1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I ts time to go back to the traditional way of playing!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Rockets are not getting the new ideas of how Rudy thinks Basketball should now be played. He needs to go back to his old playbooks and refresh his charges with a more simple way of playing. A way that all can understand and follow.
    Dribble Mania would be out of the door, the ball would be moved up the court as quickly as possible. The Center or Power Forward would get passed the ball FIRST and attempt a shot or make the decision to pass out to an open shooter. If the shooter becomes guarded before his chance too shoot the ball goes back in or onto the next open shooter etc etc. WE won TWO CHAMPIONSHIPS using this simple way and the pieces are in place for us to repeat.Of course the Game would NEVER be played with THREE SMALL Guards on the floor at the same time. Larry smith would hold seminars for the big men on how to play and guard like 'he men', not a bunch of girls letting old Malone score over 31pts.Calvin Murphy would hold seminars on passing the ball and getting rid of Dribble Mania. CD would hold seminars to teach the BIG MEN how to shoot a 'sky hook'. After about a month of serious effort the Rox might come onto the floor and look like they can play Team Basketball.

2. mj230

mj230 Member

yeah...it should be more like 10 passes, 2 dribbles and then shoot as oppose to 10 dribbles 2 passes and shoot. ;)

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yetti,
    I completely disagree with you. I think the Rockets are starting to get what Rudy T wants on offense. Did you see the nice pass that Eddie G made to a cutter going to the basket on the first play of the game for an open lay-up? How about the give and go between Yao Ming and James Posey in the first half. The Rockets had several little mid-range jumpers because the defense was sagging in on Yao Ming.

The offense was not and has not been the problem for the Rockets as of late. The problem is defense right now. Against Atlanta Glen Robinson was making unchallenged shots the entire 1st half. Troy Hudson burned us when we played against Minnesota and who the hell ever heard of Troy Hudson. Last night it was Calbert Chaney and Matt Harpring ! What in the Hell is Calbert Chaney and Matt Harpring doing playing like All-Stars against us!?

I’ll tell you why it is happening, it’s because we are not going out and challenging the shots. We are laying off of people, who are not that great at driving to the basket anyway, and daring them to make open jumpers and they are doing it. Against the Jazz; by the time we decided to start playing defense the other players were already in a zone and feeling confident and good about themselves and that is the last thing you want the opposing players to do. We need to get back to putting a hand in the face of the shooter starting at the beginning of the game so when the fourth quarter comes around he is out of rhythm and not feeling too confident in himself.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they're still young...they're still a work in progress...they're already dangerous. be patient.

5. IVFL

IVFL Member

This was only the second game I was able to see of the rockets this year, but I will say, they look tons better than they did against Seattle. The O is improving Big time, and if people can start CATCHING those great passes from Yao, then we will be in buisness. Also I know how much people hate Utah, but the fact remains they are still a great TEAM, right now we are heading in the direction, but we are not the TEAM that Utah is. The Rockets have better basketball players but they are still learning to work together as a team.

6. witchboy

witchboy New Member

last night the mailman's burning up was a lil bit 'abnormal'. The recent 2 seasons, each time i watched Malone's games, i found him just lost aims. Sometimes he missed his jump shots w/o anyone guarding him. Anyway, i really respect the perfect combination of Malone/Stockton. They are great. Yaoming and young kids in ROX should learn from the 'Olds'.

7. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

Thank you, Yetti. I was about to post similar thread. I don't know why it takes the Rox at least 12 seconds to establish an offensive play. And it got worse whenever Moochie was playing. What was the reason to dribble the ball on the top of 3pt line for 10 seconds when all the other players were standing still? The Mavs are the expert in this area. They don't milk a single second of the shot clock. They would take any shot as early as possible before the defense could react timingly. I'm not saying it is the best way to go, but it seems working very well for the Mavs.

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two passes! I wish!

9. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I agree that the offense had improve. We did see more passing the ball around last night that result in 54% FG shooting. We see much less dribble compare to a game last year. So, overall, I am happy with the way the offense is improving. When Posey start to play more then the defense will also improve. Last night we just run into a well oil machine at the end. If they can continue to play like last night and cut down on turnovers, they will win a lot of games. Remember the Jazz are playing well lately. They beat Dallas by 19 in Dallas a few days ago.

10. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

As crash was saying, the offense is fine and the defense is what needs to improve.

In addition, this team needs to learn to close out games. Coaches maybe able to simulate the situation in practice, but the real learning comes from the games itself. Just have to wonder how long it will take for them to get it (for some teams, its never).

11. alaskansnowman

I agree with Crash.

12. SLA

SLA Member

It needs improvement! And our defense is good, but I think Cuttino Mobley should not guard a guy that is much bigger taller and strogger than he is. We should stick with zone defense with Eddie and Yao in the middle. We could put Cato with them too.
    Glen Rice only took like 2 shots yesterday. He must be injured.s

Our 1st quarter starts are terrible! We barely ever lead in the first quarter. That's where we get blown out and then we have a great comeback. We need to take control of the game.