1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROCKETS WILL MAKE PLAYOFFS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samaki, Jan 20, 2000.

1. Samaki

Samaki Member

you heard it here first! even though i am a spurs fan and the rockets are one of our biggests rivals, i am going to stick my neck out and make that prediction. my theory behind this is that the TPups always finish with around a 41-41 record, and you guys are really rolling right now with your young lineup. if you can finish around .500, i think you will make it.

is it me, or is hakeem about to go down with an injury. the rockets really don't need him this season, and with him gone, Cato can get some good experience. and if you don't make the playoffs without hakeem, you will get a good draft pick. it is a no lose situation because even if (or when) you make the playoffs, your not making based the first round.

the funny part is if the rockets were in the east, they would be a top five seed.

Samaki

----------------

visit WitsBlitz.8m.com
    Win Cash Prizes Playing Sports Trivia Online, FREE

I recently made $675 playing WitsBlitz trivia. Sign Up Today

2. DJ

DJ Member

I agree Samaki the Rockets will make the playoffs.

------------------

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Damn Samaki, it would've been better for this bbs if you had come in here with some kind of pro-Spurs, anti-Rockets rhetoric to get us all hot and bothered....man, I'm bored.

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

The TPups, as you call them, won 50 games last year. And no, the Rockets are not a playoff team.

------------------

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Oh cmon grummett, just play along with the visitor [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

6. grummett

Forgive me. [​IMG]

------------------

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

What is this Joe Smith contract snafu going to do to the T-Wolves mental state?

They already lost a player in an auto accident, so they will probably be down mentally.

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Last year was a fluke.

Things great about this year for the Rockets:

The Jazz: They lost a 50% shooter at the 2 guard spot. They replaced him with a 40% shooter (37% last year).

The TWolves: They're about to lose their PF. The TWolves are about to lose their own first round pick next year. The TWolves are about to hurt the feelings of my former hs's local rival's star player KG (I went to Hillcrest he went to Mauldin for his first 3 years). The TWolves lost the player Malik Sealey this summer, second only to Moochie in having a fun name to pronounce.

The Lakers: Shaq has had one year not marred by injury. It was last year.

The Sonics: If only Vin was in Utah. Prozac and a suburban would get him through all of the battles a housewife must endure.

The Spurs: Don't get a back spasm trying to catch up with the Rockets' players, David.

The Kings: Puff the magic dragon lost his backup p.g.. When he's gone the first 5 games, the 'L' is what they'll see.

The Suns: Sure Jason, try to outshoot Steve. That's exactly what the Rockets want you to do.

The Blazers: The Rockets went 2-2 last year against the Blazers. They added Kemp. Cato blocked Kemp 8 times in a preseason game last year.

There's no reason to think that the Rockets will not have alot of fun this year.

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited September 09, 2000).]

9. grummett

All valid points, but I remain unconvinced that the addition of Taylor, Collier, and Langhi will close the 10 game gap to get the Rockets into the playoffs. I'm sticking with my 36-46 prediction and hope to be proven wrong. Also, I view the late season winning streak the same way I view the Astros' current streak. It's easy to play with no pressure. Win when the games mean something, then I'll be impressed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by grummett (edited September 09, 2000).]

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

grummett,

How many games do you think they gave away last season because of inexperience and just outright foolish play?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

11. grummett

Mango-- Not trying to dodge your question, but I don't think that I can quantify that. It's too subjective. Improved chemistry will help, but who knows what kind of attitude Taylor will bring. Will he be gunning for a new contract or will he blend in? You and I have also discussed how many games Hakeem will play. Is Cato up for carrying what I think will be a heavy load with Hakeem's inevitable injury spell? He hasn't proven it to me yet, especially where it's most important, between the ears. Waaay too many question marks for me to jump on the playoff bandwagon.

------------------

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Taylor will blend in. Period.
    He couldn't come out and say, "I'll be here a long time." Look what happened to the Wolves. You have to feign indifference, you have to say, "I'll test the market next year."
    We'll be in the playoffs. 36-46? Naaah. 49 wins, maybe 46.

------------------

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not convinced we're a playoff lock quite yet, but I think we have a pretty fair chance. I think we'll slip into one of the bottom 3 seeds. I don't think we'll be too far from .500 up or down.

