1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The unique nature of the Rockets package to Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

And Brooks/Horford will not be good enough to get you past the first round (at best), nor get you a second star to join. And teens pick is about all you can expect.

Bynum can probably be a franchise cornerstone, but before Orlando can get out of their other bad contracts, Bynum may want to jump ship and potentially leave Orlando with another Dwight Howard problem, and it is doubtful Orlando can get a better package out of Bynum than Howard.

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Dwight is coming to Houston. We should all get used to it.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

dont want D12 - dont need a year of diva drama...

that said, we dont have a center we can throw in (cept maybe s/t camby...) If we still had Sams unique contract - or took Melo at 18... i gotta believe it would b a better overall package... Unlike DM, I dont think other gms look at stockpiling 'value' - but rather the team theyre gonna put on the floor... imo

4. JLO

JLO Member

Anybody but Turk!

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Non-stars = non-future

Not a single person on our roster is or will be a franchise player. Chances are slim that we'd see more than one or two all-star reserve appearances out of all of them together.

There's really nothing to freak out about holding on to.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yep, Lopez is such a big loser that he is still better than any big the Rockets can muster up.

That's kind of why Orlando is dragging their feet with any deals for Dwight. Nothing jumps off the table, except a deal for Bynum. The Rockets have nice young pieces, but it's only potential at this point. They haven't produced anything, yet. Another drawback, none of them are solid big men/centers or even what you would call a star.

If Orlando got a team, like OKC or New York involved, they'd be more apt to deal Howard quickly.

Most of the deals with New Jersey, Houston, Atlanta, and Golden State are downright laughable considering Dwight Howard is on the table.

7. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

The way I see it...

Houston has the best offer on the table. I do not at all doubt this. In terms of what the Magic want, Morey is able to check off every request.

The new GM is not stupid. He knows Houston has the best offer but he is also trying to do his job and get the most he can out of us. Nets trade rumor? Leaked in order to put pressure on Houston to include additional picks.

I don't believe the new GM has any interest in getting Hortford, Brooks, or Bynum. These guys are 'good' but have bloated contracts. Does he believe either could lead a playoff team and/or attract free agents? His experience with Thunder, has proven to him that a successful team is built through the draft and cap flexibility. Getting either Bynum, Hortfod, or Brooks would place them in the middle of the pack for years. In addition, these huge contracts would limit their ability to build around said players.

If I'm the Magic's GM, I have 2 primary goals: Get future 1st rounders and youth on small contracts.

I think the hold up between Magic and Houston rests on future 1st rounders and issues with protections being placed by Morey in addition to absorbing Hedo's contract.

1 person likes this.
  8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's why Orlando is dragging their feet, if it were a package of say "Ibaka and Westbrook or Harden (not both)" or "Marc Gasol and Rudy Gay."
    The catch-22 is Dwight Howard, he's not signing an extension with those teams.

9. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Maybe not 10 years, but if we took on Orlando's bad contracts (which wouldn't leave after a year's rental), gave up our youth and future draft picks, it could take awhile to start rebuilding. Plus even with Olando's trash and whatever we retained, we still wouldn't be much worse than we are now. So our picks wouldn't be much better and we'd have even less to trade up with. At least until all of the bad contracts expire.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You just never know about situations like this. Either way, it doesn't end well for the Rockets when Howard leaves.
    I like Howard just as much as the next fan, but i love my team more.

11. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Even teams with horrible contracts can be lottery teams :grin:

I don't care about bad contracts. The issue is with our future 1sts. I'm okay with giving them up WITH protections. Protections would potentially offset some of the risk of losing Howard, e.g we can give up our 2014 1st pick with a Top 3 protection.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As much as i hate it, you maybe right.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'll never put up with his drama if he does indeed come, so he better come with a new attitude.

...but he's not coming. sorry.

14. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

He's not coming. Especially with the Lakers/Bynum in the mix.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Deals laughable because other than New Jersey, it's a rental risk. If Dwight will commit to whichever team that trades for him, you'll get a different list of offers for sure

16. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

I love how some of you insist on justifying the Rockets' chances of getting Dwight Howard, somehow...someway.

It's not going to materialize.

17. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

It’s a matter of opinion, but I think a team of Turkgolu, Scola, Matin, Lowry(?), Duhon and Richardson will likely need more than top 3 protection. Considering some of the teams in East, we might require protection up to the first 8-12 spots. Yeah this team would be even harder to watch, but it wouldn't be the worst team out there. And who knows what protections we'd have to end up giving.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

To those who feel like the Rockets are mortgaging the future with this trade. Keep in mind that the Rockets have an excess of young players with potential. Orlando does not. The Rockets may have to choose between Patterson, DMo, White, and Terrence Jones for PT, but trade White and DMo to Orlando, and suddenly both teams can play these youngsters.

Also, Morey has shown the ability to get good-to-great players from almost nothing. So we should be able to re-stock on surrounding players of Howard. But Morey cannot get a Dwight Howard from the draft or FA. So he has to overpay for one, even a disgruntled one who may leave after the season.

2 people like this.
  19. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's better than the odds that the Rockets or any other team giving Knicks something of value for Amare.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Good post.