1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major Shaq/Yao trash talk (Sports Illustrated)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, Dec 23, 2002.

1. napster

napster Member

I wouldn't exactly call that major...

2. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

He's not currently in the NBA but looking to get back in now that his suspension is about over. The article on him is very good. From all accounts he his a very nice guy...too nice...and it has cost him a fortune. He actually lives in Houston.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

And it'll be interesting to see how Yao handles this challenge. He doesn't have to outplay Shaq to make a statement. If he simply holds his own and doesn't back down, maybe snag a double-double and keep Shaq under 25/15, that would make a pretty big statement right there. After all, the guy's a rookie.

I've got a feeling this may be the first game in which we see what Yao is really made of. My money says he's more Hakeem and less Ralph.

4. mj230

mj230 Member

i dont remember the impact that stanley roberts made while in the nba. can anybody remind me?

hes not even playing in the nba now. is he tearing up the nbdl or something?

i dont think he was a big deal at lsu either. did they win the ncaa? was he all-american?

why is he talking so much?

the guy's a class act. isnt he?

5. mj230

mj230 Member

shaq shot 5/18 FT.

thats the second easiest shot in bball after the layup. i mean, theres no body guarding you and you can take your time.

wow, he's probably touched the bball everyday for about the past 20yrs.

this is somebody widely regarded as the best bball player in the planet. theres something wrong with the state of bball these days.

6. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Ming has a pattern of not playing so well against someone the first time around, then doubling his production the second time he meets whoever that is. I think he may not do that well against Shaq the first time around, but come their second meeting O'Neal better watch out. ;)

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

8. bigshrimp

bigshrimp Member

Had to say this is a good one!

9. dwmyers

dwmyers Contributing Member

Before the game, Bradley's efficiency rating was around 32, in the top 20 in the league. Now, Shawn Bradley's efficiency rating is around 29, 12th in the league.

Yao may have affected him, but that effect didn't linger at all, statistically. Any noise to the contrary is just that, noise.

Would Yao kick his *ss again? I think so, but Yao owning The Big Stiff doesn't make The Big Stiff useless against other players.

Dave

10. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Actually, Shaq has put on a lot of fat these past 3 or so years. He's not one of those guys who has 5 or 6 % body fat. However, 350-370 lbs is a whole lot of man to deal with. If Shaq can throw other 300 pounders (Sabonis, Reeves, Kemp, etc etc.) around like ragdolls, I don't see how he's going to have much of a problem with Yao Ming on the offensive end. He might have some trouble guarding Ming on the defensive end though, as he may be surprised at how cerebral and skilled a player Ming really is.

11. m00154

m00154 Member

Found an interesting article by Michael Ventre on MSNBC. That article was supposed to talk about the big clash between Kings and Fakers on Christmas, but somehow, Yao was being mentioned throughout the article. Extracted some parts of the article:

- In fact, despite the colossal yuletide clash between last year’s Western Conference finalists, basketball fans are buzzing one name and one name only: Yao Ming.

- Yao is the future. Shaq is the past. :cool:

- Yao is The Man of the Hour. Shaq is yesterday’s news. :cool:

- But since the end of last season, the team that has stolen the spotlight is the Houston Rockets, because their center has invigorated them. Their center has infused a franchise and a city with hope. Their center has shown leadership ability.

- Oh, by the way. Yao Ming? He’s making 79 percent of his free throws. The Rockets are 15-11.

- Call him (Shaq) The Big Irrelevant. :D :D

For those who want to read the full article:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/851169.asp

12. RedFusion

RedFusion Member

"And my man, he said my name three times," Shaq says, his voice rising. "Two in Chinese and one in American."

Last time I checked "American" isn't a language. Shaq is just an ignorant brute. And who cares what language he says your name in? He's never voiced any distain for you, Shaq, only respect for your abilities. What's your problem, Shaq?

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a working-class hero. That's all I am," O'Neal said. "Guys are trying to make a superstar out of a guy from the Shanghai Sharks, make a phenomenon out of him already."

O'Neal went on about his similarity to "the construction workers, the police officers, the firefighters," explaining he does not need accolades.

"Don't give me the MVP like you gave it to Tim Duncan," he said. "Don't give me nothing. Just give me my fair share in American, because I'm American."

He did say he would introduce the NBA to Yao by introducing Yao to his elbows.

