1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we get some in-depth analysis on Asik the basketball player??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Htown's2kFinest

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I may or may not break down some tape in the up-coming week. Not sure yet.

For now some Asik highlights from last year's EuroBasket and some prepartion tournament:
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aLbUqsx1IQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/47yYEf4QURM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HT-3jJzYleo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vh3asAkEiQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

How do you know this? Asik is a proven player in this league, and one of its best defensive centers. Melo is an prospect with good physical attributes, but he wasn't even capable of bringing consistent defense in college. :confused:

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He rated out as the best big in college on points per possesion. That includes the guy who went 1st named anthony davis. Now,I'm not saying that means a lot in nba,but he was a elite collge defender as a big man.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I can work out on offense if his defense is worth it. It works for Ben wallace and Dennis Rodman. Bruce Bowen types. If he lives up to his billing on rebounding and defense.

6. David Stern

David Stern Member

FYI they played zone exclusively. Fab will be exposed when asked to play man to man. Also he can't play pick & roll defense. Asik is elite p & r defender for his size. Something tells me you never watched the orange play this past season

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I consider myself one of the top Bulls analysts on the board. Although I'm basing this on absolutely nothing.

Asik is very tall and talks with an accent. He can rebound and block shots. He also misses open shots.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

think deandre jordan but lighter skin with shorter wingspan and jump not so high

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

That's how I woulda gone on draft day....

10. dequinix

dequinix Member

Ratings in college mean very little considering how diverse the competition is for each team. At least statistics in NBA have the context of having similar opponents.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I have seen over 100 Bulls games the last 2 seasons because I have been living in Chicago.

First, it is rare to find a player as long, big and strong as he is that has a non stop motor. It shows up in a number of small ways. He switches on defense extremely well, defends the P&R and is not afraid to protect the rim even if it means getting dunked on.

In order to be a center in the Bulls system you must be able to switch defensive assignments constantly and on offense not clog the middle to set up guard penetration. Like Noah, Omer does this very well.

He also sets very good screens based on his size and constant hustle. Defensively he honestly excels at virtually all aspects. His hustle and mobility, coupled with his length and width make him a hand full in the post. His mobility and non stop motor make him a threat on the perimeter.

The only negative is that he is so active it can cause him to get into foul trouble and he can become winded.

He is a good to very good rebounder because of his size and effort.

On offense he is BAD. He has poor hands and is awkward. He cannot shoot, tends to put the ball too low and cannot put the ball on the floor to save his life. Having said that, I do believe there is a lot of room for improvement. He will never be a back to the basket scorer, but he can improve his free throw shooting to the 70's and he is so active he should be able to get 8-10 pts a night from out backs, dunks and the line. In Chicago they did not work on his offensive game at all.

1 person likes this.
  12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

How is he compared to Jeff Foster? Sounds to me Osik's game is similar to that of Foster, who plays only on the defensive end and rebounds well. But Foster never demanded that much money.

13. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Omer Asik (RFA)

The basics: 3.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.0 bpg, .506 FG%, .456 FT%, 13.44 PER

Advanced stats: 20.1 rebound rate (4th among qualifying centers), 25.1 defensive rebound rate (9th), 14.9 offensive rebound rate (2nd), 10.6 assist rate (23rd), 22.6 turnover rate (53rd)

Shooting percentages by location: At rim: 52%, 3-9 feet: 50%

Noteworthy Synergy stats: Offense: Cuts: 1.028 ppp (23rd percentile), Post-ups: .815 ppp (55th percentile), Pick-and-roll roll man: .75 ppp (14th percentile),

Defense: Post-ups: .718 ppp (77th percentile), as big defender dealing with the PNR ball-handler: .631 (84th percentile), as big defender dealing with PNR roll man: .75 ppp (70th percentile)

Defense, defense, defense. Asik is an absolute terror on the defensive end of the floor, frequently flummoxing opponents with his length, tenacity, shot blocking and voracious appetite for rebounds of every kind. As the Synergy stats show, he’s dynamite in almost every scenario when it comes to shutting down opponents, defending the post and pick-and-roll with equal aplomb. In fact, use any metric you wish; Asik passes all tests with flying colors -- so long as you stick to those that track defense. On the other end of the floor the 25-year-old Turk is largely limited to put-backs off the offensive rebounds he collects; anything else is an adventure to which his lamentable free throw shooting and high turnover rate attest.

from Jason Friedman on rockets.com
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/free_agency_preview_part_i__2012_05_18.html

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

He seems like the perfect guy to work with McHale. McHale can preach to Asik how to behave when he gets the ball around the rim.

Not a guy who's ever going to be a true superstar, but I could see him averaging a double-double with league-leading defense in the future.

15. dequinix

dequinix Member

Exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if after this contract ends, he ends up commanding a near-max contract. He's young, has a great motor and clogs up the lane as well as anyone in the league.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

After two years working with Thibs and company in Chicago you know Asik has been taught well and is grounded in the defensive basics.

In his third year, we may be getting him at just the right time to make the step to more minutes and a bigger role. Whether it's starting or splitting time with another big (hopefully Camby).

17. cdastros

cdastros Member

Fab Melo played in a zone. You don't know how effective he will be in man to man situations.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Fab Melo is VERY slow laterally........ there is a reason he slipped in the draft.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

O-ffensively limited
    M-eets guys at the rim
    E-levation is medium
    R-ebounding is good

A-lways hustling
    S-ometimes fouls a lot
    I-Q is good for Basketball
    K-eeps up with Ms Ohio

DD

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Speaking of davis... uh oh..

Adrian Wojnarowski: Anthony Davis suffered a severely sprained ankle in a Hornets workout and almost assuredly is unable to play for Team USA, sources tell Y! 3 minutes ago

Would be awful for Hornets if he has an injury riddled career....