1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Floyd Mayweather to fight Cotto

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lue03, Feb 1, 2012.

1. what

what Member

Speed is not everything in boxing. I want to see how floyd is going to deal with cotto's power?

Mayweather has a tendency to fall back on the ropes and rely on his defense too much. He did it against Ortiz, Marquez, De La Hoya.

De La Hoya was the only guy capable of making him pay and some even think that Oscar won that fight.

I think that people remember what Pac did to cotto and they think that cotto is a slow bum. The reality is that Floyd is NOT the same fighter as Pacman. He isn't going to fight with the same speed as manny fought at and so this fight is a much better matchup for cotto.

The reality is is that Floyd is going to get tagged in this fight with more power than he's seen before. I want to see how he responds to it.

Of course floyd is going to try to make it a boxing match and stay out of trouble, but I just don't see that happening here.

2. what

what Member

Where was mosley's magician defense here and this is why Floyd is so afraid of Pacman, because if pacman would have hit him like that floyd woulda got dropped:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_RzJcBc6HDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. what

what Member

Cotto needs to do exactly what Sugar Shane did. Attack floyd's body and then come over the top with a straight right hand and floyd is going to be in trouble.

4. Dei

Dei Member

[​IMG]

Cotto making Floyd look 5'6?

5. jae713

jae713 Member

Any links for this fight?

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Shane hits much harder then Cotto. It's not even close really. Cotto is an accumulation puncher. He doesn't have one punch KO power. I have no idea where you got that from.

All bad examples. Floyd carried JMM in that fight and Marquez didn't win a round. Ortiz was a mental midget who imploded and the fight only went 4 rounds. There was no other way for him to fight DLH. The best example would be how Castillo fought him.

Nobody with any sense thinks DLH won that fight.

Nobody cares what Pac did to Cotto as it was at a catch weight like all Mannys fights. Cotto will be a much better fighter in the ring tonight but he won't have anything for Floyd. Miguel is very hittable. Even in the second Margs fight he was getting caught a lot. You're right about the last part. Floyd is a much better fighter. Manny should be coming off a loss to JMM.

Cotto won't win more then 4 rounds.

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Agreed, I say he wins the first 2...if he doesn't get lazy with his jab after the first. Then maybe one more somewhere in the middle before it's lights out for him. I would be surprised if he wins more than 3 really. He could squeeze out some if he works the body early. But it's harder to hit Floyd to the body than it is to the head.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Actually, Floyd going on the ropes is a tactic mre than anything. He uses the ropes to lean far back as possible and gets his opponent to open up. My prediction, Floyd wins a shutout. Could be boring unless Floyd goes in for the kill. Cotto is a damaged fighter. He was never the same after Margarito and even worse off after Manny.

9. King1

I think it's going to be a gloried version of the Gatti fight. Cotto has a good jab but after he starts getting countered i think he'll abandon it.

10. what

what Member

If the fight goes the distance, Cotto will be demolished on the score cards, that much I agree with, as it will have become a boxing match and Mayweather is tremendous at making in ring adjustments.

But like I said Mayweather's reputation for defense gives people the impression that he can't be hit or hurt which is not the case as this was proven in the mosley fight.

The real big advantage that Mayweather has is his in ring adjustments, after that second round Mosley couldn't regain that form which I attribute to Maywether's stellar adjustments.

11. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

the only chance Cotto has is the first few rounds.... KO floyd. then, the technical skills of Floyd will take over...

1 person likes this.
  12. King1

Floyd was also hurt by Corley and Judah. He's not invincible. I think Lara would give him a really tough fight. If Sergio caught him like Mosely did he'd be in serious trouble. I just can't see any possible way Cotto hurts Floyd. At the end of the fight people will be wondering why they paid $65 for a sparring session.

Shane is just old and doesn't throw combos anymore. Outside of the Margs fight, he's been a one punch at a time guy for a long time. He loads up and tries to knock people out because his reflexes, timing and speed have decreased so drastically. We're talking about a guy who needed a last round KO against Mayorga. I think Floyd just got sloppy in the second and paid for it. I also think that punch that made Floyd's knees buckle would have dropped or ko'd most guys from 47-54

13. dragician

dragician Member

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What time is the fight?

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Staying in and ordering the fight tonight. I expect Floyd to win but think Cotto will test him a few times early on. Also really looking forward to the Canelo and Mosley fight.

16. what

what Member

Boxing ppv is sooooooo ridiculous. 70.00 bucks for hd?

For that price I want 4 high profile fights. Not 2. I can't see how this amount of money is justifiable any more.

I can't wait for the streaming to become hd level so that these prices can come WAY down.

17. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

anyone got links to the fight...much appreciated

18. what

what Member

19. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Anyone else having trouble ordering the ppv fight through Direct Tv online??? Plus busy tone on their 18005315000 number. FML.