1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Figures for Goran's next contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Dei

Dei Member

I see him getting MLE money for 3~4 years.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

9 to 11 mil a year minimum for 4 to 5 years.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

3 weeks ago i would have agreed.

But his performance since Kyle went out has been shockingly good.

18, 9, and 2 steals on 52% shooting. He plays substantially better as a starter.

He is playing great defense, attacking the rim, and most importantly creating, which he hasn't done a great deal of off the bench.

He's a complete player, and i think with multiple teams highly interested. He's gonna command 8 figures.

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Since it's a money issue and a lot of teams want him, he's going to get paid a lot, probably around 10-14 million a year. I think Rockets have a 20% of keeping him.

5. plee

plee Member

To be honest, he can get the same kinda money like Kyle... I don't think we'll be able to keep both.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Pay this man. He needs to stay a Rocket. Not only does he have a great game, his demeanor is also great. No complaining and little to no flopping out if nothing.

If I had to choose between Lowry and Dragic, I'm now at the point where I would pick Dragic.

We need Dragic like SA needed Manu when he was a free agent. Pay this man and trade anyone not named Parsons to get it done.

Build around Parsons, Lee and Dragic if you can. A package of first rounders, Lowry, Scola, Martin and a young player like Bud or Ppat should net a star.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'm don't know much about the salary cap or the new CBA, but outside of Goran being familiar with the team/system in Houston, do the Rockets have any advantage over other teams going into free agency in keeping him? Something worthwhile enough to give Morey reason to pay more than what he thinks to be fair market value for him?

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We get nothing if he walks.

Morey is gonna package Lowry with other stuff in a trade and pay Dragic.

This is beginning to feel like a forgone conclusion to me.

Some combo of Lowry, Martin, Scola, Ppat, Bud and possibly 2 first round picks with Lowry as the anchor of the trade, could net us something major.

1 person likes this.
  9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think we will keep Goran even if it means overpaying and eating into the 2013 FA cap space. But personally I don't see us hitting any home runs in 2013 as there are quite a few teams that will be players in that market too so I won't be too upset by that.

Since we can't seem to draw in the superstar talent at this time we should go after foreign players which some foreign players really fit the money ball player mold. Then as we start winning with our foreign lineup we will be the draw of foreign star talent. Then we become slight contenders which in turn draws in non-foreign star (maybe even superstar) talent.

10. Dei

Dei Member

What? 8 figures is almost superstar money.

11. Truth

Truth Member

What exactly is our cap situation looking like after this season? How much money will we have available? At this point, I think we have to keep Dragic at all costs, even if it means trading Lowry. Sue me.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Kevin Martin gets paid 11m ish.

Rondo gets paid 10m at the moment. I honestly think it would be a mistake for a team to give him more than 10m, but it wouldn't be that bad.

I would pay him around 8m

13. Dei

Dei Member

Kevin Martin and Rondo are overpaid.

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Sorry for the double post, but you guys remember all the stats Darren Collison put up for the Hornets after Paul went down? Now look at him.

This was Collisons stats as a starter when Paul went down.

40 mpg
    18.8 pts
    9.1 asts
    4.1 tos
    48.5% fg
    42.9% 3fg
    85.2% ft (on 3.7 attempts per game)
    3.5 rpg
    1.4 spg

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This situation reminds me of Beltran. He blew up in the second half of the season and playoffs and demanded superstar money. If Goran can maintain this level of play(19ppg 9apg 50+fg%) and blow up in the playoffs it very well can happen. The guy has prior history of showing up big in the playoffs(and he was just a back up then).

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Really? Rondo is a triple double machine, very good creator on offense. Martin is a very efficient 20 ppg scorer. I think they are both fair contracts. Monta Ellis gets paid 11m also for 20ppg inefficiently.

17. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I hope you're right it would really hurt to see him go for nothing.

18. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

pay him whatever is needed to keep him, dont let him go for nothing ... trade what it takes to get it done, we need him to be our starting PG long term

19. Dei

Dei Member

Rondo is still a role player. Martin plays one way and can't create his own shot.

20. Pete the Cheat

We are in a strong position to sign him, IF he, Camby and Lee are the only salaries we re-up. Shedding Martin for less salary would help the process...

I think $10MM is the ceiling based on the teams involved in the bidding. But even that seems high considering the luxury tax implications of the new CBA. Kyle got offered a starters salary of $6MM, somewhere a little north of that is my expectation...$8Mm range?

To the geniuses throwing out numbers like $14MM...derp. He's not getting paid near max money, get a clue.