1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Rockets trade for Howard works

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BatteryChucker, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Last season and the begining of the the talks this season I was for the Howard trade. The more this drags on I say we just with what we have and start rebuilding now. I don't like his flaking and not worth our time if we have to give up all our young talent that could be something.

Just say no at this point.

How do I as a Rocket fan truly root for a guy like this if he comes here? Seriously.

2. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

It would be tough, but i think after this is over with.. kinda like when TMAC forced a trade, or when Kobe had his little episodes.( it will blow over quickly)

3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks.

That Nets package is garbage. Houston wouldn't have to give up half of what he suggests because nobody else is going to offer close to that value. Especially if you do Orlando the favor of taking back bad contracts. Plus, the longer this drags out, the more immature Howard looks.

4. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

I guess your not a parsons fan either.

5. teebone21

teebone21 Member

do you prefer the 20th pick instead ? Its not like we winning a ring with him playing half assed because he doesnt want to be here. He will leave and we will be drafting 20th with no real center on the roster yet again and no prospects for the future. he isnt even gonna play the entire season after his back surgery

6. cogs

cogs Member

I like watching the evolution of trade talks on superstars. It is always the same. I especially like the people that think it is being drug out by Howard and that he is immature like he truly has a hand in it now.

Anyone that thinks he shouldn't be voicing his opinion on where he WANTS to go is not thinking clearly. If you were a player, you would want to try and persuade in any way possible to go where you want. At the end of the day, it is up to Orlando and they are the ones dragging their feet. Being a new GM, their office better take their time and get the best deal possible.

7. Bboy

Bboy Member

Was all excited about this before the draft. Now...Dwight just needs to go somewhere and be done with this. :mad:

8. BatteryChucker

We don't know that he won't be playing the whole season - we don't know the extent of his rehab or when he'll be ready. If he comes here, this team is a playoff team, no doubt. The issue is just if he can be convinced to stay. If not, you rebuild.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nothing. The Rockets are a great 3rd team in any trade.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Actually..

What if we DO manage to snag him?

I mean, at that point, with the cap situations of the other teams, but more specifically the Nets, there just aren't going to be any other teams out there that can pay him anywhere close to what we can pay him.

And considering the West is lining up to be a pretty good shootin' match - SA is pretty much done I think, especially against a Rockets team manned by Howard, I don't think an aging Dallas team can keep in front of us.

You have the Clips, the Lakers and the Thunder out there to round out the other top 3 seeds.

Say we make a run, get to the WCF, in this one year.

Maybe the guy starts to feel the love from H-Town, maybe he realizes that this is a heck of a lot better place to live than Brooklyn. Maybe he realizes that rich NBA players are allowed to buy airplane tickets, and he will be able to go to New York any time he wants outside of the regular season.

Maybe he adds all that up, great place to live, less expensive, a ton more $$ in his pocket and a genuine chance to contend for a title every year.

The crazy part is, this all just rests on what is between the guy's ears.

And that scares me. Very few players have come through Houston and hated it. Even though the 'reputation' out there is that this is not a good place to be - just look at how many pro athletes make their homes here in the off-season, or when they retire.

Will a whole year in Rockets Red be enough to penetrate his skull?

If it is, then this is all worth it.

But if it's not, then... the horror! THE HORROR!

Only way to know though, is to roll the dice!

11. Stack24

Exactly. We bring him here we don't have superstar pieces to go with him and make us a contender.

We will end up probably with a team possibly good enough to get out of the first round and that's it. We end up with a lower pick and possibly lose Howard.

I just don't see any good coming out of getting Howard unless there are multiple other deals going to be put into place to get some key pieces around him. Of course I'm not a GM and don't know what could be happening so I will just wait till the dust settles and I will voice my opinion when I see a starting roster.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Something tells me that Dwight will leave Orlando at all costs. He would not care to leave money, but in Houston or some other place he would think twice.

13. Stack24

Why stay here after getting to the WCF if he doesn't want to stay in Orlando when they were able to go to the NBA Finals at one point.

14. BatteryChucker

Because they and their roster have gotten progressively worse since then?

15. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

nothing is worse than apathy. to gut our roster for an apathetic superstar who will leave in a year would put us in a worse position than we are at now. And for those who say "then we could tank". I would rather tank with a Dragic, Lamb, White, Jones, Asik lineup, because at least we are developing some young talent.

16. teebone21

teebone21 Member

3+ year rebuild plan isnt what the rockets want. We are dooming ourselves to be the laughing stock of the nba. The guy told the media himself that he will only resign with one team so why in the hell do i want him on the team for half a season just se we can suck for years after he leaves. Les isnt stupid i hope to basically doom his franchise to bobcat levels after loosing valuable prospects like lamb, donuts, dragic, etc etc. only saving grace will be if the CBA screwes over the NETS next season if they sign joe Johnson. If johnson isnt on the team then Dwight has a free pass to brooklyn

17. CertifiedTroll

I would cry if we gave donuts, white, or lamb. But I suppose they are the valuable rook assests so I should be clinical about them.

18. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Was that a Spoiler? Or a Novel?

whoa there...... read of doom...

Okay now I will actually read it ...lol

19. Nero

Nero Member

If the Nets don't get a decent team around Deron THIS year, he is going to go to Dallas. And if that happens, why the heck would Howard still want to play in Brooklyn.

The dude just needs to accept the fact that he may have to make do with being a wildly popular multi-millionaire, and not EVERYTHING can always go his way.

20. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Don't we Rent Artest for a year?? Well we pretty much did. And we went all the way to the western semis ohh happy days .. I know we didn't give up much (green) but was worth it. Things is that so many could happens in a NBA season what if we make it to the final ? We all know we have all the pieces we just need that one guy .. 3 draft pick for DH12 pssssstt please
    Possitive Energies