1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Barton: Rocket Smell

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is projected to go late in the 1st round, but Will Barton rather looks like the kind of player that the Rocket like:

1. High efficiency score: Shot 56% from 2 pt range, got to the line a good deal. Averaged 18 points in 35 mpg.

2. Really good rebounder for his size/position: 8 rpg in 35 minutes as a 6'6'' (and 174 lb) wing.

3. Was a highly ranked recruit in his high school classs (RSCI: 9th in 2010), was productive. Chase Budinger is another top 10 recruit that the Rockets picked up in the later part of the draft.

4. Has good physical tools: 6'6'' with 6'10'' winspan. Skinny, but he's not the only one out there (Jeremy Lamb).

What's the reason why he isn't ranked higher?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

-Link-

[rquoter]Will Barton, Memphis, So., SG, 6-6, 174, projected late first, early second round

The red flag: The frail frame

Confidence plays as big a part in this equation as anything, and I didn't deem him "Bold Barton" at the Chicago predraft camp for nothing. Some 30 seconds into my first chat with Barton during the media sessions, he offered this proclamation.

"I feel like I'm the best wing in the draft."

This is a draft that's deep with shooting guards, mind you, with the likes of Florida's Bradley Beal, Syracuse's Dion Waiters, Duke's Austin Rivers, Connecticut's Jeremy Lamb and Washington's Terrence Ross considered the top of that class. But the super-skinny Barton is sure he'll be better than all of them, and he can hardly be blamed for feeling that way after putting up the best numbers of them all last season.

He averaged 18 points, eight rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.4 steals per game while shooting 50.9 percent overall and 34.6 percent from beyond the arc. His lack of strength is a concern for some teams, although Kevin Durant is the latest poster boy to show that not being able to complete any bench press reps at 185 pounds at the predraft combine (as both he and Barton failed to do) is hardly relevant to the game.

Memphis finished 26-9, losing to Saint Louis in the second round of the NCAAs. Milwaukee is known to be high on Barton, though the Bucks currently have the No. 12 pick (and No. 42) and would only take him if they moved back in the draft. His latest workout was for Dallas (pick Nos. 17, 55). I currently have him going to Atlanta at No. 23 in Mock 3.0.[/rquoter]

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

He's undersized. He only weighs 174 pounds. Those rebounds he got in college will drop off once everyone on the floor is bigger. He will suck on defense unless he bulks up. He's raw talent, but in most other drafts he would be a 14-18 pick.

Guys like Royce White and Taylor have the size to play at the NBA level and the offense. They will get picked up before him because they have a greater chance of contributing right away and that's what teams want.

If the Rockets trade for Boston's two picks I would not mind walking away from this draft with Jones III, White and Barton.

4. jogo

jogo Member

I think I actually really like all 3 picks. Though I'd probably take Sullinger or Leonard if they're available over one of those 3.

Barton does look good as a 20's pick. I don't think I'd go 14 or 16 for him, however. Too many good players in the draft.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's a better risk at #30 than Lamb is anywhere in the first round. And Lamb is most likely going top 20. Will Barton is a better Jeremy Lamb. And the knock on him is his frame. He may disappear in the NBA at 174 lbs.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think you may be on to something here Carl.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Will-Barton-5737/

So he has been spending most of his time in Houston.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I really like this kid (Will Barton) and think he may be a sleeper keeper. Reminds me of a right handed Cuttino Mobley. Very skinny, quick, and skilled. He's a little bigger than Cat was though. I think if we go big at 14, he could be a dark horse for our 16th pick.

8. Crank

Crank Member

Undersized is usually referring to height and wingspan. Things that a player can't help. Weight is manageable. Cuttino was about 6"3 if I'm not mistaken. Would you take similarly gifted Cuttino at 6"6? Yes.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bGhVsZTHhKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is he as quick as Cuttino? I wonder how good this guy's first step is. And can he guard opposing teams' SGs?

So how many guys in this draft are Morey/Rockets-esque:

Barton
    Sullinger
    O'Quinn maybe?

11. Brolandry

Brolandry Member

I went to prep school with Will.. great kid - positive attitude, never leaves the gym, confident in his abilities, best player on prep national championship team. Definitely a sleeper pick.. Wouldn't go as high as 16 though to take him

12. AFS

AFS Member

I prefer not to draft players with poor hygiene.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v_IEA6n9nPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I like this guy. I was hoping the Rockets were going to pick him up. Lamb's nice too though.