1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon to meet with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 1, 2012.

1. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I think potentially Gordon is going to be this year's Nene.

If Howard gets traded here, Rockets will pair him with Gordan and resign Dragic.

If Howard doesn't come here, Morey won't go near Gordan.

2. JLO

JLO Member

So Mark Stein just tweeted that Gordon is visiting Toyota Center today. I wonder what happened with Indiana?

3. JLO

JLO Member

Also, I get the feeling that Dragic won't be resigned if we can get Gordon.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If he had point skills I would say go for it but he is just a mini shooting guard and you can find one of those anywhere.

5. SRR21

SRR21 Member

hornets247.com ‏@hornets247
    Have no source on other teams pursuing EG, but Rockets source says Houston is fully aware that Hornets will match any offer, so they will

hornets247.com ‏@hornets247
    attempt S&T if EG is interested in coming to Houston. Hornets have not given Rockets a firm 'No' as of this morning #KeepAllOptionsOpen

6. JLO

JLO Member

What the hell is going on with this??? Now it's being reported this morning that Phoenix offered him a max deal. What are we doing?

7. Numero.Uno

Numero.Uno Member

I hadn't heard this, but a couple of things. First off, just because a team offers doesn't mean EG will accept. Second, maybe he liked Phoenix better than Houston. It is possible Morey and the Rockets screwed up if he signs an offer sheet with Phoenix, but it is also possible that he prefers the Suns.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It is my understanding that the only way we can offer him a max deal is if we renounce the rights to the rest of our free agents, which we're not going to do.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so what Phoenix offered him the max. New Orleans will match and that will be that. It's still up to Houston, or any team for that matter, to convince New Orleans to trade him. That's the only way someone other than the Hornets ends up with Gordon

10. smr6

smr6 Member

It would have to be a max contract if we were going to sign and trade anyway. This really doesn't change Morey's strategy on whatever he is planning at all.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

An injured 6'3 shooting guard who has never completed a full NBA season for the max? NO THANKS. LETS MOVE ON!

12. JLO

JLO Member

Well, everything seems to be working out great. Portland will get Hibbert, Phoenix will get Gordon, Dallas will get Gogi, Brooklyn will get a dream team and Houston will get a Turkish center whose ceiling is averaging 6 points a game. The Rockets are the new Bucks!

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Phoenix will not get Gordon because New Orleans will match. No one will be able to sign Gordon. If he is going to be something other than a Hornet next year, it will be through a sign and trade. But don't let me get in the way of you drinking your piss-filled cheerios this morning.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Exactly.

It may actually work to the Rockets advantage that Eric Gordon is a restricted FA and New Orleans is threatening to match all offers but seems to have at least some interest in a possible S&T.

Specifically, it seems like New Orleans' order of preference might be as follows: A good S&T deal > Keeping Gordon at the Max > a not so good S&T deal > Losing Gordon for nothing.

If Gordon was not restricted, he can go to any team that has cap room to sign him and Houston is basically just competing in a recruitment contest for him. However, because he is restricted, New Orleans has some influence on this matter.

If Gordon prefers Phoenix (or another city) to Houston, but New Orleans doesn't think much of PHX's S&T offer, Gordon is not going to PHX, but returning to New Orleans. Now, if Gordon actually prefers New Orleans to Houston, there's nothing the Rockets can do-- he'd just either sign straight up with New Orleand or have his PHX contract matched by New Orleans. However, if Gordon actually prefers Houston to New Orleans, Houston might be able to snag him from another outside team that he prefers to Houston because of their ability to offer a good package of assets in a S&T.

2. Also, I don't think Houston ever had the intention of actually doing a straight sign-and-dare-NOLA-to-match for Gordon. This most likely require that they burn their amnesty on Martin (or Scola) and risk getting nothing in return (because whatever "cap room" they'd open will only be temporary in case they actually re-sign Dragic). S&T was always the approach to take with Gordon.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He's exactly what we need. He's given the Clippers Blake and the Hornets Davis. Where ever he goes, top picks follow.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

True. LOL. He's TANK JUICE!:grin:

17. JLO

JLO Member

You're definitely right! With the bleak Dragic news this morning i'm just overreacting. Hopefully something happens soon because the Asik signing (potentially) just isn't doing it for me.

18. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Hahaha tank juice. Classic.

19. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I really really want this guy. He's one year older than Morris and has proven to be an elite scorer already. He'll get healthy!!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love Eric Gordon, if we can give them Kmart and Lowry, and one of the young guys that would be an excellent trade all around.

DD