"Street," O'Neal said of what is awaiting Yao in the NBA. "Playing in a gym, shooting jumpers and all that ... that's fine. But I'm street. I'm how to take a 'bow to your nose and (make you) think about what I'm going to do next time down."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Before Yao came into the league Shaq was already talking about himself being like a fireman, a policeman, a representative of the working class American. Shaq was all trying to say how American he was and how he was going to stick it to Yao for all America. That really gets me mad. The guy is having a hard enough time adjusting to the United States enough and Shaq is trying to alienate the guy because he thinks Yao isn't American enough. That must be the most un-American thing somebody can do. I don't read about Shaq talking that much trash about other NBA players, not even Duncan.

Shaq needs to put some thought into what he says. I can respect how competitive he is but he needs to voice his competitive fire in a more tactful way. Jordan never cussed when he talked to the media about his rivals. He put more thought into his words. Shaq, as a representative of the NBA, needs to do the same, especially when he could possibly be offending millions of people in China. Let's use basketball to bring two countries with vastly different cultures together. That would be beautiful.

We can all agree that Shaq didn't need to talk about being American, being a firefighter, policeman, etc. when talking about basketball. Let's talk about the game itself. Shaq, don't antagonize Yao because he's new to this country.

And my predictions for Shaq vs. Yao:
    Shaq: 28 pts., 14 rbs., 3 blk.
    Yao: 14 pts., 8 rbs., 2 blk., 2 ast.

And personally I like watching Yao play more than I like watching Shaq. Some things Yao does really amazes me while Shaq is getting pretty boring. Going up there and ripping a dunk. Knocking people down. I'm sorry but that's gotten old and boring. As a fan, I think Yao has brought a refreshing, graceful, intelligent game to an NBA. I hope Yao and Shaq can have a friendly rivalry in the future, just like Bird and Magic, just like Michael and the former two.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Who's Stanley Roberts? Seriously...

14. danjojo

danjojo Member

I'm afraid that will be impossible at least until researchers find a cure for ignorance and stupidity.

15. mj230

mj230 Member

so very sick and tired of shaq lobbying for attention and popularity. he's always advertising himself. the truth of the matter is, if his game was more pleasant to the eye, he'd be more popular.

16. Xiaoshu_Wang

Xiaoshu_Wang Member

I actually expect Yao to play well. Yao seems to play well when the hype is up. First breakout vs. Laker, then vs 7-6 Mav Sticks, then twin tower of SA .....

I don't think he can guard Shaq as no one ever can. But I don't think Shaq can guard him either. A few years ago when Laker plays Pacer in the finals, Shaq didn't do too well on Rik Smith either because Smith was playing face-up. He is too tall for Shaq to block his jump shot.

I actually expect a wash-off for Ming and Shaq.

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF, good 1.

18. ym11

ym11 Member

11-17, this is the Day.. a day for shaq, shaq is the one more eager to school Yao. at the game.. his teammates will get shaq the ball and walk away to let him play Yao one on one,

shaq is a bit petty and immature

btw. i really want to see they have a good match but not this one
    i love to see play by macth.. like C to C and F to F and PG to PG

19. redlizaard

redlizaard New Member

shaq is such a jerk,, and should really take leasons from ming who is a stand up guy,,,ming just isnt a great player ,,but is a great person,,just look how he helps opposing players up off the floor after a hard foul...that is really respectfull rather than acting like a big shot like shaq does...shaq always talks junk while ming
    lets his playing do the talking...shaq getting a huge contract while ming will hardly get any of his money...shaq trys to bully and push people around ,,,and physically hurt people..im not even going to talk about trying to gaurd shaq because some how the league and the refs make that impossible,,,,i seen a list of the leading players that go to the line in the league and it was,,,iverson ,,pearson,,mcgrady,,kobe,,all gaurds,,and then number one was shaq,,,,whats wrong with that picture???ming already has so much more skills than shaq ever did,,,he can post up or face up,,,rebounds ,,blocks shots,,and is a great passer,,great foot work and is just a smart player,,,hes a great shooter and MAKES HIS FREE THROWS,,,,lets face it,,,shaq should be without a doubt the leading scorer of the league as much as he goes to the line...i think when they play,, ming will get in quick foul trouble and be forced to the bench,,,but if some how he doesnt,,shaq better look out because hakeem is back,,and this time hes 7'5......and chinese,,, and for stanly........
    stanly who..................lol

20. fatfatcow

fatfatcow Member

No blue collar working class guy is making hundred of millions a year .the way i see it ,shaq feel threaten from this guy from China. reading from his comment make me understand why shaq is playing the way he is, no brain just power:D :D