1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Think Morey may amnesty Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Apr 23, 2012.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm arguing the reverse on the portland deal. Inherently by us getting camby, it meant that no better offer was available - league wide - for a vet center that can play. What does that mean about the value of the expiring league wide.

Also - we offered young scrap at no cost to other teams. Are the lakers concerned with the Dallas pick? hardly

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Besides Martin, I also believe it's highly unlikely that Scola would be amnestied. He's a very productive player, well regarded, IMO, around the league, perhaps more than he is here in this forum. He could easily be a key part of a future deal, just as Luis (and Martin) were keys parts of the deal squashed by Stern. Why on earth would we use a one time only amnesty on either one? You save that valuable chip, IMO, for the max player who didn't pan out due to injury, or a sudden, huge decline in production. Someone who would kill your flexability for years. Martin only has one more year. Luis, a solid deal at his salary, doesn't have the full amount of the last year of his contract guaranteed without meeting what I suspect are very high benchmarks for production, and if he met them, you'd still want the guy.

Morey will hang on to that amnesty chip with both hands. It would take an earthquake of a deal, the kind unlikely to happen, to pry that out of his paws this soon.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am not sure what you are arguing. Who here said, as you claimed, that if the Rockets had Camby last year they would have been able to get Budinger and Dwight Howard?

The Portland situation doesn't show Camby's expiring didn't have value-- remember, Portland was trying to get rid of salary (Gerald Wallace) and not taking back significant salaries at the deadline. They want the cap room to make a run at guys like Deron Williams (small chance) and Goran Dragic. The didn't get too much value out of Camby because they didn't want to take back non-expiring salary.

4. gregas

gregas Member

You can only amnesty clause on players that were on your team prior to the new CBA. Signing or trading for somebody - even if his contract was signed under the old CBA - and than using amnesty is not an option.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm speaking more to the point that historically when we've had expirings, we have dreamed big on their return only to be disappointed.

All the points that you and bima make are very good, solid points. I however, am very skeptical at this point in time.

I also whole-heartedly agree, and have since the beginning, that you don't amnesty for the sake of getting rid of a player. You only do so if there is a need for the space - Hibbert, Gordon, etc.. - and as you have aptly pointed out, you can vet that process before utilizing the amnesty.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe some fans dreamed big. However, I am pretty sure the Rockets management have a reasonable understanding of what an expiring contract can do. I also believe that I have such a reasonable understanding. Whatever big dreams some fans may or may not have is irrelevant.

As I explained, the expiring contract as a trade tool is only as valuable as your willingness to take back salaries. When the Rockets decided that taking on salary wasn't going to hurt their offseason free agency position, they have been able to to use expirings contracts eat salaries (like Jeffries and Fisher) and gotten paid for doing so. In other situations, the Rockets have been less willing to take on salary and have decided simply to let an expiring contract expire so that they can use the cap space in the offseason (example: Yao Ming's contract was allowed to expire in 2010-2011, they ended up cap room which they used to make runs at Nene and Marc Gasol and ultimately signing Dalembert).

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Amnesty expires in 10 years and only applies to contracts that were signed before the new CBA was put into effect so really it only applies to Scola, Martin and Lowry.

Everyone else has team options, a new contract or are expiring so I just don't see anyone other than Scola being waived via the clause. Martin has some value and a team would be willing to gamble on an expiring contract.

Scola is turning 32 in a week and will be owed too much money for a rebuilding team IMO. Morey said Donatas (he's not a center) was coming over and that just makes me think Scola is the odd man out. We will see what direction this team is heading on draft night.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Kevin Martin's Contract is more valuable as a trade asset this next season...so i doubt he would be amnestied...The best bet would be to move him to Minnesota: He likes Adelman's system, and the Rockets could be able to get back a Pick and webster...Why do the Trade??? b/c Adelman would request the front office to get him if the Rockets were looking to ship...and two he would actually fit well into a system with Rubio and Love... KMart has some value...

