1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

December's ROY?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prlen, Dec 30, 2002.

1. maamii

maamii Member

Stoudamire is the ROW(rockie of week) at best. that's it.

2. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I think one of the main reasons that Amare has done well is because of his NBA body. Everyone else has been too thin to make an impact. Lebron is reportedly 225-240, which for a guard is insane. I wouldn't be surprised if he did better than Amare.

Ming has put up big games before and he's bound to do it again. Amare will put up big games but he'll struggle other times. Just watch. Tony Delk had a 50 point game. It's called inconsistency, folks. All rookies go through it. Some people are being silly with the whole "rookie wall" crap. He's had a few bad rebounding games, so what? Shaq had a game where he had 4 rebounds. Eddy Curry was fresh at the beginning of the year and still went for many games without a rebound. I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Just because Amare's team is doing better does not mean that he's a better player. IMO, Ming still deserves ROY because he's putting up better numbers and defenses have been geared towards him. I love Amare's game but Ming is still the best rookie for now.

3. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I'd like to see how Amare respond to double and triple team in the near future as Yao constantly draws in the last two weeks.

Yao's number in Dec is better than those of Amare's. And Yao has had more big games in helping Rockets win over Spurs, Pacers and Kings. Houston has no business in beating these teams if not for Yao.

Yao's number is off recently, but overall, he holds a small edge over Amare. I will be very impressed if the opponents make it a top priority to stop Amare and see how he responds.

4. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

As far as the better player there is no question Yao is the better player. If you look at the efficiency ranking for rookies on NBA.com(which taking into account points, block shot , rebounds , assist, steals, FGA, FGM, FTA, FTM ,and TO), Yao is rank ahead of Armare (Yao is actually number 1). Phoenix is playing better right now because they found their chemistry while Houston is still lokking for theirs. Phoenix is on a hot streak right now and a lot of it had to do with the improve play of Marbury and Marion. Armare no question had contribute to their success but team are not focusing on him as they are on Yao. Armare is no doubt going to be an excellent player but he is too raw to place him ahead of Yao. The Rocket's mediocre record during this month is not because of Yao's play . He might contribute to it but not in a major way. Yao can change the whole way that a team attack Houston on offense with his shot blocking and intimidation. His court awareness, his passing and the way he can create open shot for his teammate affect the game that will not show up on the stats sheet. Also his stat for December is also better than Armare if you going with stats by itself. As far as Armare's outburst for 38 points, it took him 24 shot to get there (which is not bad at all). But it took Yao 12 shot against the Mavericks to get his season high of 30 points.

5. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

There are several elements that support Yao Ming is in fact playing better than Stoudamire.

(1) Yao Ming's statistic is better in many ways. NBA.com has been biased in the rookie power from day 1 when they placed Yao Ming at the bottom by overlooking the minutes and touches he had. They are still baised in this week's standing. Even when Yao Ming was placed on the top, they still said Yao Ming is not ready to give up no. 1 (implying he is marginal on top) when in fact there was a big gap in the statistics between Yao Ming and Stoudemire.

(2) Stoudemire's stat was bumped up by one game. whereas his team lost, so he did not help his team win. It was his opponent focusing on his teammates that give him the open look. Phoenix is more geared to pass the ball to their big man while Houston is a guard-focused team. For example, againt Timberwolves, Stoudemire has great suppot from their guard and small forward, Shawn Marion and Stephon Marbury, while Ming has been supported by our dribble-and-shoot guards of Steven and CM.

(3) Stoudemire had more minutes and touches to get to his Stat. In his big game, Stoudemire played 45 minutes but in Yao Ming's big games, Rudy benched him when he was hot.

(4) Yao Ming has attracted a lot of attention in the league. When Houston plays another team now, there is always double or triple team Ming while Stoudemire is pretty much overlooked by his opponent.

(5) In the last few games, we were playing two rookies (Ming and EG) in the low post while in Phoenix, Stoudemire was supported by many veterans. In a way, his teammates has attracted more defences to leave him wide open. Yao Ming is on the contrary, EG does not attract a lot of attention. So, he has been fighting alone at the low post, mostly against zone defence.

:(

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Yao is a better player than Stoudemire, but I wouldn't prove it by an efficiency ranking. It's a pretty bad way IMO to compare players because it doesn't take defensive abilities into the picture (Yao is a better defensive player than Stoudemire, too). Stoudemire is getting a lot of attention now because no one that hasn't played in a college or professional game prior to the NBA is doing what he is doing right now since Moses Malone.

