1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Weird that Feigen made a typo putting 4 instead of 3 years. He did the same thing last time we signed a center. He wrote 3 years instead of 2 for his tweet about signing Dalembert in December. Cool story.

2. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

we are getting a center for 2 million more per (cap wise) than chuck hayes.

morey also made it where they cannot match, or would be forced to shed some weight in order to.

Is it a big splash? no.

but its a solid move.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Newsflash Clutch Fans:

NBA CENTERS ARE OVERPAID

Plus, it's only 3 years and a great expiring to help land a star when teams want to get out of the luxury tax bracket.

4. Eddy F.

Eddy F. Member

I like Asik. 5.3 rebounds and a 1 block per game at ONLY 15 mins per game. Not a bad center to have if his playing were doubled.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am ok with it, but I think it may be more about forcing Chicago to trade us Noah.

And I don't think Asik makes much of a difference overall.

DD

6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Consider the following:

DeAndre Jordan got paid 10 million this past season, while putting up similar stats per 36 minutes.

Centers get overpaid.

7. karthik.08

karthik.08 Member

you have obviously not seen Asik play lol. he's exactly what you described...albeit with no offense, but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLBAho0THo

1 person likes this.
  8. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

he might turn into ben wallace, for real. check out both their stats in their second years

wallace: 3.1ppg, 4.8rpg, 1.1bpg, 35%ft, 52%fg, 16.8mpg
    asik: 3.1ppg, 5.3rpg, 1.0bpg, 45%ft, 50%fg, 14.7mpg

even less mpg. maybe morey's giving up on the dwight idea, and going for the pistons model. if we can get gordon, this might not be so bad.

dragic/vasquez(sign n trade with nola)
    gordon/lamb/(let lee walk)
    parsons/white/jones(trade morris)
    jones/motie/leur
    asik/camby

let this group gel and with some luck, we might be contenders in a few years.

9. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/free_agency_preview_part_i__2012_05_18.html

Omer Asik (RFA)

The basics: 3.1 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.0 bpg, .506 FG%, .456 FT%, 13.44 PER

Advanced stats: 20.1 rebound rate (4th among qualifying centers), 25.1 defensive rebound rate (9th), 14.9 offensive rebound rate (2nd), 10.6 assist rate (23rd), 22.6 turnover rate (53rd)

Shooting percentages by location: At rim: 52%, 3-9 feet: 50%

Noteworthy Synergy stats: Offense: Cuts: 1.028 ppp (23rd percentile), Post-ups: .815 ppp (55th percentile), Pick-and-roll roll man: .75 ppp (14th percentile),

Defense: Post-ups: .718 ppp (77th percentile), as big defender dealing with the PNR ball-handler: .631 (84th percentile), as big defender dealing with PNR roll man: .75 ppp (70th percentile)

Defense, defense, defense. Asik is an absolute terror on the defensive end of the floor, frequently flummoxing opponents with his length, tenacity, shot blocking and voracious appetite for rebounds of every kind. As the Synergy stats show, he’s dynamite in almost every scenario when it comes to shutting down opponents, defending the post and pick-and-roll with equal aplomb. In fact, use any metric you wish; Asik passes all tests with flying colors -- so long as you stick to those that track defense. On the other end of the floor the 25-year-old Turk is largely limited to put-backs off the offensive rebounds he collects; anything else is an adventure to which his lamentable free throw shooting and high turnover rate attest.

10. Numero.Uno

Numero.Uno Member

In looking at the Bulls message board, there is not one person on there that I could find who hopes they match the Rockets. That concerns me a bit. It also concerns me a bit that we are signing a center with no offensive abilities when we aren't exactly stacked with great offensive play makers to begin with. I realize we need a center, but I don't know about this move. Hopefully I am proven wrong.

11. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

no its not.. guess ur not the best evaluator of talent.. the guy is a defensive beast, those are at a premium in this league

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I agree. So in essence Omer Asik is overpaid and we should be happy about it.

My only concern is whether this completely takes us out of the howard sweepstakes?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both are not Dwight....

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he'll ever be Gortat on offense, but it could improve. My comparison to Gortat was really just about making a successful transition from backup to starter.

15. Apps

Apps Member

Holy crap... SOMETHING HAPPENED! Now for Chicago to match the offer and send us back into the offseason lull...

16. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

So with Parsons and Asik on the court together, which player does the other team foul in late game situations

17. conquistador#11

we're set! Now we just need lamb a 12th pick, motie a 20th or royce a 16th pick to turn into a superdiva in two seasons. No pressure.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think it does. 8 million $$$ backup center?

19. dequinix

dequinix Member

Last year, Asik had:

- 4th highest rebounds per 48 minutes
    - 8th highest blocks per 48 minutes

Why would someone with these rates play only 14.7 minutes per game? Because the guys ahead of him were making $13.5 (Boozer) and $12 (Noah) million per year.

Howard has always been a pipe dream, and his antics in Orlando make him hard to support as well.

Great move by Morey. Centers are "overvalued" only when we compare them to other positions, which is why they need to be compared against each other. We're going to pay a guy with great rebounding/blocking rates (on a team that has quite a few offensive assets now) $8.36 million a year. That seems pretty swell considering Hibbert just got the max treatment from Portland.

1 person likes this.
  20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Question, Assuming we get the deal and if we trade him in the third year, the receiving team would have to pay the $15mil salary (less $3mil cash thrown in) but what would their cap hit be, he $8 or the $15.

Could that be valuable to a luxury tax paying team? Say what you want about Morey, but he has shown great foresight and innovation in structuring contracts.