1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq's racial comments toward Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bonfirebook, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sun12

sun12 Member

I would very much to hear Tony Bruno FAKING African American ACCENT and talk to Shaq with that accent.

Well, the matter of fact is that Shaq felt threatened by Yao which is bizaar. He is the #1 center in the NBA, why worry about a rookie?

It is just African Americans now have a free pass with regard to racial jokes in public arena. But some of them do not realize they have been burned by racial jokes before.

The other thing about fortune cookies in the Miami game is that since a lot of players are African Americans, won't that be nice teams can give out fried chickens to some people? See the idea?

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

He's talking trash...get used to it!

Do you honestly believe that Shaq, and African-American, is a racist
    against Yao?

Please...

You need to walk in the shoes of a black person first before you boo-hoo
    to us!

PC has reached a level never before seen before!

3. DavidS

Serve them up!...yum yum....I can't turn down some good fried chicken!
    Yum, yum, yum....!!!

There's a difference from being a racist versus saying something that's
    stereotyping.

The next thing you know, we'll be calling people racist because they think that
    white American's like hamburgers!

God forbid we say something like that! :rolleyes:

4. mj230

mj230 Member

i don't know...as soon as the shoe's on the other foot, then even the most malicious insults are...o what's the harm...or...it's just good ol' fun.

think about it. we all have our roots. if some people felt hurt by your jokes or comments, then it should stop. regardless of what the intentions are. we'd all like that same courtesy if we're on the short end.

5. sun12

sun12 Member

Do you believe the media will allow people to talk racial jokes against an African American player? Any guy is willing to try in public to talk trash in racial terms against Shaq? I won't mind someone to stir it up in ESPN.

You know Shaq has so much talent. If he works as hard as Malone or Jordan, he should be way better than he is now. He can just show his play on courts to shut everybody up. Now his Lakers team is so bad and he is so overweight that he has to rely on trash talks in public.

6. DavidS

But why care what other say in regards to remarks?

Do you believe what they say? Do you really think that you are less
    than another person because of "malicious insults" from someone else?

IF you believe them, then you have problems.

Ignore the stereotypes (if it doesn't fit you). Pity the racist (it fits no one).

7. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

vwz,

Understand the difference between 'material' facts and 'immaterial' facts. What you have apparently cited in response to the initial post does not speak at all to the heart of what he was conveying.

Moreover, his line of thinking is cogent. The objective test one needs to use is to replace the principals in the comment with those from other races and see if it sounds in racism or insensitivity. You say 'people should not be disturbed by innocuous comments like the ones Shaq made'. By extrapolation, do you apply the same logic to the Fuzzy/Tiger episode? Would you also say, as you did about Shaq, that Fuzzy didn't know better? Would you also say, as you did about Shaq, that at the end of the day Fuzzy didn't mean to be demeaning? If you would, then I will disagree with your thinking, but at least say you are consistent. If you try to distinguish the two based on some far-reaching, tenuous differences, then you are definitely not applying your own line of thinking equally.

Also, how do you know Shaq doesn't 'know any better'? That seems pretty subjective to me. What does that even mean? Are you saying that if the offender doesn't 'mean what he said', coupled with 'not knowing any better', then the conduct or the words are excusable? Are we using ignorance as an excuse now?

Nobody accused Fuzzy of malice when the Tiger comments were made. It was considered per se unconscionable because of the content, not his state of mind. The same must be applied across the board, be it Shaq or anyone else. To think differently creates a slippery slope of subjectivity that is patently dangerous.

8. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

A tragic ending for the Lakers. Y'all should pay a visit to the ESPN MB. Those fans are bashing the coach, Kobe, and Shaq. I think the fame just messed their heads.

9. ASIA

ASIA Member

Imagine a white person saying just a bit of racial slur against an african american, the whole African American would go right after that guy. Why? Because African AMerican been here a long time and fought for their freedom against prejudice and slavery and have a powerful voice in their community and will not tolerate with any racial BS. While there haven't been any major racial slur or prejudice against the Asian community so minor thing like this will just pass by but it doesn't mean that it's right. It's just that some people either are ignorant or never thought and realizes that minor slur like making fun of another person's language can hurt another person but they're not on the receiving end of it so they don't know what it's like.

What Shaq says was probably a joke but coming from him, as an African American, he should've known better then that and it's a same! All that his people fought for and he should be embarrassed with himself.

