1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthcare Professionals and Students Roll Call

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Undergrad: UT San Antonio
    Medical School: St. Georges University- Term 1 (3 weeks til' finals)

The MCAT is a tough test. And that's all I have to say about that.

:cool:

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

EMT-B/I worked in Bryan/college station

Went back to College for my business degree.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Honestly, I like it. I worry that there are so many x-ray schools popping up, though, that the market will soon be saturated. There are a lot of bad x-ray techs out there, too. Nowadays, I think for the most part, x-ray is becoming a pathway to finding a more specific modality to work, rather than an end modality. I could not see myself sticking with just x-ray for my whole career. It becomes, I hate to say it, mindless after a while.

I chose the job because it's interesting, fairly exciting, and I like people. The people always keep you on your toes. I have met some very interesting characters in four years.

I like going to the OR. I like interesting things, and traumas. I don't like doing things like Barium Enemas (I don't know who does, honestly).

The more I learn about CT, the more interesting it becomes to me. The technology is fascinating, and the things we can come up with from a modified x-ray are just amazing. That is part of the reason I want to continue on in the path that I am choosing - technology.

I did a two-year program, and quite honestly, it was easy. I had poor study habits (i.e. not studying outside of school), and still graduated at the top of my class. The field combines two interests of mine - anatomy and physiology with technology. I think hospital-based schooling is the way to go, but I think they are rare, and the ARRT is trying to phase them out (unfortunately). I've met very few bad techs from hospital-based programs, but I've met a ton from college-based.

Once you graduate school, you basically just sit for a board. The x-ray board itself is pretty easy, as you basically build up to it for two years. The more you specialize, the harder they become, though. From x-ray, you can go into multiple modalities with anywhere from a year to four more years of school. MRI, Radiation Therapy, Nuclear Medicine, Mammography (assuming you're a guy, you probably won't go this route), Ultrasound (can be done without being x-ray first), Interventional Radiology, etc. I would say MRI and Radiation Therapy are the two most popular, and largest growing of those I listed.

As far as pay goes - I make fifty cents more an hour than I did four years ago when I started. With funding cuts comes a lack of raises. I worked at a hospital for two years and got no raise. In fact, the same hospital cut my insurance every year, while increasing the premium that I payed per paycheck. Then, they asked me to contribute from my paycheck to help them build a new ER. All the while, the CEO was giving herself a raise every year. To top that off, I was driving an hour just to get there for one of those years. I left that place the month I got employee of the month. The place I'm at now, I took a pay cut to go there. I have gotten a raise both years I've been there, though. Now, I'm making fifty cents more than I was at the first place, with excellent benefits.

To summarize:

While I like it, if I gave any advice, it would be not to go to x-ray school unless you plan on eventually going on for more schooling (whether that be a different modality, or PA school or something like that). I think there are other (former) x-ray techs on here that will tell you the same thing. It's a fun field, and I think it's advantageous for someone to work the field for a few years (especially if you're staying in the medical field)m but I would work it my whole career. I've always felt underpaid for some of the things I do (as I'm sure most do). I work in the Northeast part of the country, though, and I'm sure I make less than people do in the Houston area.

If you have any other questions, I would gladly answer them.

1 person likes this.
  4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Wow, thanks for the reply man I appreciate it! Actually I have a few more questions and I think I'll PM you if that's ok. :)

5. plates300

plates300 Member

I am one of the fortunate ones that do not have a facebook lol. maybe we'll run into each other during the semester.

6. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

I graduated from college based program back in 97 but I went ahead got another associates in Network Admin one year after graduating and moved into the Hospital IT side after 4 years as a CT tech. I do have to agree I thought X-Ray/CT and all of them were just boring and repetitive. It did help me relate to the physicians and healthcare workers better versus the IT people who tried to learn the medical side.

I now own my own EMR Consulting company and sell my own immunization software between the Hospitals/Clinic EMR's and the state registries.

7. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

From what I understand, they do matter somewhat. You won't be getting into a great medical school from some community college, even with a 4.0. As far as big universities go, you want to challenge yourself, but still maintain high grades. Also, these schools tend to have more opportunities to get involved, which will help your resume. These are just things I've heard/read.

I'm applying to medical schools next month! :eek:

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know what I should get into ct,ultrasound, or MRI. From what I've seen you have to suck-up, snitch, or know someone real good to get a job and I don't do any of those. I bust my ass working really hard but i feel most of the times it goes unnoticed. Even RNs can't get a job easy from what Ive seen.

9. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Awesome. I look foward to it.

10. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

Taking a different approach than than what I've seen posted here.

Undergrad: UT Austin - B.S. Neurobiology

Did a post-bacc certification in Health Information Technology.

Was just hired by Cerner where I'll be a consultant helping hospitals implement Cerner's Electronic Health Record (EHR) software. Wanted to be a doctor for the longest time until I decided just under 6 months ago that I didn't want to be pushing 55-60 hour weeks for the rest of my life as I charted on the weekends. Staying in school until 28-30 never bothered me, but really thinking about the type of work-life balance I wanted later on is what steered me away.

In regards to all the pending legislation e.g. Medicare Cuts, meeting Meaningful Use, Health Care Reform Act; no one truly knows how things are going to play out in the next few years in regards to clinician compensation.

What it does seem that is going to happen is that those who are on a lower payscale e.g. RN's, PA's etc. are taking more and more of the workload as it's cheaper to do so. Physicians are more than likely going to have a drop in compensation and payment method is going to change from fee for service to compensation based on patient outcomes.

11. moose

moose Member

Found my Dr. Collins material. It has a lot of stray marks/notes on it. If you are still interested I can erase them for you.

12. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

Anyone here a DPT grad? How is the work field after getting your degree?

13. itony

itony Member

emailed you!

14. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Bump. Anyone starting health-related studies this fall or will continue studying?

15. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I have to start applying for colleges this year (undergrad). Any advice would be appreciated.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'll be doing Galveston college online CT program.

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Your undergrad doesn't matter. Where ever you go just get good grades (you don't need a 4.0 so don't kill yourself, enjoy college). The MCAT is the biggest barrier between you and medical school right now and when your junior year rolls around, your life should revolve around that test.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

First day as a cat scan student and I love it. ***** is cray cray Brah Brah.

19. Two Sandwiches

Glad to hear you like it. I love CT.

You should have just studied on-the-job, though. I did my comps on the job, studied on my own, and got a 92 on the boards.

I started Radiation Therapy school two weeks ago. Start clinic tomorrow.

20. Two Sandwiches

Any updates?

If you have any more questions, let me know. If you sent a PM, I didn't get it, and I apologize.