1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Dragic Far Apart, Return Unlikely?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

Goran has already on his peak, and he is no much better than Lowry. While he could not keep us even win single clutch game at the end of the season, we have no reason to give him a contract more than what Lowry got.

2. David Stern

David Stern Member

You’re right but it sets a bad tone for the negotiations. Plus Gogi said he was willing to accept an offer from Houston even if it were not the highest bid (I believe he said $1M less). But being lowball by maury might cause him to rethink this sentiment.

At the end of the day your right. If no other teams offer more than $7M/year than he’s not worth more.

So the teams that can make a play for him…

1. Phoenix – Rebuilding but they have a history
    2. Toronto – Gogi is a Euro so he’s the type of player that Toronto seeks in FA. They are more accepting of the Canadian lifestyle than American born players.
    3. Dallas – A lot of cap space and they lost out on DWill…. They could be our biggest competitor for Gogi.

3. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

Keep your eyes open, Rockets fans. Dragic gave us only flash on the rim. He is not a guy to save us in the future. With this ridiculous 10M request, let him go.

He is no Rando...

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Jeremy lin time?

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i heard he's getting $5 mil per. Makes Dragic's $10 mil request sound unreasonable.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dragic also plays defense.

DD

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

now Hoopsworld is putting a positive spin on it. Great journalism:

Unrestricted free agent Goran Dragic and the Rockets are "far apart" on a new contract, sources tell Hoopsworld.
    Dragic is looking for a contract that starts at around $10 million per season, but the Rockets are only reportedly offering around $8 million annually. It doesn't sound like there's a major gap in negotiations and the two sides should be able to come to an agreement if each bends slightly in their request. Source: Hoopsworld Jul 3 - 9:54 AM

8. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

I just saw this...okay, so let's so that both parties "give-in" somewhat. Would you pay $8.5-9 million a year for this guy? That's a pretty penny to pay for a guy that averaged around 18 & 8 over 2 dozen starts or so, wouldn't y'all say?

1 person likes this.
  9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Lin sells tickets. Media would love lin and Parsons.

10. southernconfort

Not sure if this question has been asked, but if we lose out on Dragic, does that open the door for Lull to come over

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

les would be thrilled. his asian tie will continue to grow.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

isn't that a light chicken gravy?

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I prefer Dragic over Lowry, but there is no reason for the Rockets to overpay him. A rebuilding team should not being overpaying anyone until thier core is set.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know how far the sides are apart, but there are tools available in the CBA for the Rockets to bridge the gap so that they can offer him close to what an outside $10M starting salary offer would total, but with a salary structure more friendly to the team.

Specifically:

1. They can offer a 5th year, perhaps as a player option, so that even if the per-year average salary paid to Dragic is less, the total guaranteed $ could be more.

2. Their salary offer can contain up to 7.5% INCREASE OR DECREASE per year. You can either use it to lower Dragic's cap hit for this year or, perhaps to have a steeply descending salary structure so that the contract gets more friendly with each passing year.

1 person likes this.
  15. Toothless_Texan

i wouldn't be surprised if that is how it went

16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so if we lose dragic, we still got a disgruntled but a decent starting PG in lowry.... at least lowry dont gotta worry about losing his starting spot anymore and hopefully he and mchale will have the rest of summer to hash things out....

i guess that's the bright side.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

At some point don't you have to identify guys that you want for your core?

To me, Dragic is one of them, along with Parsons.

DD

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i think it all depends on what type of conerstone we will get. if we get a player of melo, dwaye, or lebron type, dragic may not be a good part of core. those players needs ball to be effective. dragic role will be dimished. he won't be effective as what he showed in last season. if we get a great center good at both ends, dragic may work. if we get a elite pg in future to build around, dragic will definitely be overpaid if we give what he wants.

all in all, the current rox is not in the position to worry about if dragic is a part of core or not since we don't have a foundation. we don't know what type of players we need to build around our foundation.

as morey said, we just pile up our assets for future consideration, whether trade or be part of the core. if overpay, it will deminish the value of asset.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

8 mil is the highest i will give to him. dragic is good but he hasn't showed he can make other players around him better. as i mentioned in my other post, it is not worth to pay that much to a player no one knows what rox is going to do with him after we eventually get a player of foundation type, such as getting an elite pg. it means he either be traded or be our backup pg. you don't want to pay over 10 mil for a backup pg. trade will also be tough unless other teams think he is worth that much money.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Will the Suns pay him more than $8M? If they will , then he will be in the Sun next year.