1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could be a professional athlete in any one major sport, what would it be?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Classic, May 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Definitely. Just look at Bradford. He had a 20+ mil salary before doing anything. Of course, with the rookie pay scale in the new CBA, this will cut the new QBs back, but man, Bradford had perfect timing.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just curious but how much does a PGA Majors level caddy make? Do they get paid by the golfer a percentage of tournament wins or are they paid a fixed fee contract to a golfer?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sure if it's just about the money but if I could earn a lot of money being any pro-athlete I would choose something that I love. I don't mind playing golf every now and then but its not something I love.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

6. davo

davo Contributing Member

This is a really tough question. Part of me says golf becuase it seems to be the least stress on your body, and seems like a good lifestyle. The problem is, like any individual sport, it is much more mentally tough, and probably a more solitary lifestyle. With a team sport, you have the camaraderie, and probably a fair bit less pressure. The team sport I would most like to play is Aussie Rules football, but there is not enough money in it, and it is incredibly tough on your body.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

8. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

A formula 1 driver. They get paid the most out of any "athlete"

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Did not know that. I thought Baseball and Soccer is the sport to be in for big salaries. But it does make sense... considering their bosses are huge international companies like Ferrari, Mercedes, etc.

10. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Soccer then NBA.

11. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If you're in it for the money NBA's probably got the most super high paying jobs. But it's brutal on your body -- and you have to be freakishly tall to begin with. Football QB/ Formula 1 etc sound great -- but such a combo of luck and circumstance to excel (plus talent, of course). So few jobs. So easy to lose one.

I'm going for hockey player. Just because it's my sport. Even though the pay's relatively less (though I could get by on a couple mil/yr), and it, too, is tough on the body and would affect my good looks. MLB a close second. How cool would that be.

Is golf even a sport ;)???

12. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Same here.

13. Kate81

Kate81 Member

MLB.

If your a SP, you pitch once every five days. In the MLB, there are 3/4 game series, so if your in a cool city... you'll have plenty of off time to do things.

Still make a lot of money and less risk of injury.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Tie between NBA, MLB, and soccer (but not in the MLS....they make peanuts). It would have to be EPL soccer. The NFL would be awesome to be in, but the toll it takes on your body is just too much risk for me. I'd want to be able to play with my kids after I retire.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If we're using an extremely flexible definition of the word "sport", I'd have to go with poker.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Left-handed relief pitcher.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

NBA.

I love basketball, it's easy to get endorsements. Plus, when you get old you can travel the world and play ball in Europe and Asia.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I thoguht this was about what sports you love and always dreamed of playing as a pro, kinda awkward how people here only think about taking it easy and chillin.

19. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I think it is that paired with a few other factors (quality of life afterwards, schedules, etc.). As a kid, I would've loved to have been a baseball player, but considering other factors (not just love of the game), I'd say golfer. Money is less guaranteed in golf, but it is something you can do for many decades barring injuries/inability to keep tour card. And the prize money is 100% performance based, not guaranteed based on past performance.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xoYycHZ-No0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>