1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Morey to meet with Omer Asik in LA tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2012.

?

Are you excited that Morey is meeting with Asik tonight?

1. Yes!

215 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No!

88 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Depending on the price.

222 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Fire Maori!

39 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It defines insightful on this Board. Thanks.

3. JD88

JD88 Member

3 points and 5 boards in 14 minutes, and is 26.

I suggest Hawes, who averages 10 points and 7 rebs, and is 24, while playing 23 mpg, and who has said he only expects 5-6 million per year, and I get blasted?

You guys crack me up.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Asik is exactly what we need. An elite defensive big man. Our offense is fine, this guy would offer improvement where we need it most. LOL at hawes, he is trash. A backloaded contract works just fine for me.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If it helps sign Asik, Maury can take my TouchPad

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What kind of defense does Hawes play? What has been the Rockets biggest weakness since they lost Yao? Would that be a defensive center that can guard the rim? Can Hawes provide that? Maybe you crack yourself up. :p

7. JD88

JD88 Member

His stats say otherwise, as does his age. But your opinion trumps stats.

8. opticon

opticon Member

Have the bulls tendered a qualifying offer yet? Or gone on record about plans to match.

9. teebone21

teebone21 Member

hawes is a starter, numbers way to low

10. Carl Herrera

BimaThug,

As you pointed out in your post (and in our twitter exchange), HOU, Asik and CHI cannot work out a S&T for him that pays him more than the 4 years $25 million amount that CHI can sign him for using Early Bird Rights.

As such, it would seem that if HOU wants to sign Asik to an amount more than 4 years, $25 mil, it will need to sufficient room under the cap first. Looking over the #s after the recent trades, it seems that this will require the team to clear some space first some combination of (a) trading away some guys for less $ in return, (b) renouncing either Lee or Dragic, (c) waiving non- or partially- guaranteed guys, (d) amnesty a player, and (e) delay the signing of draft picks (so the cap hold is 100% slotted amount rather than 120%).

So, this might explain that the team would have some urgency to complete a Scola, Martin or even Lowry trade before the moratorium kicks in or at least shortly after the moratorium ends. Such an urgency means that the team will be willing to take back less than might be otherwise expected in making such a deal.

11. JLO

JLO Member

I don't agree that our offense is fine. Outside of Dragic we struggled to find guys who could score last season. Unless we plan on bringing Martin back my biggest concern is our offense and who will be reliable enough to take shots in the 4th quarter.

12. Carl Herrera

Hawes is not an elite defender or rebounder.

13. JLO

JLO Member

This makes perfect sense. I don't like it, but I guess it's the cost of rebuilding.

14. JD88

JD88 Member

But he's younger, probably be cheaper in the long run (as in 6 years 32 million ballpark), has a higher PER, and we can use our trades elsewhere.

But that's not a good idea? Got it.

1 person likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree and I am an Asik fan. Trade for Noah and re-sign Dragic, Lee and Camby.

Houston has a ton of trade assets. A roster of Noah, Dragic, Lee and Camby is a lot better than just Asik and one (maybe two) of Dragic, Lee and Camby.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It seems like we are making a move towards going with the young guys and signing a 25 yr old Asik fits in line with that. We drafted some guys that can score so we will likely look to them and Dragic for points.

17. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This multiplied by 1 billion. We can all thank Mr.Hererra for all of this hype. A polarizing poster on this forum who everyone loves says asik is good well then he must be really good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Elite defensive big man? :eek:

Link please. :cool:

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Can a signed-and-traded Asik deal for a signed-and-traded Lee work? Throw in one of the excess PFs in needed.

20. Carl Herrera

The issue here is that, as BimaThug pointed out, Asik is an Early Bird FA an can only sign a deal with the Bulls worth up to $25 mil in 4 years. A S&T would require Asik to accept a deal no more than $25 mil over 4 years also while a straight signing by another team, or a sign and match by Bulls, can pay Asik significantly more (up to $39 mil or so over 4 years).

So, Asik will most likely not agree to a S&T.