston in 2-3 years like it will NY or CHI because the contracts are prorated at 8.5 and 7.5 million respectively.

I expect Lin's deal will be matched, and I believe Morey knows that as well. Also, he is only 23 years old, so I do not think that he deviates from the rebuilding program.

Asik is a young player as well, and really the Rockets traded one year of Dalembert for 3 years of Asik.

I like Scola, but I hope he is dealt to open up playing time at the power forward position and to allow further rebuilding.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm almost at the point where I want:
    Bulls to match Asik
    Knicks to match Lin
    Morey to get fired

And I'm not excited about the youngsters. I'd be shocked if there's a franchise guy inside that pile of smurfs.

Sometimes you just need to call it and move on.

This isn't any better...and Morey HAS failed. Repeatedly.

1 person likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Fans have already left in droves.

#2 Morey has wanted to rebuild for 2.5 years but has not been allowed to do so.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So what's the strategy -- suck so bad that we fall into a top 3 lottery pick and hope it doesn't turn out to be another Thabeet? Is that the only way we'll get a star player here?

17. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Can we fire Les too? :)

18. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

That's what the Rockets SHOULD be doing. Go with the young players and build the freaking team the RIGHT way.

19. Raven

Raven Member

If the goal is to tank, Luis and K-Mart must be off the roster before training camp, but now we're hearing noise about Kevin's contract being more valuable at the deadline. It never ends! What a gloriously F up franchise the Rockets have become.

20. smr6

smr6 Member

Give me Nerlens Noel or Shabazz Muhammed next year and I will consider this offseason a success.

Unfortunately I don't think we will be bad enough to get either.