1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aldridge confirms rumor?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ace, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

As posted at BSKBALL.com:

Well, instead of going away this rumor is spreading like wild fire and even dragging some key reporters in with it. David Aldridge is the latest to hop on the Jamison-to-Houston bandwagon. Here's the run down on what is now a growing rumor:
    Houston would get center Eric Dampier, who understandably wants out of Golden State, and All-Star small forward Antawn Jamison.

Golden State would get Carlos Rogers, Bryce Drew, Walt Williams, and Jason Collier.

With Collier in the equation the cap numbers are just about even. It was previously believed that Cato would be the center in question, which made this deal ludicrous to even think about from a cap standpoint.

The Rocket Guy mentions that Collier has been mentioned in talks...I thought he couldn't be traded until December 15th?

Also, has anyone else seen any proof that Aldridge has indeed confirmed the rumor?

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Uh Oh...David Aldridge is involved. Surely this is the death of this rumor now.

Or maybe, just maybe....Aldridge is reading this board?

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

3. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Between Aldridge and The Rocket Guy, it is now sure not to happen.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

4. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Sure hell, he copied it from this board.
    Now the deal is officially dead, if there was one.
    By the way, didn't John Aldridge reported Payton for Cat and Frachise trade, couple of months a ago. The funny thing about that report was some unknow Soncis fan posted that message in the ESPN messageboard, the day before some ESPN. writer under the name of Stupid John reported it.

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Aldridge also reported the cuttino signing.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

6. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

Damon Stoudmire?

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

7. Bballplayinplaya

Francis3 can u say
    D-A-M-O-N
    S-T-O-U-D-A-M-I-R-E?

------------------
    Bow down to GOD FRANCIS!

"If they offered me (a lifetime contract) tomorrow, I'd take it."

-- Steve Francis on if the Rockets offered him a lifetime deal. He has now been elevated to "God" status.

8. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Guess what ... "The Rocket Guy" didn't hear or read Aldridge reporting it at all.

But someone named "sharky" (whom TRG says is from the Clutch BBS, but he doesn't show up in a search of the past 30 days) posted on his message board that Aldridge was reporting it, so TRG took it as fact.

Tells you a lot about TRG, I guess. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited September 07, 2000).]

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

There was also talk on the ESPN Rockets board about the Jamison deal, so maybe that is DA's source.

Does anyone know where DA mentioned this though?

------------------

10. Swopa

Four or five people asked "sharky" that on TRG's message board.

He didn't respond.

------------------

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No one posted that here or from this board (how can he say "someone from the Clutch BBS posted it"? Makes zero sense). If someone posts a claim on the BBS like that and I find it to be false, I delete it immediately.

If someone posts a claim like that and it turns out to be true, that's how credibility for that poster gets built. There are certain people on the BBS that when they post something you know it's true because they don't play around. That's the beauty of having a registered users board with a very large and tight-knit community of fans.

I have not heard anywhere or from anyone that Aldridge said anything like that.

I'm amazed the impact Pop's post has had.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

12. Steve

Steve Member

like me right clutch [​IMG]

------------------
    "It wasn't a fight. He punched me one time, that's all. That's not a fight. I don't fight at 30,000 feet. I had an education." L8 vs Stack

13. Swopa

Just to be clear, Clutch, TRG said that "someone from the Clutch BBS" posted it on his (TRG's) message board.

Looking at the TRG message board, I found a post from "sharky" making the Aldridge claim. A search showed he hasn't posted in this forum in the last 30 days, and he didn't respond to numerous requests on the TRG message board to back up his claim.

I don't know if the Oily One's post really had that much impact. The thread has dissolved into (1) people just trying to prolong it for its own sake, (2) a micro-flame war between Warriors fans pointing out how ridiculous the proposed deal is and a few Rockets diehards offended by the notion that their team can't get any player it sets eyes on, and (3) some weird folks just looking to pile on by talking tired trash about the Warriors. (Something no classy or intelligent fan, would ever do, IMHO [​IMG].)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited September 07, 2000).]

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ok, just ANOTHER example of bskball.com's incompetence. Aldrige is away on holidays. He didn't report on the O'Neal/Davis trade because of that and he certainly isn't calling up from Maui (or wherever he went) to comment on some trade that can't even work because Collier can't be traded and because not even the Warriors would do that trade!!!