Minnesota's pick could be the one from the Jazz (Al Jefferson trade)...If the deal could go thru, the Rockets would have a chance at 3 First Round Picks...this season...Rockets should really try packaging these picks to move this year...

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

move up...

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we got Dwight and DWill, I can think of no better fit at SG than Kevin Martin actually. With all the trips to the foul line, getting in the bonus early from teams hacking on Dwight, Martin's efficiency would go through the roof again.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Rockets most valuable assets...sadly are KMart, Lowry and Scola...Dragic is a FA and doesnt count...

Sadly no one in Houston thinks that acquiring Dwight is even possible...If the Magic are looking for picks...Houston could be having 3 picks this year in the first round...(if they can ship KMart for that pick)

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Acquiring Dwight is very possible if DWill hasn't signed elsewhere. If Orlando is wise, they will trade him as soon as the season is over if he doesn't commit to an extension. If they wait, they lose. They either lose him to free agency or they lose tremendous trade leverage once DWill has signed elsewhere long term.

If Orlando is wise, they will trade him before free agency begins to maximize their trade value. When you consider all the factors, Houston has a greater chance to acquire Dwight than just about anybody except the Clippers if they decide to offer up the Blake/Deandre combo for Dwight.

There are more smart people in Houston than just me.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets have the best chance to aquire Dwight with no guarantee's and done on draft day. If Dwights party somehow communicates with teams like the Lakers or Clippers that he will sign long term if traded there then that could take Houston out of the mix.

If Houston acts quick they could offer the farm for Dwight on draft day, and still have the ability to put a playoff worthy team around him before the start of the season. The longer this thing lingers on, the less likely Houston will be in play.

However, this all comes back to Orlando's stance on risking Dwight's departure vs. moving on from this disaster. If history repeats itself then Orlando is going to hang on to Dwight till the bitter end, fire Stan, and see what next year brings. Not good news if your Houston.

14. gregas

gregas Member

Isn't he suppose to have a hernia operation and will reportedly be out for 6 months? Would a trade even be possible under the circumstances?

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I was ridiculed by fans on this board...for even suggesting such a "pipe dream" The Rockets management would need to act fast and speak to Orlando...if it is possible that the Magic would consider taking 2 First rounders this year...and 2nd next year...plus Lowry Scola and Morris/Dalembert/or Patterson...you do it...

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Not a hernia operation, But a herniated disk...two very different things...and yes...he is expected to be out for about 3-4 months...That's the entire summer...

17. HTownAllDay

HTownAllDay Member

Well sir, I guess you like torture watching every astros game!

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I agree, there is virtually no precedent for Martin to be amnestied as long as he's healthy and productive. SG is a crazy thin position right now, and there will be a fair number of teams who can easily use Martin in a bench role for 1 year.

As to the amnesty of Scola, I have yet to find out what the performance benchmarks are for his final, NON-GUARANTEED year are. I have to think that they are fairy steep; Shamsports reports that the Rockets initially agreed upon a 4 year, $36M deal before a fifth year was tacked on; I can only imagine that this was done for the benefit of the Rockets, in order to preserve him as a potential Erick Dampier instantly waivable contract if his play declined. It could easily be the case where he's either got 2 years and $20M where he declines and then becomes a huge trade exception, or he retains his form and is totally worth the 3/$31, where he can retire with the Rockets or provide value to a contender in exchange for a draft pick or two.

And with that in mind, amnestying him becomes an incredible headache; does this last, non-guaranteed year count as part of the bid that the claiming team must take into account (I believe that an amnesty claim must be a flat number over the remaining number of years on the contract)? Does the amount the Rockets are responsible for increase if he hits performance milestones with his new team? Anyone want to try and hit up Larry Coon on twitter to ask about it?

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I think most teams like saving the amnesty to get out of bad contracts..especially if the rockets will have to take back a bad contract on a big deal...

20. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Why is everybody making new accounts to make stupid threads????

Lawd just man up and stay on ur old account !!!