Griffin is not a rookie, he is a 2nd year pro. Also, he doesn't really play in the post. I'd say Stoudemire's supporting cast in Phoenix is much better than what Yao has in Houston. Valid point.

7. G. GUERRA

G. GUERRA Member

38 points, yeah but that only one good night
    when Yao shoots 25 times he well score 40 points, and he is a more complete player and in a harder position

if there are no cultural distractors Yao will win the award

8. beckham22

beckham22 Member

just wanna say... first of all... amare played 45 mins... second of all... it was garbage time since the 2nd quarter<suns down by 20>... so most of the time<nearly 30 mins or so>... amare was playing against the wolves' bench players... but still... for a kid come out of HS... he is impressive... i don/t really think he will be ROY... but his team really suits him... their coach really trust him... and there is not much competition on his position in the suns team... and that gives him lots of playing time... IMO... if yao continue to play like the last 2 or 3 games... amare may have a chance at ROY... but i still favor yao since his size and agility are always there and it seems that he is adding some muscles lately...
    :)

9. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

why not change the "Amare" to "I"(or Slinlin) in your all posts?

10. prlen

prlen Member

Amare:
    8 double doubles (6 of those won)
    16 assists
    15 blocks
    14 steals
    average 3 turnovers a game

Ming
    8 double double (6 of those won)
    28 assists
    40 blocks
    5 steals
    averaging 3 turnovers a game
    Yao's a much smarter and more polished player. Amare relies too much of athleticism .Amare is great. It's refreshing to see a rookie with a power game and who just loves to dunk .
    But Yao is better!He's got a knack for the game I'm not sure I've ever seen in a 22 year old except for maybe Kobe .And he plays the rarest position in the league.There are a few players with better post moves than Yao, but not many with the combination of size, grace, speed, and court awareness as he does.Yao is not the most dominant low post scorer, but he does have a pretty wide arsenal of moves. That under the basket shake, and the up and under are hardly used by ANYBODY, not to mention he has perfected the hook shot and turnaround fade-away.BTW (20ft jumper shoot tonite).

11. jeremyang2002

PS:it's just last week rank.NOT the overall Dec rank.

12. slinslin

slinslin Member

Read my message and think about what it says...

13. slinslin

slinslin Member

Are you kidding me?

Their was no garbage time. The Suns had several chances to get within 2 in the fourth quarter.

Against Twolves bench players....why did KG have to play 40 minutes? Although Amare got him into foul trouble in the third and Saunders had to sit him?

Hudson played 38 minutes, Gill played 40 minutes. Nesterovic fouled out in his 16 minutes. Joe Smith also fouled out in his 21 minutes.

Amare had 23 points in the first half.

The Twolves got on a 10-0 run at the end of the second half when Amare rested 3 minutes on the bench.

Get a clue

14. slinslin

slinslin Member

Did you watch games? Minnesota double teamed Amare all night. Amare gets the double team all the time already ever since he started to average 15 and 10 as a starter.

Yao had more big games in helping the Rockets win over Spurs, Pacers and Kings? Phoenix beat all of those team too and Amare was a big part of it.

Also Amare is one of the leaders in NBA.com's crunch time statistics.

15. mj230

mj230 Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but yao is leading in almost every categories except rpg(8.8-7.9). in fg pct., yao is leading by over 10%.

i'd vote amare for rookie dunker of the yr. i'd vote yao for roy. there's a difference.
    ;)

16. cmellon

cmellon Member

Somebody please close the thread.
    This thread is getting silly.

17. jon

jon Contributing Member

poor guy, he doesn't have a good eye. He doesn't know how to read. READ THE FIRST SENTENCE IN THE LINK , CAN'T READ? OK , READ HERE
    "After being on top of the Rookie Power Rankings for more than a month, Yao Ming slips to No. 2"

YM hold the top 1 for more than a month. How long has that A guy got that position? Huh? Don't use this link, it means nothing for that A guy.

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Slin,

I don't think that we need to argue anymore. You take Amare and we take Yao. I hope that both of the teams are happy with their own rookie.

I have no doubt that Amare was the stud and the only difference in Sun's win over Pacers and Spurs. So is Yao, who single-handedly carried Houstons' to wins over then, and at the same time outplaying arguably the two best front courts in the NBA all by himself.

Case closed.

19. jeremyang2002

wait till Jan 15, Yao will show why he is much better than Amare(slinlin).

20. SLA

SLA Member

Listen...YAO held it for at least two weeks. This is Amare's first time. I bet you Yao will get it back. Only this week did Amare do good. Maybe he has erupted...I don't know. Yao is the Rookie of the Year. :)