I don't find anything's wrong with this post because it reminds people and people tends to forget.

10. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

what's your point? we are not talking about who is better and ****. we are talking about racism. idiot.

11. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

first of all, no one "knows" shaq's intent when he made those comments. so for those referring to his comments as "simple misunderstandings" or not, you are just obviously just making an assumption.

the intent of making the "ching chong" comments is obviously meant to insult and demean, at the very least. whether the person is racist or not, that's another question. but you don't say "ching chong" to an asian person on the street and not expect some sort of retaliation, verbal or physical. it's basically another way of saying "chink", "******", "spic", "kike", etc.
    to pass a comment off like that as a "misunderstanding" is not ignorant--it's just a subtle way of being an apologist.

confronting shaq about it through a protest when the lakers come to town might be extreme, but how else will the message be sent to people like shaq? as i am sure everyone knows, if you just absorb insults, people will only be encouraged to throw more insults.

it has nothing at all to do with political correctness. it has to do with respecting people, especially people who have never intentionally done you any harm. now if you have the balls to walk out on the street and say "ching chong" to every asian person you pass by, then maybe you would be backing up your statements.

12. DavidS

GOOD POINTS!

But, you can't expect the same level of consideration. It wont happen.

That's like a white person asking for reparations and consideration due
    to the persecution and oppression that they've received over the last 250 years.

He'd be laughed at.

13. mj230

mj230 Member

david,

"why care"? if everyone took that attitude, we might be back in the days of slavery.

i don't pretend to understand what blacks have gone through in the history of our country. that would be pure stupidity on my part. but if a black person has something to tell about an injustice. i'd listen and respect what he has to say. i might not see it his way but i'd respect his feelings because his feelings are valid for him.

how alex haley would have felt if all i have to say about his great book "roots" are...you mispelled this, this and that.

14. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Martin Luther King Jr had a dream..........his words have echoed across timeless generations, but Dr. King just wasnt speaking for the black community, I believe he would be outraged at any racial slur hurrled toward another.

We as people, Not as just any particular race should be outraged at hate.

YES, we are our Brother's Keeper, and we are all humans, we shoudlnt hate!

15. DavidS

That's right. Pretend you walk up to Shaq and call him a racist. What
    do you think he would say? Think about it?

Yes, it does. Political Correctness can go too far too! It's called censorship
    and oversensitivity.

Let's see, this would mean that we can never imitate anyone's spoken language; German, French, Spanish, English, African, you name it.

I guess you can just burn all the books and comedies that demonstrate parodies.
    Hell, put all the comedians in jail!

Respecting people? Heh....respect yourself.

16. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

mj230 makes a great point, which has been made by others on this board recently. essentially, if someone is offended--well, that means they are offended, period. trying to convince someone that they shouldn't be offended is in itself a bit of an insult, i think.

anyway, everyone is sensitive about their own culture and heritage. it has less to do with "who has been oppressed more" and more to do with just making sure you don't get abused by people. sensitivity/standing up for yourself doesn't necessarily mean political correctness.

17. ASIA

ASIA Member

You're soo funny. How do you expect people to ignore it if others try to fashion that stereotypes on a person? YOu make it sound so easy. We are looking for a solution not a Budhist or Zen way of thinking here. We know most stereotype doesn't fit us but some of the stereotypes was meant to p!ss off and poke fun of certain race of people and guessed what? It's certainly doing its job!

18. DavidS

So, you equate stereotypes and humor the same as slavery?

So, you see no difference between a jaywalker and a murderer, then?

You need to pick your causes.

Yes, I can see it now...Protest Shaq, boycott him, and take it to the Supreme Court!

Please...

19. ASIA

ASIA Member

I'll have to agreed with you on that!;)

20. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

don't get political about this. just accept the fact that people are offended and deal with it. again, if you have the balls to abuse people in public by being "politically incorrect", by all means go for it.

intent is the key word here.

shaq would of course deny that he is racist. have you heard anyone publicly admit to being a racist? i sure haven't. even david duke wouldn't do so.

secondly, people have a right to say whatever they want, no one is being censored (except for me, in my previous post). the point is, you face consequences. if you make racist jokes to the right audience, no consequences. if you are a black comedian doing the "ching chong" bit (quite common by the way) to an asian american crowd, obviously you would be mobbed. so to put it in a nutshell, no one is being censored. don't know where you came up with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.