1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What other teams are the Dwight Howard buyers now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

is Dallas really better than Houston + $50 million?

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Yeah. Everyone is watching and waiting to see what happens.

I feel kinda bad for Magic fans. They must be sick of all this and I bet some of them are in denial.

Dwight is not an educated individual. He seems gullible enough to believe Houston is the wild west where the cacti reside.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hopefully the stories of him being sensitive to "copying Shaq" are true.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Here is the thing though, losing a player in Free Agency isn't so bad.

It would signify rebuilding completely and the team would be bad enough to just lose games.

So basically, all the reasons people are saying the Rockets should go for Dwight are the same exact reasons that Orlando should keep him.

+Get to offer more money
    +Even if he leaves, you are now bad enough to draft high

What the Nuggets did seems to be more rare.(And now they will be a mediocre team for a while I am betting) The other teams just let their superstars expire...

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No way orlando keeps em, no way dwight wants to stay. There has to be a real bad taste between them, a taste they don't want to spend the rest of his career having. Plus dwight has probably already checked out of orlando in his mind, probably not even an option anymore.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

repost

Broussard:

Not a great chance he'll stay [in Orlando] but better chance than 3 hours ago.

Lakers and Mavs now emerge as front-runners. Dwight always open to Dallas and now have the cap space for max offer. We've always heard about Bynum/Dwight offer. Will Lakers offer Bynum? Buss loves Bynum. That's been his project since he's drafted him. He may not want to give him up. Lakers or Mavs to keep an eye on.

7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

how would you do that? They have too many bad contracts that no one wants. With both Richardsons, Turkoglu and Duhon you have some pretty worthless contracts you'd have to pay someone to take. The only valuable players they have are Redick and Anderson, and to a lesser extent Jameer Nelson but its not like you can sign and trade them to get back anything better. Best case they can resign those guys, and MAYBE package their bad contracts and trade for an even worse contract but hope its a more productive player.

If I were Orlando GM I'd trade Howard away and get as many prospects and picks as possible. They could tank for 2-4 years and by that time their bad contracts will be off the books and they'll have money to extend any of the prospects that have panned out from the trade and/or picks in the ensuing years. I would also sign and trade Nelson, Redick, and Anderson for more picks or players on rookie salaries. No need to keep them around only to lose.

So I guess I would trade with the Rockets. This is assuming the owner is okay with a rather large payroll while tanking. Option 2 would be to go for Bynum, but then I would try and get a third team involved to take on some of the bad contracts. Bynum is older so you'd probably not be willing to wait as long to win, so you'd want to clear cap space to sign other players. Doesn't sound very likely though.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This would not surprise anyone.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...while this certainly helped the situation for Houston, if Houston's offer was so overwhelming, Orlando would have already done it. I think Orlando is going to spend at a few weeks(possibly more) sitting on it to see if Howard changes his tune now that Brooklyn is out or if someone scoops in with a better offer.

I don't think Dallas has what it takes to make a deal happen as presently constructed but I can see them calling every team in the league to try to make something happen on the side that would facilitate a better deal. They would really have to make something out of nothing but it's possible I suppose. By the same token, I can see LA making a push too. Basically it's up to Dallas & LA to try to match and Orlando is going to give them a while if they have to in order to make that happen.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Houston has a chance at this still? Man I'm getting tired of waiting on someone who doesn't want to be here.

11. copacetic81

copacetic81 Member

I trust Morey not to send too many young players in any package. Certainly Lowry and Scola would be established vets, Patterson as a developing player, Morris as a largely unknown young wing, and even a future pick would be ok considering that we have 4 new players arriving. The only thing I would waiver on is including someone like Lamb instead of Morris but that would only be if Martin+ was being traded for Gordon. Even with that "not-exactly-breaking-open-the-bank" offer I don't see any other teams offering more. Once he is here we can offer Howard the real max and let him decide what is most important to him. Cheers.

Copa81

1 person likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

ATL looks like a legit player now if Dwight agrees to be traded there for Horford package. Will Orlando want Horford? Good player, but under long term contract at $12 M per. Replacing Dwight with Horford feels like replacing Shaq with Rony Seikaly.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ric Bucher ‏<s>@</s>RicBucher Source: With Nets out of equation, Mavs go to top of Dwight Howard's wish list. No other teams - Lakers included - on it. For now.

14. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Gawd. Anywhere but Dallas or LA.

15. VictorB

VictorB Member

LOL. What doesn't Howard just say...my wishlist is any team that Williams signs with.

He looks like an idiot by now saying Dallas when they are talking to Williams. Howard looks like a total scrub following D-Will around. You're supposed to be THE man. Players come to play with you, not the other way around.

What a dummy.

16. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Chris r****d, Ric Puker, and all those other clowns seem to have been paid to keep Houston out of their mouths by Dwights Agent( or somebody in his circle)

They have nothing left, and they still refuse to mention Houston

Lakers are not offering up Bynum, so Houston is the only team willing to trade for him

17. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I am sure most of you have no idea what I am talking about because you probably were not born, but, this whole Dwight situation reminds me of 1992 when Akeem was out with an injury and Charlie Thomas questioned whether he was hurt or not. The mood here was everyone wanted to run Akeem out of town he demanded a trade. Everybody in the NBA made their frenzied offers to us. There were some crazy deals and names who could have been Rockets. Rockets decided to start the 1993 season with him still on the roster and all seemed lost. Then out of nowhere, Akeem announced he no longer wanted to be traded after talking to Charlie on a plane flight the first week of the season. That decision gave us 2 titles in the next 2 seasons. I keep thinking about that situation and wondering how this thing is going to turn out.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Nice sarcasm.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I agree. Let's not outbid ourselves. I might throw them Parsons just to give them a moral victory but even though Rockets fans love him and he had a good year we must remember that he was a 2nd round pick. Just please no bad contracts because the free cap space would be our silver lining.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Al Horford is a start. Not bad. Maybe him and a draft pick plus one other young guy?