1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq's racial comments toward Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bonfirebook, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonfirebook

bonfirebook New Member

My best friend, who is African American made the best analogy for the ching-chong taunt Shaq made toward Yao. He said, it is like a white person making monkey sounds at Shaq. My friend said "it's f'd up" because how would people react if someone made monkey sounds at a black player? He sees that the derisive taunt goes far beyond "making fun of the Chinese language," but rather attempts to dehumanize East Asians.

I bring up this analogy to help people understand, not just David S. He is not alone. Non-Asians often have a hard time understanding Asian American perspectives.

My friend has been with me on this issue from the beginning, as we have both had to deal with explicit and in-your-face racism living and growing up in the South.

Of course, being an Asian American male, I have had to deal with these taunts in combination with violence. And that is why it was particularly disturbing to hear Shaq make racist taunts while also threatening to elbow Yao in the face, and so on. Those comments were probably made in separate interviews, we hope.

I'd like to see the conversation here turn towards what should and can be done to improve the status of Asian Americans as essentially the ethnic punching bag of the media, film, TV, radio, comedians, and loud-mouthed celebrities.

2. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

What can be done? I tell you what can be done. Go out and make your mark
    on society; run for office, get into the movie business, get into the music
    business, get into news media business and let your actions of how you live
    speak for you.

Trying to change peoples perspectives (Shaq's) and stereotypes by calling the
    race card wont change much. But, going out and making a life for yourself
    will make more of an impact for the people you meet throughout your life.

Saying that you are oppressed and a victim compared to the Jews or Blacks
    wont do much, no matter how much you think it's not fair. Life is not fair.
    Idealist think will make some change, but not much. If you think that
    you will get the same reparations as Blacks or Jews, it's not going to happen.

By the way, I'm NOT white. I Mexican. I've experienced racial remarks too.
    I say, Big deal! That's their problem, not mine.

So, if you feel that you must march on Washington DC to get your message
    out, then have at it. But making a life for yourself and being proactive
    by example will have more of an effect on the people around you.

Always try and see the person for who they are, not their race.

#183 DavidS, Dec 28, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2002
  4. mj230

mj230 Member

hi irwin,

i dont know if you remember. i was one of the first ones to respond to your thread. i applauded you for speaking out against insensitive treatment towards minorities. and now i applaud your friend.

you friends analogy is a very good one. he's objective enough to understand. shaq made insensitive and hurtful slurs and comments. thats just the plain facts. no other around it. obviously, many people are hurt and offended. but yet, there are those who make excuses for him or try to shift the blame to the ones offended by him. i guess there are many people such as your friend who don't have to "walk the asian shoes" and yet understand the sting of shaq's insensitive comments.

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

what exactly is calling the race card?

6. Kiki

Kiki Member

So David, if someone were to walk up to your wife, an American citizen, born in the US, who is Hispanic, and said "Hey wetback! Go back where you came from!", I assume you would have no problems with that since it's 'not your problem'.

I use this example to illustrate just how flawed your "not my problem" solution is. This exact scenario has happened to my wife on more than one occasion, and let's just say, for sake of brevity, that those people will think twice before saying something like that again. It's fights against exactly these types of things that the African Americans HAD(and still have) to fight to achieve the equality the law said they had, but was ignored in practice.

I said it in my previous post and I'll say it again: If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. It's all well and good for you personally to break the barrier and achieve a successful career, etc., but would you just leave your fellow Mexican-Americans behind, still trying to get through that glass ceiling? All too often, this IS what happens, and it's a shame... :(

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Here's a strange thing. I've had Hispanics and Blacks make fun of me than whites. Not saying whites haven't made fun of my language/culture, but Hispanics and blacks have been more mean spirited and vehement about it. Don't know why.

I remember when I was 14 and visiting Dallas. I was at a convenient store and this black guy came up to me and started doing karate hand stuff while he was laughing at me. He was outside of his black porsche. He was literally twice my size, but regardless, I just walked into the store and ignored him. To this day, I don't know why he did that.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hey I just wanted to point out something you said that I think is something that needs to change if people want to change things. You said you ignored him. That was the wrong thing to do. You should have said something like 'Hey thats kind of rude man why are you doing that?' I know you were only 14, but still its good to make sure other people say something rather than ignoring things. That was something I realized awhile back. If you want to fix things and change things then you have to point them out and make sure people know they are acting like asses...kind of like what this whole thread is about.

Also whats up Irwin...this is Robbie from Showplace Lanes. You certainly came to CC.net with a big splash.

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

And what would you do? Beat them up? Kick their ass? What? Come on!
    Does that really change anything?

I mean, what are we taking about? Some punk kid saying that, or some
    grown man? A KKK member? What? Do you really care that some jerks
    in some car yell at your wife. Big freaking deal! They could be a bunch of
    drunks. They could be KKK members! They could be some guy that got
    beat up as kid by some Mexican. You just don't know. If I was around I
    would have come to your aid.

"If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem" huh?

Ok, tell me. What is the solution? Free men every where, peace on earth,
    food on every table and the end of racisim? Sigh...give me a break!

Let me ask you then? The person that yells out "Hey wet-back, go back to
    Mexico!" What will you do to change his mind? If you kick his ass, do you
    think that he will like Mexicans more? Come on know? Tell me?

What you think of a solution is really just a temporary censorship of the
    voice. But it does nothing for the real issue: Why they said it.

You are just treating the symptom not the disease.

Your "solution" is completely reactive, not proactive.

