1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans turn down Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by lue03, May 17, 2012.

1. Win

Win Contributing Member

As much as I would love to see The Texans on Hard Knocks (just Cushing, Cody, Barwin and Foster alone peeks my imagination) I'm glad they turned it down. They don't need ANY distractions. This is a critical juncture for The Texans and they are quite possibly on the verge of Greatness.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

maybe not huge, but certainly had some, where kubiak has none really. and then throw in jerry, TO, and others, and it's obvious why the cowboys were great choices to make great tv. objectionably speaking, the texans would be bottom tier for entertainment value.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

My point is that Kubiak isnt the cookie cutter guy youre making him out to be.

4. rezdawg

By the way, the stat that shows that Hard Knocks teams are unsuccessful in reaching the Super Bowl...kind of silly, imo. First off, its not like they are taking the best team to be on the show...How many times have those teams entered the season as Super Bowl favorites. Secondly, even if you are the best team, making the Super Bowl is incredibly challenging and requires both execution and luck.

The last 6 years...The Ravens, Eagles, Falcons, Bears, and Chargers have failed to make it to the Super Bowl...despite being favorites in many of the seasons.

Has nothing to do with Hard Knocks...and has everything to do with the fact that its hard to make it to the Super Bowl, specially when you have such a small sample size.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HBO pays people a lot of money to produce those shows. I guarantee you there are a lot of interviews that they filmed for each season of Hard Knocks that never makes the show. If they used the Texans as their team, they would probably interview Kubiak as much as any coach for any team they have featured on the show...and if it was all boring material they would show as little as they had to. This is HBO, they entertain. There are enough personalities on the team that it would be a hoot every week.

To say HBO is scraping the bottom of the barrel because you perceive ONE guy on the team as a boring personality is simply a person who is going out of his way to criticize someone they don't like.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Kubiak seems like a pretty private guy, so I'm not shocked by this.

That's like 4-5 teams that have turned it down, no?

The Jaguars are begging to get on it, but probably an option of last resort.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

the biggest star on our team is also a boring personality. i like him pretty good. the head coach will always be heavily featured on the show. hardly just "ONE guy". it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that HBO's formula is to find teams with coaches and personalities that are interesting and engaging to the rest of the nation's viewing public, not just the homers of the city's team that they film.

8. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

You're wrong. Sure some teams would be more interesting than others, but its freakin NFL FOOTBALL and HBO. Explain to me how 1+1 could possibly = 0 here...

9. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I'm guessing you are talking about Andre as our biggest star but how would you really know if he has a boring personality? He is pretty soft spoken during interviews but he only gives you what he wants to show you there. I think a person is more telling when they are mic'ed up during games because there is no filter and he was like a different guy when they had him do that. I also think Arian Foster has over taken him as the face of the Texans to the rest of the nation. The guy is on TV all the time now, he has a personality that will rival anyone in the NFL. There are several more guys on our team that would offer great entertainment (Antonio, Cushing, Barwin, Cody, etc...) and HBO saw that which is why they offered Hard Knocks to the Texans.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

+1

As vanilla as Schaub is and soft-spoken as Andre is, there's no lack of high profile personalities on the Texans squad.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Then why did they approach the Texans in the first place?

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

i think my 1st post in the thread gave my thoughts on that pretty clearly.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

pretty darn sure that my perception (as a texans' fan that witnesses more of his interviews and goings-on than the rest of america) of him being boring echos the vast majority of the country's perception of him pretty precisely.

your question is akin to asking "How could HBO have known that Chad Ochocinco really had an outgoing and extrovertive personality until they actually filmed him?"

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Jerry Jones should have the Cowboys do it again. It worked out so well the first time with the convicts on the team. Not like his team is going anywhere. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Plus, Jerry is an attention w****. Only problem is Garrett is a one-dimensional robot-like personality who says the same stuff over and over with no flare in a monotone. As a Cowboys fan, I would love to see the Cowboys do it again even though the show really is the kiss of death even before the season begins.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

cardpire is there any Texans related info that doesn't make you a miserable as possible?

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

:)

SUPER BOWL.

sorry, still have massive Oilers lag that i have been unable to cure. misery till championship is my motto.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

jaguars "pick me, pick me, pick me", what a bunch of losers.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I cried Oilers - Buffalo. Oh god im having flashbacks now :mad: :(

:grin:

19. rezdawg

How do you explain the Atlanta Falcons being the first choice for Hard Knocks? Big personalities amongs players and coaches there? I hardly doubt anyone outside of Georgia is interested in anything thats going on in the Falcons locker room.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

i can't explain it, and i agree...it would be a weak season that i would be much less interested in watching than previous seasons.