------------------
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Samaki,
    Welcome to the best NBA BBS around. I visit others, but have never found anything close to this in fan level of intelligent hoops commentary.

This is a good time to be a Spurs fan. The Spurs, Faker$, and FailBlazers are the class of the West. The Suns added Tony Delk to solidify their position in this quartet. IMHO, any one of these 4 could make it to the NBA Finals in 2001.

The bottom 4 PO spots will be highly competitve. Here's my comments on the 4 others from last season:

JAZZ:
    A year older and Starks is NO Horacek. Mo Taylor struggled against Malone in 2 of 3 Clips games. The Rocks were 1-3, but won the last one as Walt chipped in 21 points and KT grabbed 12 boards. The Rocks don't face the Jazz until Jan 6 and it's a home game. I think a split is realistic this season.

T-WOLVES:
    Tragic loss of Sealy and now possible Joe Smith contract situation may make another 50 win season very difficult. In 3 games with the Clips, KG topped Mo by 3 points, but Taylor held a 3 rebound advantage(!). Rocks dropped all 4 to the Wolves last year and averaged 86.3 ppg and shot 25.3% from the 3pt arc. It's not impossible for the T-Wolves to finish at 6 or even 7. The Rocks splitting the series 2-2.

SONICS:
    Hard to imagine Gary Payton on a lottery team, but the West is sooooo strong. I can't see them bettering their 45 & 37 record unless Baker really produces. Unfortunately, a tough matchup at PF & PG for the Rocks. Another season split.

KINGS:
    8th seed less Delk and Big Nasty. Don't think the loss of these players is compensated for by addition of Bobby Jackson, Jabari Smith and Turkcoglu. CWebb averaged 10 ppg more than Mo in 4 games with the Clips. Rebounding was even! The Kings took the first 3 meetings with the Rocks, all of which took place BEFORE Jan 11th. I'm going with the Rocks 3-1 this year.

RECAP:

Playoff spots 1-4 are a lock: SA, LA, Port, & PHX.

5 & 6 are Jazz & T-Wolves.

7 & 8 is a battle - Sonics, Kings, Mavs, Rocks and Nuggets. All three Texas teams haven't been in the playoffs since 89-90. I say Rocks 7 and Mavs 8 (but it could be reversed).

That means Sonics and Kings in 2001 Lottery.

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited September 10, 2000).]

15. hetero doxy

hetero doxy Member

i honestly think the rockets will "fight" with denver for the worst record in the west and, since the west is tougher than the east, this "fight" will be for baby shaq. i would love to see the rox trade packages of their picks, and their scrubs like jason collier, kelvin cato, and the like, for the lottery pick of the nuggets, thereby increasing their odds on baby shaq.

------------------

16. JCBlazersGirl33

The 7th and 8th seeds are pretty much up for grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys mad the palyoffs with Francis only gettign better. Hey, Portland might meet you guys in the playoffs(if we're the 1 or 2 seed)! It would be an exciting series with all the little subplots going on..

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Rockets have 30.44 million committed to the 2001-02 season according to the NBA player salary site. If, as expected, the cap is raised to 42 million, that would leave the Rockets over 11 million under the cap. The max for a player of Taylor's experience is 9 million, and he won't be able to command that much either. So how is there "no way" he can be resigned? Personally, I feel Taylor will be a great fit chemistry wise with this team. With guys like Steve and Cuttino to guide him through the system, and the best coach in the NBA to motivate him, I hold out a lot of hope. I think the Mavericks may very well win about 45 games. However, I think the Rockets will win about 50, and claim the 7th spot in the West.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited September 10, 2000).]

18. wink3

wink3 Member

Just remember guys(h-doxy, grummett) you better make a definite prediction before the season starts because you won't be able to jump on the bandwagon once the Rocks are off and running. I've been reading all of the offseason reports from ESPN.com and those guys have made it clear that we should be a playoff team, like a wild card ready to surprise everyone.

------------------
    I'm not clumsy, I just have to know my surroundings.

19. hetero doxy

hetero doxy Member

wink3-

I was more specific than almost anyone. 2nd worst record in the west. i'll take my lumps gladly if i'm proven wrong.

------------------

20. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

You're right wink3. Let me be the first to say that the Rockets will be a top 5 team.

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other