1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq's racial comments toward Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bonfirebook, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonfirebook

bonfirebook New Member

Hello. My name is Irwin Tang, and I have worked for much of my life to improve the lives of Asian Americans. One of our greatest obstacles to living lives of dignity in our beloved United States are the racist statements made by politicians and celebrities. That's why it has been particularly disturbing to me as a proud American (and a Rockets fan) to hear Shaquille O'Neill demean Asians and Asian Americans in his trash-talking at Yao Ming.

I wish to know more about some things Shaq has said, in order to try to stop this sort of racist taunting, which the media seems perfectly happy to tolerate and even fan the flames of.

Please post any information you have about the following two incidents:

1) Before Yao arrives, Shaq, on The Best Damn Sports Show Ever, when addressing the Yao issue, speaks in a mock Chinese accent and does some mock kung fu moves.

2) Shaq is recorded saying, "Tell Yao Ming, 'chingchongwangyow' (etc.)" This tape was played on the Tony Bruno show.

Below, I have made a timeline of some of the things I have found interesting in Shaq's, the NBA's, and the media's handling of Yao Ming. Please excuse this long post.

Before Yao’s arrival, Shaquille O’Neill makes an appearance on The Best Damn Sports Show Ever (ESPN?) and when Yao is brought up, he speaks in a mock Chinese accent and makes some mock kung fu moves. (According to a Rockets Fan, who saw it, and also read it mentioned on the clutchcity.net bulletin board).

June 20, 2002. Before Yao arrives to the United States, Shaquille O’Neill announces that he will test Yao’s toughness by taking an elbow to Yao’s face. "Don't give me the MVP like you gave it to Tim Duncan," he said during this interview. "Don't give me nothing. Just give me my fair share in American, because I'm American." (Houston Chronicle 6/21/02). After Yao’s arrival, Shaq states, “I look forward to breaking down that mother-****er’s body.” Shaq says, “He (Yao) said my name three times, two in Chinese and one in American. You don’t ever call me out. I’m from LSU.” (Sports Illustrated) All this trash talk is atypical even from Shaquille O’Neill, who does not usually sound so violent and brutish.

Shaquille O’Neill, probably sometime in early December is recorded saying, “Tell Yao Ming, ‘yangwongchangchow’” The exact transliteration of the mock-Chinese gibberish may not be correct here, but you get the idea. It is the racist taunt that East Asian Americans have endured through the decades, often as a preamble to racist assault. Assault or not, it should not be dismissed, as it is the same as using the most offensive epithet on any minority group member.

Monday, December 16, morning. Tony Bruno plays Shaq’s latest comment on his show. From his comments, Bruno implies that he has played the comment in the past, perhaps on December 13. Bruno frames Shaq’s comment with his own comments. He makes some remark about Yao saying something about Michael Jordan (probably just used this as a lead-in), and then said that "no one can understand him (Yao) anyway." He also said in a tone that only discounts the importance of Asian Americans, that Shaq’s remark had elicited calls to his show from "a bunch of angry Asians."

Monday, December 16, evening. According to the Houston Chronicle (12/17/02), “In honor of Yao Ming’s first game in Miami, the Heat gave away 8000 fortune cookies. Yao found the promotion amusing, though he never saw fortune cookies having anything to do with his life.” (The next day, Jim Rome on The Jim Rome radio show slammed the Miami Heat organization for their promotion, which was based on Yao’s ethnicity. Rome said that teams should not use a player’s race as part of a commercial promotion.)

Tuesday, December 17, morning. Tony Bruno plays the Shaq comment another time. He and his partner then say that Shaq’s comment was “insensitive” but “not racist.” They point out that Shaq’s comment only targeted the Chinese language, not the Chinese people. Of course, they did not point out that Shaq was not trying to speak the language, but, rather, mangled it in order to demean Yao Ming by smearing his ethnicity. Bruno and his partner say something about their Asian acquaintances, who made some comments, which, interpreted by Bruno, make Shaq’s comment less offensive.

[Disgusted, I turn off the radio]

I tune in a couple of hours later, while driving to my workplace, and they are still talking about Yao Ming. Apparently both listeners and radio commentators are calling in with racist jokes about Yao Ming. In honor of Yao Ming coming to one city, a caller said that his laundromat would wash at half-price.

To this, Tony Bruno joked, “No tickee, no washee.”

Tony Bruno’s partner begins to crack a joke, but is cut off by the commercial. When they come back after the break the partner says that he was going to joke about how Chinese can’t pronounce the “r” sound, but he was not going to crack the joke after all, presumably out of respect for the Chinese.

One radio commentator called in to say that the Rockets and Knicks game would be moved away from Madison Square Garden (MSG) in order to avoid MSG poisoning.

Bruno commented about the use of MSG at Chinese American restaurants, “They put it on happy.”

Another promotional idea they had in order to draw Chinese to basketball games was to offer “free bike parking.”

Bruno called his show the show “of the people.”

They commented that they would never know what is racist because they would have to be that race to know if something were racist. That is, they’d have to be Chinese to know if something was offensive to Chinese. They don’t know what it feels like, they said. They also stated that there is nothing wrong with cracking racial jokes or doing racial acts “unless it’s an obvious act of racism.” They gave as examples burning a cross in someone’s yard or attacking someone physically because of their race. Their implication was that everything else should be fair game.

They then said that “if not for stereotypes, there’d be no humor,” and they said that the reason why stereotypes are funny is because they are true.