Oh please. Spare me! I'll help anyone, regardless of race.

10. petey44

petey44 New Member

This statistic is misleading. While Asian-americans make more, NATIONALLY, than whites in the U.S., this does not take into account geography. The vast majority of Asians in the U.S. live in urban areas. If you compare per capita income of Asians living in urban areas of the U.S. with the income of whites living in urban areas of the U.S., Asians actually make less.

If you compare education levels (e.g. Income of Asians with a masters degree with the income of whites with a masters degree) the disparity becomes even more apparent.

Even if Asians did make more than whites, per capita income is a poor indicator of oppression. Oppression can occur in many facets of life, not just monetary. Try telling an African-American basketball player that because he makes millions of dollars a year, he couldn't possibly be oppressed.

11. Timing

Timing Member

What language are monkey sounds? Ridiculous...

12. Timing

Timing Member

Originally posted by madmaxu
    hmmm so using your logic its ok for me to call black people the N word b/c chinese people never historically oppressed black people.

What are you talking about? How did you get that from what I said? Now you're really grasping at straws. You said that basketball is dominated by African-Americans and tried to insinuate that they have some power over Asians trying to join the league. That's ridiculous.

So? all my black friends like fried chicken, and they call each other the N word all the time. By the way, Ching Chong is not Chinese.

Again, what the heck are you talking about? Fried chicken isn't African-American in the sense that Kung Fu is Chinese. You're all over the place here.

What does per capita have to do with being racially oppressed? Are you saying people who worked diligently all their life and go to 8 years post graduate school should stand idly by while being passed up for promotions due to race because he or she makes a little more than avg per capita?

Apparently you don't know the meaning of the word oppressed. If Asians were oppressed it would be quite rare for Asians to even have the opportunity to go to "post graduate school". In fact, Asians are the most educated and the most wealthy of all Americans. Asians make more than just "a little more" than average.

Come on listen yourself!!! Anyway, I am not going to argue with you anymore, if you ever lived a minute in the ghetto as an Asian you'll know what I am talking about, until then you'll just forever be watching the world under a well.

Well that's just r****ded. I have to live in an Asian ghetto to understand the concept of oppression. Great.

13. Timing

Timing Member

It's an average and I'm sure the median numbers will show the same thing. African-Americans make much less than Asians and your attempt to compare the situation of a millionaire basketball player to a population that on average makes much more money is pretty bad. Oppression stems from lack of proportional wealth and power. As a whole, Asians have as much wealth and power as any race in this country. African-Americans are on the low end of that totem pole.

I'd like to see your statistics though.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Racism + Oppression is worse than Racism alone, but Racism is still Racism, eh? Why are we bringing up oppression?

15. Timing

Timing Member

Well madmaxu said this...

I hope you understand that a lot of us had go through middle school and high school with every other kid wanting to test out our Kunfu skill or using 'chingchong' as a way of mocking us. And it's been going on since the 1800s, how long do we have to endure the constant insults to be consider historical oppression?

16. fatfatcow

fatfatcow Member

Everyone know saying chingchong.......... **** like that to a chinese person are insult n is annoying too so dont try to defend him saying he dunno that n hes trying to be funny. 2nd he say it on purpose cuz he know that what the media want to hear n he doent like ming . why he doesnt like a person he never met n done nth wrong to him, cuz the media fool shaq to . Shaq trying to be a american hero that hes going to kick this overseas center butt n show him whos the best center in the league n american still rules....!!! This is exactly what the media want , a story.
    To be honest , if i hear Shaq go chingchongchingching n making funny sound imitating the language i speak in the street i will fight him even tho hes 350lbs n friking huge. This is not funny at all n its is rasicm. some streotype is also rasicm , judging ppl from their color or race.

Definition of racism-The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

17. fatfatcow

fatfatcow Member

One more thing i dunt understand is why some people try to defend someone who is clearly racist(Shaq) n saying he is jsut funny or misunderstanding n other stuff like that. No body is trying to make a big deal but what he said shouldnt be acceptable. what he said is wrong , offensive , n stupid.
    i know i cant change nth by posting here but why are people defending a racist n saying his rascist comment arent racist.
    If u truly think what shaq said was funny , or acceptable or okay, i suggest u go say the same thing to every chinese person u see n see what will happan .

18. mj230

mj230 Member

hi ffcow,

i agree with your last post. i dont understand why anyone would be motivated to defend shaq's behavior either. what he said is clearly insulting to asian americans and asians. there's no way around it.

hi r380,

as for speaking up, i fully agree with you. nobody's saying anything about "beating up people" to solve the problem, that's obvious. all i'm saying is people should make themselves be heard if offended. the offender may not know his actions are offensive. i think the ones offended bears some resposibilty in bringing up an awareness in all of us.

19. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Oh my... What are you talking about? Do you know what Racist is? Again educate yourself on what "BEING A RACIST IS" Shaq did not say he didnt like Yao cause he is Chinese... "THAT WOULD MAKE HIM RACIST!" No doubt his comments were insensitive but like Clutch stated earlier, its funny how you forget all the good things Shaq has said about Yao. And then going to the team bus to shake his hand. No one is taking up for SHAQ in what he said wasnt insensitive but I am taking up for him in you (FATFATCOW) calling him racist. Dude get a clue....

20. fatfatcow

fatfatcow Member

if yao ming say fxxk u niggxa , is he racist or just being insensitive!!??? saying chingchongxxxxxxxxxxx is the same thing to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.