1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Morey to meet with Omer Asik in LA tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2012.

?

Are you excited that Morey is meeting with Asik tonight?

1. Yes!

215 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No!

88 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Depending on the price.

222 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Fire Maori!

39 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Thought the Bulls were trying to get rid of Deng and Noah to make room for Omer Asik and Taj Gibson?

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I like Asik but I LOLed at the ESPN profile page that says in 2010 he got his shot sent back more than Chuck Hayes! Uh Oh!

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I hadn't heard about Noah but I know they have been trying to get rid of Deng forever. They should get rid of Noah - I think he's really overrated and everything I have heard about him is he hates working out, practicing, dieting, etc. That **** works in your early 20s but I wouldn't want to build a young team with a player like that.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Interesting, but how many times did Chuck shoot?

He usually gets tip ins or open lanes to the basket for an easy lay up/dunk. He would get benched if he tried to score buckets.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He seems to me like a guy who is good at what he does in a very limited capacity. I can't see him being as effective with starter minutes. Also he actually hurts the team on offense, a negative. Just my opinion.

6. cod

cod Member

lol, the #Asik2houston twitter campaign has gone wrong

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Portland is offering Hibbert the max.

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

90% of the tweets were Rockets fans cracking jokes about our team and Bulls fans telling him "fk Houston, come back to Chi-Town."

Morey was probably sweating bullets as the two were scrolling through the tweets.

9. anesticle

anesticle Member

Fesenko saga 2.0

I want to believe Morey signs Asik to package a deal with Orlando :cool:

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

You guy will hate Asik when opposing teams Hack-an-Asik...just saying

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

What's up with Morey asking fans to use twitter to convince a player to come here?? The guy is freaking desperate, first the Gortat campaign, then the Bosh2Houston thing, now this for a below average center?!:confused:

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It's sad when Asik is one of our 'top recruits' and in less than a day, we're on page 20 of this thread.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

all of ther Asik hate is dumbfounding. i understand being underwhelmed if you are hanging your hate on a blockbuster trade like Howard, but to act like Asik won't make a difference to our ball-club is absurd.

screw asik. we don't want him. that guy is garbage. this guy is nothing special. asik won't make us a contender...-um ...yeah, who would want a 7 foot center who play elite defense and blocks 2 shots and gets 11 rebounds and 1 steal per just 30 minutes of play :rolleyes:

What is the most amazing to me was how many people were luke-warm about Gortat when Morey was trying to aquire him, before he played starters minutes. Now it's like, "wish we had Gortat". Gortat and Asik are not similar players, but it's a similar situation. This is a chance to get a top defensive and rebounding center in a single-diget per year contract. Camby/Asik would be one of the best defensive/ rebounding tandems at the center position.

I guess i only need to look back at all the fire Morey threads and anger over our draft to remind myself that the majority of fans out there are not well informed, or don't think facts matter.

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Re: Asik vs. Noah and how good is Asik, a statistical breakdown from a Bulls fan:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1191421#p32439947

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'm thinking the three days earlier this Summer that McHale and Morey spent with Montiejunas in Europe were an evaluation of his possible future as a Center. For one, ever since, Mc Hale has been talking about how the league is changing away from the true Center position and playing small ball. And two, Dalembert was just 'given away' with Camby iffy, no Centers under contract and no plan to draft for need from the 2012 class (apparently we did not want Zeller).

So, it could be that they plan to go with Monty as the mobile scoring center which means Asik could be the defensive presence center where they each get 20 minutes a night. Or if Camby does come back, Dmo splits his playing time between PF & C (he is only a rookie and probably needs a year on the bench)

If the decision was made that Dmo could be a 'new age' type Center it also relieves some of the log jam at the PF.

It also allows you to average the total cost of your Center position between
    Asik being over paid for 4 years and Dmo on his rookie contract for 4 years. The total cost for the C position doesn't look as bad then.

Camby is still needed but you have to be prepared to fast forward DMo if someone offers Camby big money.

Dmo must have really impressed them.

#395 Dubious, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think someone is going to end up overpaying for Omer. I hope it's not the Rockets.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Why would you NOT use it? :confused:

Tools like Twitter would be most effective on mid-tier players like Gortat and Asik. They're not used to that kind of love, if used correctly. It can be a real selling point. Are you suggesting Morey try less? :confused:

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Odd that Morey throws an less than MLE offer to Gorat a few years ago but throws an 8 million offer for Asik. Is Asik twice as good? Personally 6...7 maybe.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Another team also offered the max - - Rox?

Offer Lowry and PPat in a max/SnT and see how likely Indy matches.

Rather overpay Hibbert than Asik. Just sayin'.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I would be more excited if his name was Gomer. Should I tweet that @ asik2houston?