1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sammy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Jeff Gundy

Jeff Gundy Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

#1043 RocketManJosh, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think a lot of people saw this coming. Hopefully, they don't impose too many more sanctions since Baylor already exercised some internal sanctions.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Your house of cards is about to come falling down. I told you so!!!

Oh, and Perry Jones is getting the hell out of town also. Scott Drew won't be far behind him? Major NCAA sanctions are likely headed your way. Hope it was worth the cost. Couldn't have happened to a more worthy group!!!

I'll check back from time to time...

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, something was obviously up. Its one thing for a school to emerge and become consistently good under a good coach, but when high-caliber guys start showing up out of nowhere you start to wonder.

I wonder how much the internal sanctions will appease the NCAA. If Baylor only gets a minor slap on, then what they've done will become a revolution in recruiting strategy -- bend the rules, get better, gain exposure, then take the imminent sanctions, but dilute the punishment to a point where the success outweighs the new restrictions. I mean, its basketball... you only need a handful of good guys.

If that's the case the NCAA needs to punish Baylor to the max now before this becomes common practice.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

death penalty

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Obviously, this was going to happen at some point or another. We all knew schools like UT would really pressure the NCAA to look into the school that is suddenly making "their" recruits more difficult to obtain.

The oncoming storm is something that anybody wanting to sit at the big kids table must go through. I just hope we are on of the few able to weather it.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I imagine Quincy Miller will follow Perry Jones III.

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

wtf was there actual UT involvement or you just looking for an excuse to divert the attention away from your cheating Bears?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If true I can already see Baylor's response -- "sorry dad, thank you for your monies, thank you for allowing us to be in your conference, please forgive me daddy" -- lulz. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

1200 calls and text.

/gg Baylor

14. sammy

Simmer down, hater.

Fyi, you can text as much as you want now so that part of the violation will be deemed minor. It would suck to be ineligible in the postseason next year. Baylor is the only school in Texas that has done anything significant in the tournament in recent memory. I'll take it.

You guys know everyone does this. This is freakin minor compared to the other things that go on in college sports. Texas, A&M...even smaller programs like UH...they all cheat in a variety of ways.

Odd that Griner's parents got Baylor into this predicament in the first place.

Vacate the Elite 8 appearances for all I care.. I think that would be enough. Everyone will remember what really happened. Calapari is living proof of this.

#1054 sammy, Apr 9, 2012
  15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  16. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

I'm not quite sure I understand why this is such a big deal aside from the fact it is an NCAA rule. If I had a school texting or calling me a billion times, I'd be pretty annoyed and wouldn't give them the time of day. I'd have to think it would hurt recruiting unless the messages were promising all sorts of perks or benefits which would make them way out of line.

17. sammy

Thanks for posting this. Finally, some reason displayed on this topic. 1 text/call per day over the allowed amount? How dare Scott Drew utilize this type of competitive advantage?!! Death penalty. Lol.

#1057 sammy, Apr 9, 2012
  18. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

No reported UT involvement. I just used THE school of the region as the example, because they have the most to lose when a doormat becomes rival. Their coaches have openly b****ed about Drew's recruiting in the past as well. If they are going to complain to the media about it, it would be ignorant to think they wouldn't want an investigation.

"It’s like what Lenin said…you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh…"

We know that all school circumvent the rules in recruiting, and I'm not trying to defend it. Nor am I trying to "blame," UT or any other programs if they did point the finger. I would expect almost any university to influence the powers that be to expose a competitor when given a window.

I'm just hoping this doesn't open the door to finding something that would open the floodgates.

19. Astro101

Astro101 Member

When I first read the headline, I was pretty nervous. Now that the dust has settled, this is really just minor stuff. Whew.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, something was up!! holy crap, a bunch of text messages. wow...what a dirty program.

sincerely,

Jackie Sherrill