[These comments occurred in the space of fifteen minutes, and I probably missed numerous other racist jokes against the Chinese, in the other three and three-quarter hours of their show. Again, I turn off my radio in disgust.]

December 25, 2002, evening. During probably one of the most-watched NBA games of the year (Boston versus New Jersey, on the night of Christmas), Brent Mussberger laments that “the hordes of China” might “stuff the ballot box” and vote Yao Ming in as the Western Conference starter for the All-Star game. Mussberger asked “How many computers are there in China?” A few minutes later, Mussberger asked NBA Commissioner David Stern if there were any way of preventing the Chinese from stuffing the ballot box.

Who’s what:

Yao Ming is the starting center for the Houston Rockets professional basketball team. He is a rookie who has just moved from Shanghai, China to the United States in October. He was the first number-one draft pick born in another country ever in NBA history.

Shaquille O’Neill is the starting center for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team, and perhaps the best known basketball player in the world besides Michael Jordan.

Tony Bruno is the host of the Tony Bruno Morning Extravaganza radio show, which is broadcast nationally on weekday mornings, on the Fox Sports Radio Network. The LA Times called him one of the best sports commentators in the nation.

I listen to the Fox Sports Radio Network on 1300 AM The Zone, KVET, in Austin, Texas.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont think Shaq meant any harm in the things he did. Dont be too offended by any of his actions, he is just having fun.

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

This was posted two weeks ago. It's no big deal.

Shaq IS ignorant, but he is still better than Yao on the floor at this point.

4. t4651965

t4651965 Member

Asian-Americans have earned the respect of the vast majority of Americans, so don't worry one little second what some pampered sports start has to say. This is not worth your time.

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Then how come you don't know how to spell his last name?

6. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

Has someone ever thought that Shaq could be trying to say "gong xi fa cai" to Yao Ming (wishing you become rich) but forgot it all (probably due to a sudden soreness coming from his toe)?

Why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

Soulsong999
    ;)

7. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

Frankly, I am not sure why people are making joke about other's people culture or language. I think even if they said in a joking way, they should be more tactful in not offending anybody else. I think a lot of us still have some growing up to do. I see kid are making fun of other's kid but for an adult to do it then he still had a lot of growing up to do. I agree that for a public figure to make those kind of remark is not acceptable in my book. When kid looking up to their hero (like the sport figure) and they see their hero is mocking another language or culture then they think it must be OK. If their hero is doing it then it must be cool. I cannot see a person's heart so I cannot comment from Shaq's or the sportcaster's intentions when they were making those remarks. But if being funnny result in hurting someone else then that it is not a joke anymore. Sadly but discrimination is still a big problem in this world. And I am not just talking about racism. People discriminate for all sort of things(different religion, different region, different background,etc.) I guess people who discriminate really are not confidence about themselves. They must look for something to make them feel better than other in order to feel satisfy with themselves. They are self center and feel uncomfortable with anything that are not similiar to them. So in general I think you actually should feel sorry for those people.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So where does Shaq meeting Yao at the team bus and shaking his hand fit into all of this?

9. mj230

mj230 Member

hi irwin,

first, i like to applaud you for having the courage to speak out against biased and insensitive treatment against anyone. that includes asians, blacks, women...

people shouldnt dismiss comments like these as harmless. they are very harmful. just ask some people who these comments are directed against.

asian americans have made great contributions in the united states. they deserve a lot more respect, even from a classless and ignorant moron like shaq and others like him.

cheers,
    mj

10. vwz

vwz Member

Before you get on your soapbox and cry out indignantly for respect and recognition, please make sure your cry is fact-checked and spell-checked

It's O'Neal, not O'Neill; Yao Ming is not the first no. 1 draft pick born in another country (Hakeem Olajuwon, Tim Duncan, etc.)

People really should not be disturbed by innocuous comments like the ones Shaq made; Shaq doesn't know any better; it's sad that he thinks his type of humor is acceptable; but the truth is, at the end of the day, Shaq didn't make the comment to be demeaning, and I doubt Yao would take offense at the comment

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Well you're just running around protecting everyone who acts in a disparaging way to others (i.e. see nomar)...oh, but all in good fun, eh?

Sounds like you're never on the receiving end of any of this good humor.

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Did you know that a lot of wars have been started
    due to misunderstandings and misinterpretations?

13. Cohen

He did?

(oooh, Dod, almost 9900!)

14. Cohen

What does that mean? :confused:

15. DavidS

It means that bonfirebook was is to start a fight, due to a misunderstanding
    or misinterpretation of Shaq's words.

He said, she said...

16. DavidS

REPOST due to NO edit feature... :(

It means that bonfirebook was trying to start a fight, due to a misunderstanding
    or misinterpretation of Shaq's words.

He said, she said... [/B][/QUOTE]

17. sun12

sun12 Member

I remembered a couple of years ago when Tiger Woods just started to win PGA tournament, there is a guy joking Tiger might invite him for fried chickens and stuffs like that. It caused a huge uproar and the guy had to apologize.

It is just unfortunate that for African Americans, any ricial jokes/innuendos are not justified, See what happened to Trent Lott. but for other minorities, everyting is open game. What's the reason?

18. mj230

mj230 Member

cohen,

your point is exactly right. people dont feel the pain because they're not the ones getting burned.

19. napster

napster Member

Yao isn't an Asian-American.

20. Cohen

It's not 'he said she said' since it's on tape. And for misunderstanding/misinterpretation, maybe you can help those of us who lack comprehension...what does 'chingchongwangyow' mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.