------------------

15. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

To clear things up, a poster by the name of "Sharky" posted the following on The Rocket Guy Message Board:

Thats what david aldridge is reporting and that jamison will land to the rockets for hear this jamison for drew,williams and a future 1st draft pick. Hope this is true because david aldrige is a good expert on trades wow.

Certainly, he doesn't post in a very convincing manner. [​IMG]

The Rocket Guy further discusses it in another thread:
    I did not say Aldridge said this was a done deal. How stupid is Golden State anyway? SOmeone from the CLutch BBS posted a message here saying Aldridge mentioned the possibility and I confirmed the "mention" bit with BSKBALL. I don't care where the guy is, he has a cell phone and will comment on anything at any given time. Ya'll missed the point - WE DON'T NEED JAMISON!!!! I believe this rumor to be "JUNK" as my source told me and I wrote a couple of days ago. The talks go on, though, so I'll give my two cents worth. I am, afterall, just another fan of the team!

He follows up with:

As I said in the e-mail repsonse to your e-mail, Someone from the CLutch BBS posted as much here, I asked BSKBALL about it. BSK confirmed it, so I discussed it. Bottom line. If you don't believe it, OK. I don't care whether he said it one way or the other. That's not the point of my article, it was merely a side note. Don't you understand sports journalism? Aldridge (or any other TV reporter) will not "report" anything until AFTER the fact. My understanding is that Aldridge acknoledged this was being discussed. Do you need proof that it is being discussed? Hit "BACK" on your browser and check out how many peope are discussing it right here - including YOU. Obviously you're enjoying the drama, so - you're welcome!

I think that most of what he posts comes from BSKBALL, whom he has found to reliable. I don't really visit the site very often, so I do not know the extent to which we can trust that site.

The last message by The Rocket Guy indicates that "dicussed" could even be defined as fans ranting on message board?!? I mean, I could "report" with absolute certainty that this deal is being discussed if I decided to go by his definition of the word. [​IMG]

Bill, however, seems to distrust the report as well (as shown by his last post). He seems to have confliction sources, as some go to the extent to calling the rumor "junk." I think we can all respect his opinion on the matter, but I do think that his sources might not be on the money quite frequently.

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited September 07, 2000).]

16. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Sorry, but this is NOT true. He didn't take it as fact, but asked BSKBALL about it. Whether you believe him is another story.

Don't try to gain some points with the people who don't like Bill by making up some blatant lie.

I admit that I don't believe a lot of the rumors posted on the site, but I don't respect actions like yours.

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited September 07, 2000).]

17. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

I'm confused as hell as to what was just quoted and what everyone is referring to. The only sense I can make out is that Aldridge may have said something according to Bskball.com. The rest of this stuff, about TRG.. rocket guy, whoever, is just confusing. So lay off the personal attacks, and quotations if the argument is beyond the rest of us BBS posters. Thanks,
    Elie17

------------------
    Oh.. so this is how you add a signature huh? coo coo.

18. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

The point of providing quotations had the purpose of clearing up the issue. It seems that people believe tha Bill took what Sharky said as fact and posted it on his column. That just complete bs. I don't necessarily believe what he says, but there's no need to make stuff up.

Yes, Elie#17, you're right. The Rocket Guy asked BSKBALL about the Aldridge rumor, and he supposedly confirmed this. I have a hard time believing this, to tell you the truth.

I'm with you, though. Lay off with the personal attacks based on lies. Don't agree with him most of the time? Fine. I find myself doubting him a lot also. Just lay off the bullsh*t.

------------------

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Why Clutch? Opie's trade "rumor" posts are always flooded with the usual people asking for inside info.

------------------
    I am the founding member of the Butt-Nekkid Party! White House here we come!

20. Swopa

BskBALL has a post on The Rocket Guy's message board specifically disavowing that he confirmed anything about the Jamison rumor being reported by David Aldridge, and dismissing the rumor entirely:

http://members.boardhost.com/TheRocketGuy/msg/4523.html

With due respect for your civility campaign, Ace, everything I said in my post is correct. In fact, I'd say I let Bill off pretty easy.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited September 08, 2000).]