1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to ask the hard question: Will Goran Dragic be a Rocket next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 10, 2012.

?

Will Goran Dragic be a Rocket next season?

1. Yes!

190 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. No.

117 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I voted for Dragic, I want to dream and make it happen.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's not about "ditching" anybody. It's about the simple fact that if we lose Lowry, we get something good back for him; if we lose Dragic, we get nothing back for him.

I believe Dragic will stay, but not as a backup. Either he will become the starting SG, or Lowry will be traded in order to improve the overall team.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Sign and trade?

If we match his contract offer sheet can we trade him right after or do we have to wait?

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's not a restricted free agent. UFA. Sign and trade only makes sense if the team he wants to sign with doesn't have the cap space to add him.

If we lose Dragic, 99% chance it will be him walking and the Rockets get nothing back.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

gosh, who knows?

but if the track record of our FO proves true, if we let him walk, we'll get someone even better.

6. feihung316

feihung316 Member

this board makes it sound like goran will get d-will money sometimes. I think we'll offer him a pretty good contract to stay with the promise to remain a starter. kyle will either get traded or still play a good number of minutes. k-mart is done.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

And I think Goran will not feel good taking the starting spot away from a teammate.

Maybe McHale and Morey can work out a creative solution.

But man, if he goes, it will not be to a team like Portland. They're a mess, and they don't even have a coach.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I think the key is what Les Alexander thinks. Remember when he said Kyle and Luis were his favorite players--and we spent what we needed to keep him.

If Les sees how much of a fan-favorite Dragic has become, he may approve keeping him at all costs.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Question is too hard.

Come back after playoffs.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

maybe FO can convince who finishes games is as important or more important than who starts them. and that having two great PGs is better than having just one.

because I worry also about losing kyle. Goran has deficiencies to his game that Kyle can help out in.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If it becomes an issue of wanting to keep the cap space we have I vote for using the amnesty on Scola and using that money on Dragic. With Pat and then Montie coming over we should be fine at the 4.

12. dartherus

dartherus Member

Dragic looks like the superstar fans are so eager to get. For the pro-tanking, it is more likely that Dragic will become a Superstar, than Rockets could get a superstar by tanking and getting a top5 pick.

FO must give him a serious offer AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. State taxes savings make Houston offers more interesting.

Besides, if Dragic goes, Rockets end empty handed, because he'll be a free agent. If Lowry goes, Rockets can get some very useful player in return.

That's why I consider it would be a HUGE blunder to let Dragic go.

13. 713

713 Member

Damn, only if we had either one during the T-Mac/Yao era....

14. dartherus

dartherus Member

Why an amnesty on Scola (he could become the MVP of the next playoffs) and not, for instance, on Kevin Martin (more expensive contract)?

Is there something I'm not aware of? I ask this because I read 'amnesty on Scola'here and there, and amnesty is usually used in overpaid players not delivering, and that's not Scola's case.

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

This question only becomes "hard" if Dragic decides to light up the Clippers or the Lakers in the 1st round of the WC playoffs. If he lays a dud in the playoffs, his stock will plummet. But if he shines and the Rockets actually advance beyond the first round... we could be talking about 8 figures.

16. anchel

anchel Member

Honestly, I don't think so.

17. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

why dont we wait and let goran decide :rolleyes:

18. gogigorangone

gogigorangone Member

Lets finish the season.. then create topic like this after. Pointless to talk about Trade/Free Agents.
    What if Rockets loses few games?

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it - if Parker and Ginobili can play successfully together, so can Lowry and Dragic!

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Well it wasn't my most serious of comments but I do have reasoning for it. There is no reason to amnesty Martin because next year he is an expiring contract and shouldn't be too hard to move either before the season or at the deadline at worst. Scola on the other hand will be 32 next year and still has three years left on his deal. I don't believe he really fits this team anymore because of his age so if it comes down to him taking $10MM off our cap for the next three years or Dragic doing the same I'd go with the 25 year old. However, that only becomes an issue if we plan on using the rest of our cap this offseason and giving Dragic $8-$10MM a year would mess that up.